Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Wig on Vacation

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 9:37 am
I'm going to Israel soon. I have 1 everyday wig, but it is very annoying - it has pins to hold up short hair, it must be perfectly curled to look ok.... it's not an easy wig. I'm gonna have to wear it on the plane, which is also bad because I can't just fall asleep in it or it will get ruined.
I feel like I just want an easy wig for the vacation, one that can get blown in the wind, worn on a plane ride... Just want something cheap, junky, easy...
Any ideas of how I can get something like this? I don't really want to buy a new wig now, though.

pause

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 9:42 am
Many women travel with tichels/snoods.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 9:43 am
I assume you're not the tichel wearing type. I love my tichels on vacation Smile

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 9:46 am
Get a Paula Young vacation wig. You can get for less than $100 with lace front. I wish I could buy Yiddish wigs with lace fronts and cuts so nice cheap. I wear them jet skiing and anywhere I don't want my wigs ruined like a hot rainy day when I don't want plastic on top of my head. The cheap ones don't last as long, but I have bought them for less than $50. I pay $45 for a wash and style. I don't have these professionally done.

Why don't you wear a snood on the plane? It's a long flight. I just went to Israel and no one looked twice at me in a snood. I am usually self conscious and don't wear them on planes to other countries.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 9:47 am
Hmmm.... I'm not really the tichel type. Especially because we will be visiting a lot of relatives in Israel...
I would change into a tichel on the plane but I'm not sure what then to do with my wig. I'm already bringing my Shabbos wig in a box, so I'm not really sure where to keep a second wig on the plane.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 9:51 am
You can put the 2nd wig in a shoe box, or inside out in a large ziplock bag. Or you can travel in a tichel or snood and wear your shabbos wig when visiting relatives.
I only travel with one wig, it's too much of a shlep to take another wig.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 9:55 am
Ya wigs are the world's biggest pain in the neck, but I'm also the type who is uncomfortable in a tichel in public.

You can bring along a big plastic ziploc bag (like the challah bag) and lay you wig flat one top of your hand luggage once the plane has taken off. It should be ok for 12 hours.

Also, I don't know how old you are and if this is you're type, but I recently bought a pony wig and I LOVE it. It is insanely comfortable and easy, I can sleep in it, jetski in it, etc

watergirl

What do you consider cheap?

allthingsblue

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hmmm.... I'm not really the tichel type. Especially because we will be visiting a lot of relatives in Israel...
I would change into a tichel on the plane but I'm not sure what then to do with my wig. I'm already bringing my Shabbos wig in a box, so I'm not really sure where to keep a second wig on the plane.

Not to pressure you, because I know you don't like the idea, but israel is literally the best place to wear a tichel- you wouldn't stick out one iota, you'd blend right into the sea of Jewish women who cover their hair in all sorts of different ways.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 10:10 am
Get a synthetic wig and use it as a fall. Wear beanies on top of it

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 10:22 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Ya wigs are the world's biggest pain in the neck, but I'm also the type who is uncomfortable in a tichel in public.

You can bring along a big plastic ziploc bag (like the challah bag) and lay you wig flat one top of your hand luggage once the plane has taken off. It should be ok for 12 hours.

Also, I don't know how old you are and if this is you're type, but I recently bought a pony wig and I LOVE it. It is insanely comfortable and easy, I can sleep in it, jetski in it, etc

I just feel like if I would lay it flat it might get ruined... yes it's the most annoying wig ever. has 2,000 pins to keep it in place.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 10:23 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Get a synthetic wig and use it as a fall. Wear beanies on top of it

I would totally do this. Where cld I get such a wig?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 10:06 am
Bump.
Where can I get a synthetic fall? Does anyone have experience with this?

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 10:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bump.
Where can I get a synthetic fall? Does anyone have experience with this?

Google synthetic wig.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 1:20 pm
Get a synthetic wig and still change on the plane while traveling to a snood.
Btw- your weekday wig sounds like a shabbos shaitel with all those pins. How do you manage every day?
Maybe you need something easier to wear in general?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics