Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Nutritionist for 8 year old Lakewood

DVOM

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 8:53 am
My adorable 8 year old son just had a well check up and our pediatrician recommended that he see a nutritionist.

I was overweight most of my childhood and early adulthood, and went on so many diets and to so many nutritionists. 7 years ago I lost over 100lbs on is and have kept it off ever since. There is tons of healthy food in our home, always healthy options at meals. This son is not a picky eater and will try anything, but he loves carbs and sweets.

I'm not sure what a nutritionist can do to further educate us. What I think might be helpful for my son is positive attention and support around making healthy food choices and portion control. I definitely don't want anyone shaming him or making him feel self conscious about his body. He is utterly gorgeous, confident, adorable, and I don't want that to change.

Can anyone recommend a nutritionist who works with kids in Lakewood? We specifically want someone who can approach supporting health eating and lifestyle in an emotionally healthy way.

Stars

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 9:02 am
I wouldn't take him but educate myself on how to do this. There's a ton of information on instagram and all over the web. Try the HAES theory, and intuitive eating.
One wrong move by an outside provider is so much harder to correct. Go on. Throw the tomatoes.
At the end of the day a person will crave what they crave and cutting food groups out will only make them crave it even more. You don't want to give your son a lifetime of issues, trust me.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 9:28 am
I agree with the poster above. My family are also all overweight. When I was 12 I saw a nutritionist for the first time. When I was 13 I lost 70lb’s. It all came back when I went to camp and hasn’t ever clicked back yet. If u start at such a young age he’ll feel like he’s doing this all his life. U just be positive about healthy eating. No extra eating. No eating after super (just fruits) I tell my kids to give the stomach a rest now. U don’t want him feeling like he had a problem from such a young age. It’ll only backfire later. I’m talking from experience.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 9:39 am
What works for me is modeling and enforcing (sorry, that word sounds too heavy but I'm too tired to think of another one) portion control for the entire family. Not for weight specifically, but for health. I keep healthy food choices available and limit treats to shabbos and set school snacks. But really the portion control is so important. My 10 years old should not be eating 10 pieces of (baked) shnitzel, but he would if I let him. And he's not even one of my overweight kids, it's simply an unhealthy habit. The same way I enforce brushing teeth and going to bed, it's all very matter of fact about staying healthy.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 9:41 am
Maybe spend the money on sport programs, swimming, a bicycle, anything involving movement

DVOM

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 10:02 am
I'm finding these responses so interesting! My husband and I have pondered and discussed all these points (a sports program, portion control, the dangers of starting a terrible cycle of dieting/gaining...). At this point we'd like to at least talk to a nutritionist, if we could find one we feel confident in.

Stars

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 10:05 am
DVOM wrote:
I'm finding these responses so interesting! My husband and I have pondered and discussed all these points (a sports program, portion control, the dangers of starting a terrible cycle of dieting/gaining...). At this point we'd like to at least talk to a nutritionist, if we could find one we feel confident in.

Maybe the two of you can go to one and discuss the situation (without your son ever finding out of course)?

I reccomend you try searching for a HAES nutritionist.

INSPIREME

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 10:44 am
Dina Cohen might be the right fit for you.
732-737-7576

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 10:59 am
INSPIREME wrote:
Dina Cohen might be the right fit for you.
732-737-7576

Yes, she's amazing.
She works from an Intuitive eating background.

Yaffi Lvova is also wonderful and particularly works with parents to help their children, I believe.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 11:21 am
My DH was seeing a nutritionist (with degree and license) and discussed with her our son who is overweight. She strongly discouraged us from taking him to a nutritionist.
She just said encourage healthy eating and include lots of movement and activities. But to not take him to nutritionist.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics