Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
The Truth About Fertility - Ted Talks Video
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 5:51 pm

amother
Red

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 7:08 pm
I’m infertile so I can’t bring myself to watch it. Can you sum up the main points?

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 7:41 pm
Basically she says that women don't realize that as they age, their chances of having healthy pregnancies/children decrease dramatically, that women are deceived into believing they can have it all- career first and then kids when they feel ready.

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 7:44 pm
Thanks for the reply
Hugs to op

#BestBubby

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 7:48 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I’m infertile so I can’t bring myself to watch it. Can you sum up the main points?

Hashem should bentch you soon with a family.

Here are the main points:

1. Older women are at high risk for infertility.

2. Presenter thinks this is HIDDEN - that women are encouraged to do career first and not warned that over 40 might be too late - or entail very difficult and expensive fertility treatments, miscarriages, etc.

3. Advice: have kids in your 20s or freeze your eggs if you are over 30 and not yet ready to start a family.

amother
Red

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 7:50 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Hashem should bentch you soon with a family.

Here are the main points:

1. Older women are at high risk for infertility.

2. Presenter thinks this is HIDDEN - that women are encouraged to do career first and not warned that over 40 might be too late - or entail very difficult and expensive fertility treatments, miscarriages, etc.

3. Advice: have kids in your 20s or freeze your eggs if you are over 30 and not yet ready to start a family.

I’m glad I didn’t watch it. This is definitely not hidden to m, this is my reality

#BestBubby

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 7:54 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I’m glad I didn’t watch it. This is definitely not hidden to m, this is my reality

Well the presenter had her miracle baby at 46 - without any intervention and carried to term despite 5 previous miscarriages. (Had a previous child at age 42 following a miscarriage).

I hope you and others have your "happy ending".

#BestBubby

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 7:55 pm
I think singles who are over 30 should be advised to freeze their eggs so that when they marry they can have young eggs.

seeker

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 8:59 pm
I thought about egg freezing but when I looked into it it seems the success rate of having a baby from frozen eggs is very low. Relative to the cost, I figure prayer has better odds.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 10:55 pm
This is not a "hidden truth". Women are constantly pressured into having babies young whether they want them or not.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 11:24 pm
100% what she said, about getting all of this out into the open. I agree with this so much.
And I also agree that people should be taught fertility education, just like 2ex ed, very important.

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 12:05 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

And I also agree that people should be taught fertility education, just like 2ex ed, very important.

I attended a public school are our Health curriculum included fertility education as part of sx ed. This was ages ago.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 12:08 am
DrMom wrote:
I attended a public school are our Health curriculum included fertility education as part of sx ed. This was ages ago.
Thats great. Now if that would also happen in frum schools, that would be amazing.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 12:39 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
This is not a "hidden truth". Women are constantly pressured into having babies young whether they want them or not.

That strongly depends on which community or segment of society you live in. I grew up secular - the "ideal" was going to university, then building your professional experience, working, specializing, getting married - maybe - in your thirties and then having children in your late thierties or early fourties, after you have proven your success in life... and nobody said anything about it being too late.

ora_43

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 1:24 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
That strongly depends on which community or segment of society you live in. I grew up secular - the "ideal" was going to university, then building your professional experience, working, specializing, getting married - maybe - in your thirties and then having children in your late thierties or early fourties, after you have proven your success in life... and nobody said anything about it being too late.

I agree with this BUT I have to say, by the time I was in my 20s I was seeing plenty of articles warning that it's not so easy to have kids after age 35 or so.

I don't know if I never heard about it as a kid because there wasn't as much awareness then (but now there's more awareness), or just because I was a child/teen and the absolute last thing parents or teachers want is for a 16-year-old to feel pressured to get pregnant.

But whatever the case I definitely don't feel like this is a hidden truth, at all. Some people aren't aware of it, the same way some people aren't aware of all kinds of basic health-related knowledge. But your average educated, professional woman in her late 20s has heard about age-related fertility decline at least a few dozen times.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 1:39 am
Many people wait later - not quite 40's. But yes women are both told to hurry and to wait, seemingly suddenly. I am so happy I didn't belong to those circles.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 2:44 am
seeker wrote:
I thought about egg freezing but when I looked into it it seems the success rate of having a baby from frozen eggs is very low. Relative to the cost, I figure prayer has better odds.

Fascinating https://www.google.com/amp/s/w.....e=amp

amother
White

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 5:02 am
I mean, she's right about the facts, but are there really that many people who are not aware of this? I already knew this as a teenager, and no, I didn't learn it in school or anything, I just liked to read the newspaper, and headlines are constantly blaring this. I feel like you'd have to live under a rock or be exceptionally stupid not to know that fertility declines as you age.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 5:37 am
The term that someone's biological clock is ticking is hardly new. So I'm not sure what "revelation" this presenter thought was gonna be unveiled.
I agree, you would have to be living under a rock not to be aware.
And the new York Times wrote a cover story about the reality of freezing eggs some time ago.
That said, I personally know of a number of women who naturally had babies (including for the first time) well into their 40s and even at 50 or just over. Healthy ones, too. Some were oops babies, some were planned. I think there is so much about fertility in older women we really don't know about and hasn't been fully and deeply researched.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 6:58 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
The term that someone's biological clock is ticking is hardly new. So I'm not sure what "revelation" this presenter thought was gonna be unveiled.
I agree, you would have to be living under a rock not to be aware.
And the new York Times wrote a cover story about the reality of freezing eggs some time ago.

I think that's not entirely fair. I was in my twenties 20 years ago and back then egg freezing wasn't much of a done thing yet. And if you are unmarried and not yet planning to be married and live in a non-Jewish environment where most people have only 1 or at most 2 children, then you might get the idea that it's no problem to wait and then pop out 1-2 kids when you're 39. Which might or might not work. That's not the same as living under a rock, you know? I think women in frum communities talk a lot more about fertility.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics