Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Sharing a delicious and "different" zucchini kugel
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Mimisinger

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 2:04 pm
Motek wrote:
anon wrote:
6 medium zucchini peeled, quartered & sliced (the pieces will look like triangles)

after you quarter them, they are four long strips

then what do you do?
sliced

Motek

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 2:11 pm
was wondering about the triangles but okay, see what she means

Cdlf

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 11:01 pm
I have a similar recipe, but I sautee the onions for 10 minutes than add the zucchini for another 10. Instead of flour and onion soup mix use flavored breadcrumbs. Let me know if you make it.

SharonaB

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 9:50 am
I just wanted to share my 'failsafe' Shabbat recipe for Sweet Potato Kugel. It is an easy 'one pot' recipe that is light and always goes down a hit.

3-4 medium sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons marg
2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
salt/pepper to taste

Boil the peeled and cut up sweet potatoes until soft. Drain the water well and add the marg whilst still hot so that it melts in. Stir it up and mash in the remaining ingredients.

Pour into a well greased dish and bake half hour on 350F or 180C.

I just mix this up in the saucepan I boil the sweet potatoes in - it is so quick and easy and just melts in your mouth. It is also good for Shabbat lunch and does fine on the platter, but is better on top of another dish rather than directly on the platter itself.

Hope you like it - I think I put less sugar in mine but just do it to taste.

wanderer

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 1:14 pm
It sounds yum, Sharona!

What size pan does this recipe fill?

SharonaB

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 1:37 pm
I use a 6" x 8" aluminium dish. Just grease it lightly and it shouldn't stick. I think I have also used a small loaf tin when I had nothing else.

It goes really nice with petitim (an Israeli toasted pasta).

Enjoy!

grin

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 1:39 pm
thanks for the idea. I made it also this past Shabbos - added a couple of potatoes to the mixture. It was a big hit.

yet

Post Fri, Aug 01 2008, 2:52 pm
last week, I was sauteeing onions to serve over something, and the recipe said to sautee it in soy sauce instead of oil. It came out real yum!

Do you think I can sautee these onions (for zucchini kugel) in soy sauce also? or do you think soy isn't the right flavoring?

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 4:43 pm
anon wrote:
I have a zucchini kugel recipe that is always a hit, and it's a nice change from your typical potato kugel. So I thought I'd share Very Happy

ZUCCHINI KUGEL

6 medium zucchini peeled, quartered & sliced (the pieces will look like triangles)
1 medium onion chopped
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1-2 tablespoons onion soup mix (to taste) **
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
salt & pepper (to taste)

Mix all the ingredients together. Bake, uncovered, in a greased 9''x13" pan at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hrs or until set & golden brown.
It freezes pretty well.

** I first tried it without onion soup mix and it didn't taste that great. So now I use Lieber's onion soup mix WITHOUT msg. It still isn't the healthiest choice, but I guess it's better than msg. You can choose to make it without any soup mix, but then I can't guarantee the taste Wink

ok, yum yum YUM!! it is so darn good! but I sauteed the zucch and onions until golden before mixing everythign. I think im gonna go try some more...

anon

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 7:06 pm
Shopmiami49 wrote:
anon wrote:
I have a zucchini kugel recipe that is always a hit, and it's a nice change from your typical potato kugel. So I thought I'd share Very Happy

ZUCCHINI KUGEL

1 medium onion chopped
1 cup flour
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
salt & pepper (to taste)

Mix all the ingredients together. Bake, uncovered, in a greased 9''x13" pan at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hrs or until set & golden brown.
It freezes pretty well.

** I first tried it without onion soup mix and it didn't taste that great. So now I use Lieber's onion soup mix WITHOUT msg. It still isn't the healthiest choice, but I guess it's better than msg. You can choose to make it without any soup mix, but then I can't guarantee the taste Wink

ok, yum yum YUM!! it is so darn good! but I sauteed the zucch and onions until golden before mixing everythign. I think im gonna go try some more...

Just to share: I officially don't use soup mixes anymore, but I have found that if you CARAMELIZE a lot of onions (saute onions in oil on low flame for a long time) then it adds the same delicious flavor...you won't miss the soup mix.

anon

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 7:07 pm
Shopmiami49 wrote:
anon wrote:

ZUCCHINI KUGEL

1 medium onion chopped
1 cup flour
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
salt & pepper (to taste)

It freezes pretty well.

Just to share: I stopped using soup mixes altogether. And I have found that if you CARAMELIZE a lot of onions (saute onions in oil on a low flame for a long time) then it adds the same delicious flavor...the soup mix won't be missed.

1Life2Live

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 10:40 am
anon wrote:

ZUCCHINI KUGEL

1 medium onion chopped
1 cup flour
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
salt & pepper (to taste)

It freezes pretty well.

I would like to try this recipe tonight- for those of you who made it- do you think it will taste good if I put in sliced mushrooms (we happen to have some at home)? Do I need to adjust any of the other ingredients if I add them?

greeneyes

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 5:30 pm
I think if you add mushrooms, you should put in a bit less zucchini.

thinking mom

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 2:04 pm
My aunt has a very similar recipe that I make fairly often and it calls for a small can (around 4 oz) of mushrooms that get sauteed with the onions. We also make it on Pesach using matza meal instead of flour. It's really delicious!

culinaryk

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 2:19 pm
I made the following zucchini kugel for Shabbos and one of my guests practically ate up the whole thing and then asked me for the recipe. Really good and different.

3 pound(s) Yellow And Green Zucchini
1/2 cup(s) Chopped Onion
1/2 cup(s) Margarine
2 Eggs Beaten
1 tablespoon(s) Sugar
1 teaspoon(s) Salt
1/2 teaspoon(s) Pepper
1/2 cup(s) Bread Crumbs
1/2 cup(s) Cornflakes Crumbs

Preparation
Wash the zucchini very well and keep on the peel. (you can peel it, but it wont be as pretty). Saute onion and zucchini until very soft. Add the rest of the ingredients (except the cornflakes). Spray a pyrex dish with pam. Pour in the mixture and sprinkle the cornflakes on top. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Best served with a spoon and not cut into slices

runninglate

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 11:28 pm
anon, thank you. I made it and dh consumed half of the pan in one meal!

HooRYou

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 9:29 am
I just made a recipe like this last week, but when I boiled the sweet potatoes I added a vanilla tea bag. It imparted a lovely vanilla flavor to the kugel.
SharonaB wrote:
I just wanted to share my 'failsafe' Shabbat recipe for Sweet Potato Kugel. It is an easy 'one pot' recipe that is light and always goes down a hit.

3-4 medium sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons marg
2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
salt/pepper to taste

Boil the peeled and cut up sweet potatoes until soft. Drain the water well and add the marg whilst still hot so that it melts in. Stir it up and mash in the remaining ingredients.

Pour into a well greased dish and bake half hour on 350F or 180C.

I just mix this up in the saucepan I boil the sweet potatoes in - it is so quick and easy and just melts in your mouth. It is also good for Shabbat lunch and does fine on the platter, but is better on top of another dish rather than directly on the platter itself.

Hope you like it - I think I put less sugar in mine but just do it to taste.

freidasima

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 10:01 am
I'm always looking for easy to make and easy to freeze pesach kugel recipies and with potato starch instead of flour it may work. The sweet potato kugel is also a good idea, only I usually don't add sugar and we don't use margarine or butter or oil in general.

Another problem is that except for mushrooms, potatoes and sweet potatoes and onions my dh doesn't eat cooked veg, only raw (not just pesach, always) so I'm stuck. I love all kinds of veg but I don't like to make things he won't eat. However with the crowd we are having maybe I will do both and freeze, will let you know how it came out.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 1:32 pm
freidasima wrote:
I'm always looking for easy to make and easy to freeze pesach kugel recipies and with potato starch instead of flour it may work. The sweet potato kugel is also a good idea, only I usually don't add sugar and we don't use margarine or butter or oil in general.

Another problem is that except for mushrooms, potatoes and sweet potatoes and onions my dh doesn't eat cooked veg, only raw (not just pesach, always) so I'm stuck. I love all kinds of veg but I don't like to make things he won't eat. However with the crowd we are having maybe I will do both and freeze, will let you know how it came out.
I would definately try the zucchini and onion kugel recipes with some sort of potato starch conversion.
And I have a pesach recipe for sweet potato that calls for orange juice and wine. Would that work?

est

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 3:37 pm
I would like to try anon's recipe.
has anyone had any experience with freezing it?
does it get watery?
what is the best way to defrost and re-heat it?

thank you all.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes