Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Food stamps
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 1:43 pm
We werent approved to get food stamps or wic but we need it so badly. Is there anything else we could do?my husb showed them texts of me begging him for milk and bread for the kids and they said they will reassess our file but still not approved. We get some food from an organization like cereal and so so greatful but we cant afford milk and other basics. Is there anything else we can do to get approved?

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 1:48 pm
If u like in lkwd call the LRRC

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 1:48 pm
Why were you denied? Are you not income-eligible?

healthymom1

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 1:53 pm
If you're in Lakewood I can order milk, bread, eggs etc... and have you pick up from one of the stores.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 2:05 pm
Where are you located?
Do you need formula?

flowerpower

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 2:09 pm
Try Masbia

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 2:23 pm
I always have extra challah and random food items. Please pm me if you live in cleveland. I put 90 bucks a week of neosure on credit cards when my twins were babies... wic and food stamps doesn't care what you spend, only what your income is. We never qualified. I'm sorry. I Get it.

Sebastian

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 2:27 pm
How much do you earn? What is your family size? How much do you pay for rent, utilities and child care for young children?

That's all that matters really.

healthymom1

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 2:29 pm
Or if you live in NY I could probably make food order there to pick up.I think if it's too many states over my CC company with think someone stole credit card

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 2:34 pm
If you are in Lakewood, at the very least go to 14th and Forest on Friday about 2 hours before Shabbos

Unfortunately , many weeks there is a lot of milk bread produce that goes in the garbage, because it wasnt picked up in time

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 2:36 pm
healthymom1 wrote:
Or if you live in NY I could probably make food order there to pick up.I think if it's too many states over my CC company with think someone stole credit card

You might explain to the credit card what you are doing or if you are comfortable you can get this persons phone number and give her money thru PayPal she won’t get the money right away with pay pal

healthymom1

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 2:38 pm
Yeah very true. But could be OP wants to stay anonymous. So that's why I would order and just put under a random name for pick up Smile

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 2:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We werent approved to get food stamps or wic but we need it so badly. Is there anything else we could do?my husb showed them texts of me begging him for milk and bread for the kids and they said they will reassess our file but still not approved. We get some food from an organization like cereal and so so greatful but we cant afford milk and other basics. Is there anything else we can do to get approved?

For better or for worse, both programs are strictly income based. There's no subjective element.

Have you experienced a recent reduction of income due to loss of job or something else? That might be a reason to appeal the denial.

Best of luck to you.

Lovemy5

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 3:03 pm
I have no advice to offer but I just want to say מי כעמך ישראל!

malki2

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 4:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Everything goes by the book. If you are eligible according to the numbers, you will get it. If not, it won’t help to show them texts of you begging for milk. Find out what the threshold is beforehand and make sure that you are below it.

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 7:39 pm
If the problem is that your income was previously too high and for some reason you now have significantly less, then there are ways to document the change so they aren't using last year's tax return (the higher income) to make the determination.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 9:07 pm
Tomchi Shabbos?
Food pantry?
Jewish Federation food pantry?
Masbia?
Does your Rabbi/Shul have a discretionary fund to help with this?

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 9:46 pm
Sorry to hear about this. These programs are purely a math equation. If you meet the magic number, you get it. Otherwise your story won't matter unless you think they messed something up like not realizing one of your sources of income is no longer applicable etc.
If you have too high an income they assume you can afford basic bread and milk- and that is what these programs were designed to assist with.
What are you eating now?
Do you feel comfortable sharing your income and expenses?
if you want, maybe one of us can help you identify ways to cut corners, be more economical, or utilize the resources you do have better. But yeah, sometimes you are stuck especially with tuition. But the government isn't there to subsidize private school tuition and if you can't afford milk and bread- talk to the schools.
Do you have high hospital bills? Did you know you can apply for financial aid to discount your portion of the bill?
What are your main expenses?
Have you tried couponing? It takes time to learn but it has saved me thousands.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 10:02 pm
Where are you located? There are organizations that help you get approved if your numbers qualify, and to arrange your finances if you are close so you will qualify in the future.

In the meantime, do you want to create an anonymous fundraiser on the chessed fund site so we can help you a bit? It's completely anonymous. Post the link on this thread after you create it if you do so we can donate.
thechesedfund.com/onboarding

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 5:30 pm
Thank you everyone for replying. We recently moved and 2 of my children dont have social security numbers yet since they were born abroad. it's a long process since we need to do it in country we moved from and cant afford to go there now.so income is based on 5 kids vs 7
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics