Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Food stamps
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 5:32 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
If you are in Lakewood, at the very least go to 14th and Forest on Friday about 2 hours before Shabbos

Unfortunately , many weeks there is a lot of milk bread produce that goes in the garbage, because it wasnt picked up in time

Thank you!Is it a house?store?

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 5:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you everyone for replying. We recently moved and 2 of my children dont have social security numbers yet since they were born abroad. it's a long process since we need to do it in country we moved from and cant afford to go there now.so income is based on 5 kids vs 7

That sounds tough!
What about a local embassy for that country? Can you see if that would work?
If a trip there is so necessary can you find out if someone will sponsor a quick trip for just those family members who have to be there? Maybe a Rav or community organization? (social security numbers are needed for life, not just this current issue. They won't be able to work in the USA, get health insurance here etc).
In the long term they might be able to help with it if there are no alternatives like an embassy --as 1 trip now equals a lot of government assistance/welfare that you won't need to rely on the community for.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 6:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you everyone for replying. We recently moved and 2 of my children dont have social security numbers yet since they were born abroad. it's a long process since we need to do it in country we moved from and cant afford to go there now.so income is based on 5 kids vs 7

Are you sure? Social security numbers are issued by the federal government, so it seems odd that they would require you to be outside the US, then go to an embassy. Or is it that you need the foreign birth certificate?

healthymom1

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 6:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Can I order some basics for you at the store?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 6:40 pm
healthymom1 wrote:
If you're in Lakewood I can order milk, bread, eggs etc... and have you pick up from one of the stores.

Thank you so much!this means so much!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 6:43 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Are you sure? Social security numbers are issued by the federal government, so it seems odd that they would require you to be outside the US, then go to an embassy. Or is it that you need the foreign birth certificate?

I first need the certificate of born abroad

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 6:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I'm genuinely confused. How did you get into the USA? Your kids needed passports, which need a certificate of birth abroad...
Did they only have their foreign passports?

(In EY, everyone I know, including myself, goes to the consulate, now embassy, to get report of birth abroad and SS)

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 6:58 pm
hatzlacha rabba
I agree with everyone else about teaching out to a frum org until SNAP Kicks in

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 7:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I wonder if there's a workaround for that. I tried googling, and found these people, but I don't know if they only get copies, or can get an original for you. Can you call them?

https://www.vitalchek.com/cont.....aspx# (This is Lexis Nexis, which is a reputable company)

https://www.usbirthcertificate.net/abroad/

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 8:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you!Is it a house?store?

Its on the east side of Forest ..
At around 2 hours before Shabbos you will see everyone on the driveway

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 8:22 pm
OP, see if you can find someone who can help with the social security numbers and the SNAP application. Not always does the social security office give correct information. (We had a whole story, the paperwork for social security number was mistakenly not submitted along with the birth certificate application, and they said both parents must come, which was impossible with our work schedules. Years passed without a SS number. Someone questioned what they told us, and turned out one parent is just fine.)

IOW, it may be easier to get the social security number than you think, and then the SNAP application will be easier too.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 8:40 pm
I agree that priority should be on obtaining legal identifies for your children. Like others I don't know how they crossed the border without legal documentation such as a passport but you say they did and they are here.

It would seem that failure to quality for SNAP is just one problem as you don't have proof of the children's legal relationship to you and this could be a source of potential problems in the future. How do you prove that you are their legal guardian without appropriate paperwork showing you are their parents?

You don't state what country you are from but surely there is a consulate or embassy that you can contact - even by phone. I would imagine that a consulate would be much more helpful than dealing with SS administration since they can't help you procure the documents but a consulate might be more likely to have a sympathetic individual who can help you cut through the red tape and get birth certificates.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 8:52 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I agree that priority should be on obtaining legal identifies for your children. Like others I don't know how they crossed the border without legal documentation such as a passport but you say they did and they are here.

It would seem that failure to quality for SNAP is just one problem as you don't have proof of the children's legal relationship to you and this could be a source of potential problems in the future. How do you prove that you are their legal guardian without appropriate paperwork showing you are their parents?

You don't state what country you are from but surely there is a consulate or embassy that you can contact - even by phone. I would imagine that a consulate would be much more helpful than dealing with SS administration since they can't help you procure the documents but a consulate might be more likely to have a sympathetic individual who can help you cut through the red tape and get birth certificates.

They were able to come in with a birth certificate. (Not u.s)

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 8:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They were able to come in with a birth certificate. (Not u.s)

Not to pry but what is the specific problem and what proof is required.

It seems odd that a SS number needs to be obtained in a foreign country since it is an American form of identification.

Perhaps you are best off finding some form of Legal Aid (free legal services) since the situation appears complicated and probably not easily addressed on an Internet forum. I am not an expert but normally one would just get an SS number by showing that the child born to US citizens and this is done in the US since it normally isn't a complicated procedure since children born to US citizens are US citizens wherever they are born. I am assuming you are a US citizen since your OP stated that the two children are US citizens even though born abroad.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 9:09 pm
Not to pry but what is the specific problem and what proof is required.

It seems odd that a SS number needs to be obtained in a foreign country since it is an American form of identification.

Perhaps you are best off finding some form of Legal Aid (free legal services) since the situation appears complicated and probably not easily addressed on an Internet forum. I am not an expert but normally one would just get an SS number by showing that the child born to US citizens and this is done in the US since it normally isn't a complicated procedure since children born to US citizens are US citizens wherever they are born. I am assuming you are a US citizen since your OP stated that the two children are US citizens even though born abroad.

I dont need ss number from foreign country I need the born abroad birth certificates.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 9:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I dont need ss number from foreign country I need the born abroad birth certificates.

You said they entered with birth certificates so why are these birth certificates different?

Again, whatever is happening, the best way to proceed is to get some form of Legal Assistance to help you determine what paperwork is necessary and why the birth certificates aren't acceptable.

You could spin your wheels endlessly and still not get exactly what is needed by the bureaucrats. A lawyer who is conversant with immigration and customs etc. would be able to solve the problem efficiently and correctly.

goforit

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 9:52 pm
If you pay childcare and show it to the food stamps office they count it as a expense.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 9:53 pm
You said they entered with birth certificates so why are these birth certificates different?

Again, whatever is happening, the best way to proceed is to get some form of Legal Assistance to help you determine what paperwork is necessary and why the birth certificates aren't acceptable.

You could spin your wheels endlessly and still not get exactly what is needed by the bureaucrats. A lawyer who is conversant with immigration and customs etc. would be able to solve the problem efficiently and correctly.

They entered with a foreign birth certificate. You need an FS-240 to get a US passport, which is only supposed to be issued in the embassy of the country of birth. I don't know if there are exceptions or if you can send an agent to do this, or whether the baby has to be present or just a parent is enough. Someone who specializes in this would know.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 27 2019, 2:40 am
healthymom1 wrote:
Can I order some basics for you at the store?

Thank you so much. I'm embarresed to take like this but the kids will be so happy and it will be very helpful for us. How can we go abt it?we live in lakewood. This means so much on so many levels,thank you!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 27 2019, 2:45 am

Read another sapphire message below.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics