Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Does your child have a full day of school tom?Why doesn't m?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:24 pm
My 1st grade son came home with a note today that he has 1/2 day tomorrow bec of the siyum hashas (1st grade and up) Is this what all schools are doing??? It's so fustrating to have to figure out child care at the last minute Mad since I need to work.
Dh is going to the siyum hashas. I didn't even think to buy tick for my 6 yr old. Are people bringing kids so young? I should have got for him??? I think it's a beautiful thing for kids to see but it didn't occur to me that ds is old enough. Or the school is just doing this so the teachers can go??? (Even though the grade below also has rebbim but they have a regular day) Am I wrong to be annoyed?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:28 pm
I'm assuming they're doing it so that the hanhala can go.

It's still not right to let you know at the last minute. They should have put it on the school calendar.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:33 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I'm assuming they're doing it so that the hanhala can go.

It's still not right to let you know at the last minute. They should have put it on the school calendar.

I guess that's what's really bothering me. I agree it's nice for the hanhala to go just fustrated to find out at 4:30 today Mad Mad guess I'll figure something out.

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:38 pm
My son doesn't have school at all (I think more for New Years though) and my daughter has school only until 11am, basically 2 hours of school. I would complain but I happen to be off due to New Years.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:39 pm
My kids all have a full day.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I guess that's what's really bothering me. I agree it's nice for the hanhala to go just fustrated to find out at 4:30 today Mad Mad guess I'll figure something out.

We prob send to the same Yeshiva lol ... I thought it was rlly strange to have half a day so last minute and not at all considerate to working parents
But supposedly they did it because of the huge number of kids going to the siyum and figured if most of class will be out why have school

Classicookie

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:43 pm
My kids always have a half day on New years

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:44 pm
My kids won’t have English tomorrow due to the Siyum but we were notified on Monday about it.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:48 pm
My kids were all supposed to have full days.

One school sent home an email if parents wanted to leave it, have half a day, or no school. Then they said there is no school. (This was the end of November.)
Two sent an email that they were ending at 11:00, instead of the regular time. (Also the end of November)
My youngest, in playgroup, still has a full day.

Forgot to add: it’s absolutely inexcusable that they waited until this afternoon to let parents know.

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:48 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:

But supposedly they did it because of the huge number of kids going to the siyum and figured if most of class will be out why have school
even 1st graders???

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:56 pm
My kids have regular school but no bus tomorrow.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:59 pm
My kids all have the day off because it’s New Years.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 7:02 pm
My son came home with a note last week that he ends at 12 tomorrow because of the number of kids going.
My others have till 3 as they would have anyways on a legal holiday.

alef12

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 7:34 pm
My 10 year old has a half day tomorrow because of the siyum, so she can come home and drive me nuts for four hours while I work Can't Believe It She's mad that she's not going but I need to work and I wasn't comfortable sending her to sit alone.

My 12 year old son who IS actually going is missing the afternoon in school for it

My high school daughters are actually having a webcast of the siyum at their school. I wish I could send my 10 year old daughter there tomorrow LOL

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 7:38 pm
alef12 wrote:
My 10 year old has a half day tomorrow because of the siyum, so she can come home and drive me nuts for four hours while I work Can't Believe It She's mad that she's not going but I need to work and I wasn't comfortable sending her to sit alone.

My 12 year old son who IS actually going is missing the afternoon in school for it

My high school daughters are actually having a webcast of the siyum at their school. I wish I could send my 10 year old daughter there tomorrow LOL

Dress her in hs uniform and send her. No one will know.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 7:41 pm
You should have expected the schedule to possibly be off.

chillax

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 7:43 pm
mom2zahava wrote:
My kids always have a half day on New years

Ditto.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 7:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
even 1st graders???

No clue

If I were you I would call school in AM and say I’m working and you did give enough time to arrange alternate accommodations. Maybe he can go to his last year Pre 1 a Rebbi and get dismissed / bussing with them. They can’t expect parents to make such last minute changes on a whim

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 7:49 pm
My kids have been off. They go back Thursday.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 7:59 pm
My son's yeshiva sent home a note a couple weeks ago that they're ending at 12. I am related to the principal, who told me that they had a few administrative meetings about this, if they should end early, what time, etc. And they kept calling other yeshivos in the area to find out what they're doing. No other yeshiva knew. Finally the principal said this is ridiculous, let's decide for ourselves and all the other yeshivos will follow us, someone has to start! So they decided to end at 12. Your son's yeshiva probably had 15 meetings about it in the past few weeks and finally decided today
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics