Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach Kitchen
1  2  Next

Do you have a Pesach Kitchen?
Yes  
 23%  [ 25 ]
no  
 76%  [ 81 ]
Total Votes : 106

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 2:31 pm
Is it better to have a small seperate Pesach kitchen or a 'cupboard' in the kitchen that has an extra oven and hob for pesach?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 2:48 pm
Not worth it

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 2:50 pm
What's a hob?

tweety1

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 2:51 pm
I have one wall in my playroom that I put a few cabinets, oven, sink and over the range microwave. I would never waste a room just for a pesach kitchen.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 2:55 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I have one wall in my playroom that I put a few cabinets, oven, sink and over the range microwave. I would never waste a room just for a pesach kitchen.

So interesting. Gas or electric oven? Do you still lasher your kitchen for pesach? And just use this to help you cook in advance? What do you do for counter space?

renslet

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 2:57 pm
I have a sink in my hallway, next my washer and dryer. I squeezed a small stove alongside it and use that as a pesach kitchen. It makes all the difference! I hate kashering and last year for the first time I cooked and froze tons before. I gave birth three days after pesach.
It's well worth it to even have a pesach corner

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 2:59 pm
No we don't have one. I go to cook at my parents pesach kitchen. I try to have most of the basic foods in my freezer by the time the kids break up from school for yt as I find that time too overwhelming if not. This way I change over later and everything is more relaxed bh
There is non of that in btw stage of chometz flying around whilst trying to cook. I'm very grateful that I have this.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 3:02 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
What's a hob?

A stove? I call it a hob too so I'm unsure but it's what you cook on lol.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 3:17 pm
Deleted

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 3:19 pm
I would put a full kitchen on one wall of another room, with rolling counters for extra space, and install folding doors in front of it for during the year. So, for example, the playroom/den would become the Pesach kitchen for 2-3 weeks of the year. Don't have one yet though.

banana123

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 4:12 pm
tweety1 wrote:

Do your kids play in there unsupervised? I would be so scared that they'd start playing with the kitchen.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 4:20 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I would put a full kitchen on one wall of another room, with rolling counters for extra space, and install folding doors in front of it for during the year. So, for example, the playroom/den would become the Pesach kitchen for 2-3 weeks of the year. Don't have one yet though.

That's what my inlaws have. It's great for trying to get cooking done in advance. However, I hate trying to keep my small kids from taking chometz from the regular kitchen etc. Also I find because they can just open the chometz kitchen motzoi pesach, they don't always pack away the pesach stuff immediately, which drives me mad. I don't have one and for me, motzoi is a mass operation where within a few hours of yom tov all pesach things are away and we have our kitchen back to normal.
During that one week, the kitchen is great but to keep the space for the week seems a lot if you have a small house.

hoboken

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 4:29 pm
If you put an oven or stove inside a cabinet or tiny closet, make sure you have it properly vented. I doubt this would pass any code though, seems very unsafe.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 4:37 pm
I have a counter space with some cabinets and a sink and an oven in my laundry room. I also have a second fridge and freezer in that room. This makes cooking in advance so much easier and smoother. I hate kashering so far in advance and having to be chometz free for extra time. My laundry room is in my basement and far from my kitchen, so I am not concerned about chometz reaching there.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 4:52 pm
We had plans for a pesach kitchen but didn't do it right away, and as it turns out we don't need it or want it, because we did put in a closet right off the kitchen where all the pesach items are kept year round.
Now that we have that and no longer have to box up items and schlep them up and down from the basement or upper storage cupboards, I feel content and would rather use the space we had set aside for all year round use. The closet is great - just pull out a pot, cook in it, wash it out, and return straight to shelf it's kept on all year round.
I love cooking in my regular kitchen (center of home, everything I need there) and I would have had to/wanted to kasher that even if we had a small pesach kitchen, so this works out better for our needs.

My mom has a pesach kitchen in the basement, and while it's great to use for early cooking, it's a real pain on pesach - up and down up and down, is the item we need upstairs or downstairs?

nchr

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:39 pm
banana123 wrote:
Do your kids play in there unsupervised? I would be so scared that they'd start playing with the kitchen.

I do not know about her particular home, but my pesach kitchen is also in our "play room," off of the kitchen. The children cannot access it because it would involve removing panels from the wall to reveal the kitchen.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:52 pm
Mine is off my main kitchen with removable doors. I love love love my Pesach kitchen. It has its own fridge, stove, and storage areas. I have 2 sinks. I decorated it really cute unlike my main kitchen where there are no walls. Everything is stored in cabinets above the kitchen.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:03 pm
Sounds interesting. Could you post a pic?

Cookiegirl

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:04 pm
I am thinking of putting in a small kitchenette in my basement to use for chometz needs in the week or two before Pesach so we can kasher the main kitchen earlier, and at a calmer pace. I don't cook a lot in advance as of now, but as I get older and more kids will be getting married and coming home with families BE"H, I think it will get harder to do the marathon cooking on Erev Yom Tov and Yom Tov...so I have a little bit of a different angle on the idea

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sounds interesting. Could you post a pic?

The doors are on now. In a way, I wish it was my everyday kitchen. The cabinets are mid level instead of the usual white ones. It has a mirrored backsplash, so I have to be careful taking the picture. If I remember and can figure out how, I will post.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics