Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Does your child have a full day of school tom?Why doesn't m?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

nanny24/7

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 8:46 pm
Yes found out today about ending early tomorrow because of the siyum hashas. The yeshiva never ends early or has off for legal holidays. I would have ideally seen the note by 3:00 if I were a stay at home mom except I got home from a straight after work appointment at 7:00 AND my ds is known for leaving notes in school by mistake. Luckily he remembered to tell me when I got home and I asked him if there are any notes sent home today.
Sigh.
At least it's for a reason I am proud of but I wish we knew beforehand.
My DS said the teachers said straight out it's to allow the teachers to go and not because of the students who might be going.
BH I am not stuck as far as arrangements and work since it's new years.
Edited to specify reason for ending early.

DVOM

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 8:53 pm
My boys school just sent out a text that classes are ending at 2 due to the siyum but that there will be supervision and regular bussing for kids who are not going to the siyum who'd like to stay until the end of the regular school day.

My sixth and third graders are going with my husband; I didn't think my first grader was old enough or mature enough to go. It would have been very hard for me to reschedule my day if he would have been off at 2 so last minute. My boys heard in school that the kids who stay after 2 are going to have a lot of fun (projects, games) so my first grader is ok with the plan and not upset that I can't pick him up.

I do wish though that there would have been more advance notice.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 9:32 pm
we live OOT and don't have school at all. I don't think it's right to tell parents so last minute... if you want to cancel for the siyum hashas you knew about it before...

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 9:35 pm
Quote:
My boys school just sent out a text that classes are ending at 2 due to the siyum but that there will be supervision and regular bussing for kids who are not going to the siyum who'd like to stay until the end of the regular school day.

same here. my boys are not going my 8th grader is going to bike home at 2 and the younger boys will stay in school and go home on the bus

polka dots

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 10:42 pm
They should’ve notified earlier.

Also so interesting that the make up artist can Chas vesholim not go on vacation with her husband because she has a booking and it’s totally ok to send home so many kids because the rebbis wanna go?

In my opinion they should find a sub. Except if part of the reason is to teach the boys to be machshiv torah and what a special day it is... but just to go to siyum? I don’t think that adds up

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 10:52 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
No clue

If I were you I would call school in AM and say I’m working and you did give enough time to arrange alternate accommodations. Maybe he can go to his last year Pre 1 a Rebbi and get dismissed / bussing with them. They can’t expect parents to make such last minute changes on a whim

I would look into other options first, u less the kid really loves the rebbe n wouldn't feel uncomfortable at all..

sub

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 12:02 am
polka dots wrote:

Also so interesting that the make up artist can Chas vesholim not go on vacation with her husband because she has a booking and it’s totally ok to send home so many kids because the rebbis wanna go?

In my opinion they should find a sub. Except if part of the reason is to teach the boys to be machshiv torah and what a special day it is... but just to go to siyum? I don’t think that adds up

The subs are going too
And so are the assistants

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:26 am
I would be very very annoyed.

The siyum hashas has been planned for a year already. If they wanted to give off they could have notified you MONTHS ago.
A day before is really inexcusable

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:28 am
polka dots wrote:

You're 100% right. They should have canceled school well in advance or found a sub

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 7:16 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
You should have expected the schedule to possibly be off.

And the school should have had the decency to announce the change earlier. It’s not fair to the parents to announce a changethw afternoon before, unless it’s an emergency.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 7:21 am
polka dots wrote:

It’s not like they just announced the date of the siyum this week. They’ve known for months when it was going to be, even since before school started. It is absolutely ridiculous that schools made this change last minute. This should have been on calendars from the beginning of the year.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 7:25 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
we live OOT and don't have school at all. I don't think it's right to tell parents so last minute... if you want to cancel for the siyum hashas you knew about it before...

Same. Everyone is going to the siyum in my oot community. Or doing hook ups

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 7:39 am
How does half a day help those who are going to the siyum? Siyum starts at one and I imagine you need to get there hours beforehand due to heavy traffic and volume etc

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:06 am
We have opposite. My boys came home saying that their school doesn't allow them to go, they were told yesterday, and they have tickets in hand. My husband called principal to get permission & make an exception due to our unique circustances., They got the tickets from Chaya Lifeline as my son is a patient. We told them not to tell anyone else.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:07 am
they don't have the helps etc

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:08 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
We have opposite. My boys came home saying that their school doesn't allow them to go, they were told yesterday, and they have tickets in hand. My husband called principal to get permission & make an exception due to our unique circustances., They got the tickets from Chaya Lifeline as my son is a patient. We told them not to tell anyone else.

What?!?! What kind of yeshiva wouldn’t allow boys to go to such an event? This is the epitome of kavod torah!!!

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:34 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
What?!?! What kind of yeshiva wouldn’t allow boys to go to such an event? This is the epitome of limud torah!!!

Well actually the epitome of limud Torah would be sitting and learning.

Maybe you meant, kavod hatorah?

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:47 am
My daughter has a regular full day and my son ends at 2, but they notified us about the early dismissal last week. My son even told me that his bus driver is going to the siyum so they will have to arrange a sub. Not okay to give you such short notice.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:49 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Well actually the epitome of limud Torah would be sitting and learning.

Maybe you meant, kavod hatorah?

😆 yes, that’s what I meant!! Clearly, I should not go on ima so early in the morning, before my first cup of hot chocolate!!

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 9:06 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:

Is there a reason that they don't allow the children to go?
My daughter doesn't have school at all and my boys have from 9-11. I also found out about the time change yesterday but I don't mind.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics