Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Who are you
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 3:03 am
Another lakewood amother here.
I too am surprised how so few ppl replied from here
I Grew up half litvish half sefardie and married a chassidish boy. So I feel like I have a place in many worlds.
As a whole tho I look and act like a typical litvish girl tho my husband does wear a long jacket on shabbos.
I found imamother 3 years ago when I had a miscarriage and have been addicted since.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 4:17 am
I'm an american mother of 8 and live in israel 20+ years. I identify with the chareidi community in israel, but in america would be considered yeshivish. I work in hi-tech and thats how I have internet access and found this site many years ago. I consider myself open minded and a thinking person (and have become even more so since my oldest son began his struggle around 4 years ago). I really enjoy this site and getting to know about all kinds of people and how they think, their experiences, etc. Most people have so much more to them than meets the eye.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 4:39 am
You really want to know who I am?

I'm a special person. The world was created just for me!! You see, I feel I have a very special and close relationship with Hashem. I feel so lucky.

I have a positive attitude to life and try to accept everyone for who they are.
(I grew up in Switzerland where we just accepted every one regardless of their religious affiliation. Keep wondering if there are other swiss girls on here)

I am a very lucky mummy who is very grateful for the good life I have.
I have so much going for me b"h and try to enjoy life and make the best of each situation and like to use them as growth opportunities. I get so much satisfaction seeing my changes.

I enjoy dmcs and have a creative side to me too.

Yummymummy3

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 5:30 am
scottishjewgirl wrote:
Thank you so very much, the feeling is mutual!
This is me, and my daughter, I think some people are curious to what a European/Indian Jewish woman looks like. Tartan hat added for the whole Scottish thing LOL
https://I.imgur.com/oDfA4iJ.jpg

Hi Scottish jew girl. Do you live in Scotland or just like Scotland?
I love Scotland. Such a nice place.
Welcome to this site.

Sandrine

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 5:50 am
hi all! I like this thread!

I'm relatively new on here (I think about a year) and MO and leftish. I'm a professor, we have one son (adopted) and my husband stopped work to look after him. He has schizophrenia and borderline personality disorder and learning difficulties. My identity is very much being a mother and the joys and furies of parenting someone who struggles so much.
One of (many) things I like about ima is the diversity and the unexpected replies you get about almost everything.

Yummymummy3

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 5:57 am
Who am I?
I thought I was a nobody from a huge family. No one knows me. They all know my family, my parents, or one of my older siblings.
I've worked/ working on carving a place out for myself. I'm working on becoming a somebody that I actually like. Becoming my own self.
I've been on and off this site for about 4 years. I posted too much personal derogatory information so I came back under a different username (as I'm a different person now that I've found myself...) and post much less often and much less personal stuff.

Sandrine

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 6:52 am
Yummymummy3 - you ARE somebody - in reality and in G-d's eyes. You're doing great to keep working on reinventing yourself - I've found that to be the hardest thing of all.

Yummymummy3

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 7:20 am
Sandrine wrote:
Yummymummy3 - you ARE somebody - in reality and in G-d's eyes. You're doing great to keep working on reinventing yourself - I've found that to be the hardest thing of all.

Thanx for saying that. I appreciate it a lot.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 8:52 am
Yummymummy3 wrote:
Who am I?
I thought I was a nobody from a huge family. No one knows me. They all know my family, my parents, or one of my older siblings.
I've worked/ working on carving a place out for myself. I'm working on becoming a somebody that I actually like. Becoming my own self.
I've been on and off this site for about 4 years. I posted too much personal derogatory information so I came back under a different username (as I'm a different person now that I've found myself...) and post much less often and much less personal stuff.

Love your post!!!
Well done 4 becoming your own self. Such an achievement !!!
Applause
I hope you feel super proud!!

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 11:13 am
Who I am? is a very loaded question actually.
I can find a piece of myself in each one of you

momsrus

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 11:20 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
There were several extremely negative threads over the years.

Listen, your schools in Lakewood, Boro Park, and Williamsburg (and other communities) accept or don't accept people based off of how long or not their sheitals and skirts are, if the mother drives or not, and whether or not the father learns or works, wears a white shirt, has internet no internet filtered internet internet for business (many of the ladies here would prob have their kids expelled if the schools knew they were on here).

Nowhere do the schools ask if the mother keeps taharat hamishpacha, what level of kashrut she holds by (in fact, many of these schools require parents only provide packaged stuff, and many parents only provide junk for mishloach manot because they know people won't accept the kashrut) and what Shabbat in the home looks like. Acceptance is purely based on looks and how willing you are to conform to what the school feels is its version of Judaism.

While I would not marry such a person because they wouldn't marry me, if my kid felt that marrying someone Yeshivish or Chasidish was the right derech for them, I would absolutely let with my whole heart. But I would not contort myself to their standards - I would not cover if they came or if I went, and I wouldn't change anything kashrut wise. If my kid wants to hold a different level, then they can bring the food and I'll take a week off.

This is a given!

If the school were to find out that these three halochos werent' kept, these kids would absolutely not be excepted. I don't know why you would believe otherwise.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 11:27 am
I live in Lakewood now and have a chasidish family and community.
I grew up yeshivish and out of town! I don't know anyone like me who's family changed from one extreme to other like that. So that helps me understand all types of people.
People get surprised when they see how open I am to all kinds of experiences because after all, I look like a "narrow minded chasidish woman" (not my words.)
I'm gonna stop here because even though I'm anon, if I offer any more the people who know me will know.
In other news, I'm a creative soul and have struggles in marriage, parenting, family and work, like the rest of the world.
I'm always searching for more knowledge, self growth, and friends.
I enjoy chocolate chip muffins immensely. And hot chocolate. Preferably together.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 11:32 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I always wanted to take a poll on here - see what "type" everyone is. I sort of know it would never work. Everyone would bash me and be upset that we have to put ourselves in a box, and everyone would be complaining that they don't really fit into a type (I'm a bit litvish, but leaning more to MO...).
But it's still cute to read through this thread - I love seeing how women from all different backgrounds can come together! Thats what I love about this forum.

As for me, I'm litvish, live in Lakewood, husband learning, etc. Considered a pretty average Lakewooder. Yeah, I know that's a bit boring Smile
I wonder how many others on this forum are like me. Most of my friends have never heard of imamother.

Hey, I could've written this too!

pizza4

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 11:37 am
momsrus wrote:
This is a given!

If the school were to find out that these three halochos werent' kept, these kids would absolutely not be excepted. I don't know why you would believe otherwise.

This is true everywhere. Really, how does anyone expect a school to look into say, how shabbos looks in families homes? Should they peek through the window to see if they are serving chicken soup or chalilah broccoli? What if they don't sing zemiros, and instead they talk about trump? What if a mentally ill sibling is doing chilul shabbos by tearing things? What if the parents are yelling at each other and the kids all through the meal? Are the kids sitting nicely at the table or reading a book or playing on the couch?
Sorry, you don't belong in our school.

I'm saying that, some of those things can be found anywhere and the kids can still fit into the school.
About the hechsherim, that's just to respect others standards.
No one wants their child to stand out as so different in school.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 12:25 pm
I am chassidish and live in a chassidish neighborhood. I shave my hair and don't have a smart phone or internet (imamother at work). (And all the rest of the typical chassidish stuff, cover my shaitel, don't drive, wear beige tights...) and yet, when with friends in my community I sometimes feel like I'm being looked down at... like I'm less frum than everyone else. I do admit that I'm a little more worldly than average in my community... watch some stuff, keep up with the news, love to read (also, I'm on imamother)... I sometimes find myself keeping quiet about my opinions when in public just so that I'm not looked at as a "freak".
Somehow I connect better with women who are not chassidish. None of my best friends are chassidish.

I often feel disconnected from Hashem and my spiritual side (do I have a spiritual side?) though I do know in my head that Hashem loves me, takes care of me, and looks out for me, I have a hard time feeling it in my heart.
I often feel like I'm just watching my life happen, instead of being an active participant.
I'm just a regular person like everyone else, with challenges and triumphs, likes and dislikes, thoughts and emotions... just like everyone else.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 12:29 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I am chassidish and live in a chassidish neighborhood. I shave my hair and don't have a smart phone or internet (imamother at work). (And all the rest of the typical chassidish stuff, cover my shaitel, don't drive, wear beige tights...) and yet, when with friends in my community I sometimes feel like I'm being looked down at... like I'm less frum than everyone else. I do admit that I'm a little more worldly than average in my community... watch some stuff, keep up with the news, love to read (also, I'm on imamother)... I sometimes find myself keeping quiet about my opinions when in public just so that I'm not looked at as a "freak".
Somehow I connect better with women who are not chassidish. None of my best friends are chassidish.

I often feel disconnected from Hashem and my spiritual side (do I have a spiritual side?) though I do know in my head that Hashem loves me, takes care of me, and looks out for me, I have a hard time feeling it in my heart.
I often feel like I'm just watching my life happen, instead of being an active participant.
I'm just a regular person like everyone else, with challenges and triumphs, likes and dislikes, thoughts and emotions... just like everyone else.

You don't sound so unusual actually. I would wager that if you start conversing with people around you you'll find out that they have these interests as well.
Some do and some don't. It could also be that you have a higher intellectual capacity than the people that you're surrounded with.
Don't give up and reach out. It's good to have someone you can schmooze with.
Bhatzlcha

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 1:46 pm
Hi. I'm a newbie. I am litvish but live in BP which used to be mainly litvish but has morphed into Willy.

Am shocked by so many frum women on ImaMother adopting the Democrat religion:
Pro LGBQT, Pro Abortion,

parroting whatever the liberal press says.

But there are all types here and interesting discussions.

Last edited by #BestBubby on Mon, Oct 28 2019, 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 1:48 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Hi. I'm a newbie. I am litvish but live in BP which used to be mainly litvish but has morphed into Willy.

But there are all types here and interesting discussions.

What time period was BP mainly litvishe?

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 1:52 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
What time period was BP mainly litvishe?

In the 1960s. Maybe they were chassidish but didn't look like todays chassidim:

clean shaven, no shtreimel, women wore regular sheitels etc.

BP was more like flatbush then.

cbsp

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 2:06 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
In the 1960s. Maybe they were chassidish but didn't look like todays chassidim:

clean shaven, no shtreimel, women wore regular sheitels etc.

BP was more like flatbush then.

I think it was "heimsh" then, not necessarily Litvish.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics