Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
10 year old son - switch to male pediatrician?
Previous  1  2

gold21

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:56 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
He never checked your testicle? Wink

Lol.

I mention this because when we did switch to a female practitioner at one point, she did check that area on me. It creeped me out. We ended up switching away from her.

I therefore assumed there was reason to check females there as well, though I understand that it's not the same reason they check males.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:17 am
gold21 wrote:
Switch when the child starts showing signs of puberty

Until then, leave it

If examination of private parts feels uncomfortable , speak to the doc about having a male do that part, cuz yeah that's weird & awkward and should absolutely be done by a same gender physician.

My male pediatrician never checked that area on me. Is it standard procedure, or some do & some don't?

I don’t really get this?

Of course exposing genitalia is very awkward. Does it really get any less awkward if the doctor is the same gender?
Not for me.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:24 am
gold21 wrote:
Lol.

I mention this because when we did switch to a female practitioner at one point, she did check that area on me. It creeped me out. We ended up switching away from her.

I therefore assumed there was reason to check females there as well, though I understand that it's not the same reason they check males.

Yes my pediatrician checks the genitals for both genders at every well visit.

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:37 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I don’t really get this?

Of course exposing genitalia is very awkward. Does it really get any less awkward if the doctor is the same gender?
Not for me.

Whats not to get?

What's awkward for one isn't necessarily awkward for the other.

As I mentioned, I did have that area checked by a female practitioner pre-puberty. It felt strange, to me at least.

Post-puberty, I say same gender only. Opposite gender only makes it weirder than it already is. Puberty is awkward enough already.

But that's me. Just me & my opinion. Cool

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 2:44 am
Am I the only one who thinks that a female physician checking a boy is a lot more comfortable than a male??? I always thought males get awkward around each others privates.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 2:58 am
I dont understand this discussion and question.
what diffrence does it make? its important to find good dotors, why does the gender play a role?
please please explain this to me.

are you afrain of inappropriate behaviour?
are you trying to avoid unconfortabloe or awkward situations during a physical exam? well for teenagers usually thes e exams are awkward. Even most adults dont enjoy exposing their genitalia Wink what difference does the physicians' gender make. please please explain this to me

btw: I have had both male and female gyns, doctors, pediatricians (some were great some were okayish, sometimes we needed to swich, but gender was never a topic. oh and my aunt is a female gyn. I doubt most of her cliens chose her because she is female (maybe some exceptions like abuse victims , but generally speaking patiens chose her because she is an excellent diagnostician).

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 3:10 am
I would straight up ask DS. Let him know it's ok to prefer a male or female doctor.

If he's healthy, and both doctors are equally qualified, go with the one who makes him feel the most comfortable.

I asked DD about this when she was around that age. At first she wanted to stay with the male doctor she knew well, but a year later she said she wanted to switch to a woman.

You have to respect your child's sensitivities, and it's important to ask if you're not sure. Just because they are too shy or embarrassed to bring it up first, doesn't mean they don't care about who they see.

top mom

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 6:50 am
For my kids, I would stick to same gender pediatricians once they reach puberty. They're awkward enough, and I feel that this can make them feel a bit more comfortable.
Regarding myself, who cares? Wink Once I started Mikvah, childbirth....

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 8:35 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that a female physician checking a boy is a lot more comfortable than a male??? I always thought males get awkward around each others privates.

Interesting theory. Except that one is a child and one is a practitioner, so it's all about what the child feels comfortable with. Take a poll of teen boys and let me know how many prefer females.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics