Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Why is my 7 year old craving salt??
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 1:33 pm
My 7 year old craves salt, she always asks for plain salt, on shabbos before hamotzi, she said "Yay, I get to have some salt on my challah", she tries to take salt all the time, etc. She eats a normal, well-balanced diet and gets normal amounts of all nutrients.

I asked the pediatrician about it, and he didn't seem concerned.

But I am still trying to figure out what is going on here....

singleagain

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 1:51 pm
My sister went through a phase where she put salt on everything.. including her pizza.

My sister now loves to cook and experiment. It might just be a phase.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 1:54 pm
It can be a sign of an underlying health issue see link:
https://youthclinic.com/salt-c.....dren/

If I were you I wouldn’t be alarmed but I would contact her doctor to discuss and see if she needs to he seen

lilies

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 2:02 pm
Do you generally like foods less salty?
I do so I under-salt foods being served. My kids overcompensate.

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 2:03 pm
My mother cooked pretty bland food and never let us add salt to our food because it's unhealthy, so we all craved salt. It was a treat to get some salt on our fingers from the Challa Board and lick it off.
It sounds dysfunctional but we all turned out normal Confused

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 2:05 pm
could be she needs more electrolytes or more iodine. Eating a healthy diet doesn't mean she's getting what she needs.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 2:18 pm
So let her have salt. After she WAYYYYYY over-salts s few times, she'll start to self regulate, and eventually find a middle path.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 2:20 pm
How is her blood pressure? Does she ever complain about feeling dizzy if she stands up too fast?

I have chronic low blood pressure, and my doctor told me to eat as much salt as I want, and more if I feel like it. I balance it out with foods high in potassium like bananas and cantaloupe.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 2:25 pm
lilies wrote:
Do you generally like foods less salty?
I do so I under-salt foods being served. My kids overcompensate.

Nope, not the case here

Zehava

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 2:25 pm
Rappel wrote:
So let her have salt. After she WAYYYYYY over-salts s few times, she'll start to self regulate, and eventually find a middle path.

Too much salt can be toxic. Just putting this out there.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 2:27 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
My mother cooked pretty bland food and never let us add salt to our food because it's unhealthy, so we all craved salt. It was a treat to get some salt on our fingers from the Challa Board and lick it off.
It sounds dysfunctional but we all turned out normal Confused

I use normal amounts of salt, not bland at all. and my other kids don't do this.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 2:27 pm
I was the same way. I still like my food salty, and add salt to everything. My drs have told me several tines NOT to limit salt. So it must be my body needs it.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 2:29 pm
Zehava wrote:

As can too much water.

I've never yet heard of anyone suffering lasting damage from salt, even if they sandpapered their challah with it.

(Spoken as a child who used to need to salt everything, and now barely uses it as an adult. I learned moderation through trial and error, and much gulping of water.)

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 2:45 pm
Also, salt is delicious! If the dr. is not concerned, why look further?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 2:52 pm
Zehava wrote:

It's very hard to eat that much salt. Whether you think this is true or not, screw whoever hugged this. The "subtle" insult pairs very nicely with the suicidal thoughts I've been having today.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 3:29 pm
She probably needs the minerals in the salt. I always say our bodies crave what they need...

anonymrs

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 3:52 pm
Her body could be craving all the minerals in salt. I would buy natural sea salt for her so she can get what she needs.

BH5745

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 6:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 7 year old craves salt, she always asks for plain salt, on shabbos before hamotzi, she said "Yay, I get to have some salt on my challah", she tries to take salt all the time, etc. She eats a normal, well-balanced diet and gets normal amounts of all nutrients.

I asked the pediatrician about it, and he didn't seem concerned.

But I am still trying to figure out what is going on here....

Did you know that people literally could not live without some natural sodium, and other minerals found in high quality salt? Celery is a great source of many of the minerals found in salt. Himilaya, the gray salt from France and the greenish salt from Ireland are very high in trace minerals. It might be that your daughter craves salt, because she is deficient in one or more of these minerals. Perhaps you can try giving her celery, and adding more high quality salt (not regular refined table salt) into your diet?

BH5745

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 6:32 pm
Zehava wrote:

Regular table salt is toxic. But the pink Himilaya salt is very healthy. It's also higher in minerals than sea salt. You would need to eat mass amounts of this type of salt to cause health issues.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 6:36 pm
BH5745 wrote:
Regular table salt is toxic. But the pink Himilaya salt is very healthy. It's also higher in minerals than sea salt. You would need to eat mass amounts of this type of salt to cause health issues.

Both are sodium chloride with different impurities, and they are about equally toxic. The toxicity comes from the salt itself, not the impurities.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics