Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Preemie
1  2  Next

TravelHearter

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 11:20 pm
Did your preemie experience developmental delays? At what point did he/she catch up? How early was he/she?

I gave birth on the first day of my 36 week and was wondering..

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 11:44 pm
36wks.
No delays.

Ellie7

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 11:53 pm
34 weeks and no delays, thank God. Once he got over the eating hump, he was totally fine. We know how lucky we are and we’re extremely grateful to Hashem, but just reassuring you that all can really be ok.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:03 am
Ellie7 wrote:
34 weeks and no delays, thank God. Once he got over the eating hump, he was totally fine. We know how lucky we are and we’re extremely grateful to Hashem, but just reassuring you that all can really be ok.

same. only talking she started at 2 but now she can't stop babbling & singing all day

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:16 am
Not saying this to discourage you, but so you don't feel like something is wrong if this is your reality- preemies at all stages are at increased risks for developmental delays and learning disabilities. Iyh you'll have a smooth road. But in case you do find that your child has delays, a LD, ADHD, etc, just know that it's totally fine and expected. Even if a "younger" preemie didn't have any lingering effects, and even if as a baby/ toddler everything seemed fine. Sometimes you hear so many encouraging stories that it can be extra disappointing when your reality is different.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:26 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Not saying this to discourage you, but so you don't feel like something is wrong if this is your reality- preemies at all stages are at increased risks for developmental delays and learning disabilities. Iyh you'll have a smooth road. But in case you do find that your child has delays, a LD, ADHD, etc, just know that it's totally fine and expected. Even if a "younger" preemie didn't have any lingering effects, and even if as a baby/ toddler everything seemed fine. Sometimes you hear so many encouraging stories that it can be extra disappointing when your reality is different.

This is true buuut 36 is barely a preemie. So I wouldn't worry OP.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:34 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
This is true buuut 36 is barely a preemie. So I wouldn't worry OP.
This is exactly my point. 36 weeks is late preterm, and many babies do as well as those born at full term. However, there is still an increased risk for developmental delay and learning difficulties. Sometimes a baby born at 33 weeks had no lingering effects even though a 36 weeker does. And it's not always helpful for parents to constantly be told that their child won't have those. I'm not trying to worry op, just to validate her if it turns out to be true for her child.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:43 am
Born at 27 weeks.
Walked at 20 months. Don't remember when he started talking. No unusually late though.

Had many respiratory problems until he was 2/3 - needed inhalations, antibiotics for pneumonia etc a lot.
Bedwetting until age 13. Connected? Have no idea.

B"H no learning difficulties.

Now 17 yrs old, b"H!!!

Just One

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:56 am
32 weeks 2.5 lbs. After that first catch up year hit all developmental milestone right on time. Now a bright, beautiful, social first grader. Reading and writing above grade level

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 1:51 am
36 week born twins - I was told this isn't considered preemie enough to even follow up on - they were a few weeks behind where their siblings were on everything in the first year - smiling at 7 weeks not 6, sitting at 7 months not 6 etc - but all within normal. They started walking around 14 months and say a bunch of short words - they're 18 months now. I don't see any other issues BH.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 6:49 am
My 34 weeker is 5 1/2 months now kah. Doesn't roll yet.

dv

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:08 am
My 30 weeker has no developmental delays BH...just had a bit of a hard time learning to read but now she‘s in 2nd grade and doing great...

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:11 am
36 weekers are not considered a preemie. I had 2 36 weekers, they weren't even in the nicu & none had any issues bh.

finprof

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:14 am
My twins were 36 weeks and 4.5 each birth, 16 months now, walking and beginning to talk. My others were all 37-38 weeks and the twins appear to be on track. Relax, stressing won't help anything, but the fact that you are worried shows how much you care, which is moe most important thing.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:14 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
My 34 weeker is 5 1/2 months now kah. Doesn't roll yet.

It's normal for any baby not to roll at 5 1/2 months. My full term baby is almost 6 months and turned this week for the 1st time.

octopus

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:21 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Born at 27 weeks.
Walked at 20 months. Don't remember when he started talking. No unusually late though.

Had many respiratory problems until he was 2/3 - needed inhalations, antibiotics for pneumonia etc a lot.
Bedwetting until age 13. Connected? Have no idea.

B"H no learning difficulties.

Now 17 yrs old, b"H!!!

Wow! 27 weeks! Such a miracle! All babies are miracles of course! But wow!

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:51 pm
FYI Plenty of 40+ wk babies experience developmental delay's, need plenty of therapy, LD, ADHD etc. etc. etc.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:37 pm
My dd was induced at 36 wks and does have developmental delays. Personally I think it does have somewhat to do with being induced since she "wasnt naturally ready to come" again it wasnt a choice n we needed to do it for medical/health reasons. But thats just my take on it.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:38 pm
I had 2 babies at 36 weeks. One has delays and one doesn’t. The one with delays has them for unrelated reasons and would have had them even if born at full term.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:48 pm
My twin nephews (not identical) were born at 36 weeks. No problems, except one gets speech therapy now for mild language delays. They are 5.
My friend gave birth at 33 weeks this past June, zero delays thus far.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics