Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Sharing a delicious and "different" zucchini kugel
1  2  3  Next

anon

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 7:01 pm
I have a zucchini kugel recipe that is always a hit, and it's a nice change from your typical potato kugel. So I thought I'd share Very Happy

ZUCCHINI KUGEL

6 medium zucchini peeled, quartered & sliced (the pieces will look like triangles)
1 medium onion chopped
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1-2 tablespoons onion soup mix (to taste) **
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
salt & pepper (to taste)

Mix all the ingredients together. Bake, uncovered, in a greased 9''x13" pan at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hrs or until set & golden brown.
It freezes pretty well.

** I first tried it without onion soup mix and it didn't taste that great. So now I use Lieber's onion soup mix WITHOUT msg. It still isn't the healthiest choice, but I guess it's better than msg. You can choose to make it without any soup mix, but then I can't guarantee the taste Wink

MahPitom

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 7:15 pm
Oy, any other ideas without a cup of flour ? I once tried a recipe using hard boiled eggs, and it was yummy but crumbly

greeneyes

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 7:33 pm
Thanks for sharing, anon. Smile I will be trying it one of these weeks!

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 8:07 pm
Do you have to peel the zuc, I like them green? Sounds good for this shabbos.

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 8:13 pm
Sounds good!! thanks ...Maybe I'll make this in the springtime when zucchini is more locally available.. Now it's pretty pricey.

BTW if you caramelize a couple of onions and add them to the bowl, you won't miss the onion soup mix at all... Tongue Out

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 8:25 pm
you mean there is more than just potatoe kugel shock

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 8:26 pm
MahPitom, Try instant mashed potatoes instead of flour - I use this to thicken kugel all the time. Not sure if 1 c flour = 1 c instant tatos, though.

P.S. I love your insect avatar. Wink

anon

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 9:03 pm
lol, greenfire. When I got married, practically the only kugel I made was potato kugel. But, lo and behold, my husband is actually not the biggest fan of potato kugel. He thinks it's bland. He thinks most kugels are boring. I like kugels, so I have to try to find ones that are either interesting and/or more flavorful.

Mimisinger, I don't know how it would taste with the peel, I've never done it. But doesn't the zucchini peel have a strange texture?

Mommyluv, how do you caramelize onions? Is it the same thing as frying?

Mahpitom, I have no clue, you'll have to get others suggestions. I knew that some ppl would object to soup mix (like myself), but I didn't think of the flour Wink About the potato mix though...aren't potatoes just as "carby" as flour?

MahPitom

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 9:07 pm
using the peels is fine... no texture, only color.

I would love to eliminate all that flour, know what I mean?

here's a yummy idea:

The Ultimate Latke
by Jodi Bager

3 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 a large cauliflower
5 chopped spring onions (white and light green parts)
(or 1 small white onion)
2 whole eggs
salt and pepper to taste
oil

After shredding the zucchini on the course grater of the Cuisinart, put it in a bowl and salt it. Let it sit for 15 minutes. This draws out the excess liquid.
Place the Zucchini in a tea towel and twist. Wring out as much water as you can.
Cut cauliflower into florettes and steam until soft. Drain, cool and mash.
Once mashed, squeeze out the liquid the same way as with the Zucchini.
Fry the chopped onions, until caramelized, in a bit of oil.
Combine the zuchinni, cauliflower, and onions together in a bowl and add the two eggs.
Mix with your hands to get everything evenly distributed.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Cover the bottom of a non-stick frying pan in oil and when hot, add a heaping tsp. of the mixture to the oil. Flatten it out a little with the back of the spoon.
Remember, the only ingredient in this recipe that has to be cooked is the egg. So these do not have to cook for long, therefore, turn when browned to your liking.
These can be made ahead of time and reheated uncovered in a 250 degree oven.
Serve alone or with yoghurt and /or apple sauce.
Makes approx. 18

NOTE: Legal for the SCD Diet.

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 9:31 pm
anon-yup. u just fry them for quite a while on a low flame til they get kinda syrupy. It makes a huge difference.

greeneyes

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 9:46 pm
Anon, I made this kugel for shabbos & it was a real hit. (Even my brother who "officially" doesn't like zucchini enjoyed it. LOL ) Thanks for sharing the recipe!

miri123

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 10:55 pm
Sounds Yummmy I bli neder will try this Shabbos

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 11:00 pm
I made it too and it was very yummy, but the flour part was weird for me. Maybe I used too much zucchini? THere wasn't a lot of binding and btw, the green outside made it look really pretty.

anon

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 2:20 pm
Mimi, what about the flour was weird for you? That there wasn't enough?

Greeneyes, I'm glad you liked it Smile

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 3:03 pm
anon, nice of you to share. Smile I'm going to try your kugel for supper! We peeled and sliced all those zuchinnis last erev Shabbos, and there wasn't enough time to use them. So we're ready to go for a nice Rosh Chodesh treat tonight!

shopaholic

Post Sun, Feb 10 2008, 9:17 am
I made this & DH had eaten about 1/3 of it before Shabbos came in. It was delicious! Also, it fills up a 9x13 pan almost to the top so its great when you have a lot of guests.

mommy24

Post Sun, Feb 10 2008, 9:45 am
momof3 my DH and I did the same! We weren't having guests so I decided to try this kugel and put it in 2 8x8 pans instead. I fiugred I would freeze one. Well we practically finished one before shabbos started.

I did not use onion soup mix, instead I did as someone recommended and sauteed 3 onions. It came out looking and tasting great, DH loved it, he said it reminded him of Pesach. (He loves Pesach food says there is simplicity to it.)

Thank you so much OP for a simple to make and great tasting kugel!

mumoo

Post Sun, Feb 10 2008, 9:55 am
MahPitom wrote:
Oy, any other ideas without a cup of flour ? I once tried a recipe using hard boiled eggs, and it was yummy but crumbly

how about dried potato flakes or potato flour? matzo meal first came to mind, but I'm guessing it's the wheat you object to

loveit

Post Sun, Feb 10 2008, 2:05 pm
I also made this for the past shabbos and everyone loved it!!! Thanks

Motek

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 2:00 pm
anon wrote:
6 medium zucchini peeled, quartered & sliced (the pieces will look like triangles)

after you quarter them, they are four long strips

then what do you do?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes