Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Need Help on "COLLEGE"
1  2  Next

Blossom

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 1:09 pm
My DH wants to get a degree in Special Ed .
I have absolutely no idea where to start.
What type of major (is that what it's called) should he go for?
How do you know what college to choose?
Any major differences or advantages for doing it online?

Anybody has any knowledge about Machon L'parnasah and Touro College?

So many questions and I don't have the answers to them. I am really confused. So if any of you college-knowledgeable people can help this knowledge of college challenged individual I'd appreciate it so very much.

eek225

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 2:22 pm
Blossom wrote:
My DH wants to get a degree in Special Ed .
I have absolutely no idea where to start.
What type of major (is that what it's called) should he go for?
How do you know what college to choose?
Any major differences or advantages for doing it online?

Anybody has any knowledge about Machon L'parnasah and Touro College?

So many questions and I don't have the answers to them. I am really confused. So if any of you college-knowledgeable people can help this knowledge of college challenged individual I'd appreciate it so very much.

I was a finance major, and didnt graduate from touro (I transferred to brooklyn college), but call touro 718 463 0400, if I recall correctly. I think what hed want is a major in "education." is there such a thing, a major in "special ed?"?? Call them, ask to speak to an advisor.

Yes, its called a major.

I dont think you can do it through machon lparnosoh I think they only have associate degrees (like to become a paralegal, bookkeeper, paraprofessional, nurses assistant), stuff like that which doesnt require a B.A. (= bachelors of arts) or B.S. (=bachelor of science) degree.

What college to choose - depends on what you want to get out of college. The fact that you dont know what a "major" is makes me think that maybe your chassidish or something, and have NEVEr been to college. Therefore, Touro is just fine, because youre in a frum environment, and you wont get that at non jewish places (obviously).

I have no clue about doing it online. Try posting in the "working women" forum. Ask if anyone majored in EDUCATION....see if they did it online. I know for my major, its impossible to do online, but after you finish the major, if you WANT to get a MASTERS (comes after a major), you CAN do it online (like an "MBA"-thats the most common one probably, for finance majors), but its not nearly as well respected or highly regarded as doing it in a classroom setting. I Have no clue how they "judge" doing it online for education, or if its even possible!!!

You can PM me if you have any other questions, but I dont know how much I can help because I wasnt an education major. But I can try to point you in the right direction. Good luck Smile

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 2:25 pm
My mom has a couple of those (masters) degrees. It's a LOT of work.

bigmomma

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 3:06 pm
Sometimes a guy's yeshiva will give a B.A. such as Morristown or I think 770. B.A. programs are long no matter which way you cut it. See if he can get credits for his yeshiva education or life experience. Many colleges give it especially ones geared to frum people.
A Master's degree is very doable in special ed. I know people who have done it through Grand Canyon University and it's regarded like a regular masters

First Lady

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 4:47 pm
I was just going to post something like this, how did you know.
My husband would also like to pursue a degree so I'm grateful for this thread and will be following it. One question. Does it take 4 years for a Bachelors?(2 for associate, 2 for Bachelor) or is there a possibility that it could take less, like a crash course.

ffbmom

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 6:08 pm
What does he want to do with it? Where does he want to use it? Be careful with Touro. Not all their education campuses, even in Flatbush, are separate and frum.

ss321

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 7:06 pm
First Lady wrote:
I was just going to post something like this, how did you know.
My husband would also like to pursue a degree so I'm grateful for this thread and will be following it. One question. Does it take 4 years for a Bachelors?(2 for associate, 2 for Bachelor) or is there a possibility that it could take less, like a crash course.

Yes it is possible to do it in less than three years.

EVEN in non jewish colleges. Basically, let me make it really basic. you need 120 "credits "for a bachelors degree.
each class is generally 3 credits. But then there are some (usually those that meet once a week, that are 1 or two credits), and then there are some (mostly math and science courses that have accompanying lab sections), that are 4, 5, or even sometimes six(!) credits.

So most people split that up over eight semesters (a semester being from ~august to december and then ~january to may), and then finish in four years.
you can see then, that if you a) take more classes each semester (say 18 credits instead of 15, you can "save" a semester). b) take classes in the "fall semester' the "spring semeter" PLUS the summer semester, you can finish in three instead of four years.

So thats the basics.

Now, another point. Any college you go to, you choose a major. were talking education here. I dont know that much about an education major, I majored in Biology. But at any rate, aside from a given number of "credits" you need in your MAJOR (usually around 40), you need to take a bunch of OTHER classes. Like basic english classes-writing, literature, research writing, etc. basic philosphy courses-ethics, religion, etc. basic math courses - algebra, statistics. basic science courses - usually a year of basic biology or chemistry (which is equivalent to regents level biology or chemistry. its not advanced at all). Plus history, and usually something like a foregin language (see below though, before you freak out) That takes up about 50 credits. The rest, are "elective"- you can take WHATEVER you want. Art, unterwater basket wearving, philsophy of eating food, whatever.

NOW. lets talk about a school like touro, because this is probably gonna be the best option. Basically, if your husband is in Yeshiva, (and I think it has to be a yeshiva on their list. but there are tons. Just I think there are certain yeshivos they wont just approve). he can earn a certain amount of "credits" through his "ADVANCED EDUCATION" in Yeshiva! meaning-
gemara turns into talmudic law (so its a "law" course)
gemara turns into logic (so its a "logic course")
gemara turns into roman history (so its a history course)
mussar turns into ethics (so its a philsophy course)
shulchan aruch turns into history of jewish reasoning and thought (so its a history course)
then they give you credit for things like hebrew langugage, and stuff like that.
So you end up using alot of your real life knowledge and applying that toward the degree, so that you DONT need to sit through classes like philosphy of aristotle, psychology, or european intellectual history.
Nevertheless, there are certain things that yOU HAVE TO TAKE. no matter what: a year of science, and the math classes, and im pretty sure the basic english classes. You cant really finagle youre way out of those, unless you took an "AP" exam in high school, and can thereby prove to them, that you have learned all that info in the past, and dont need to waste time and money doing it again. But being that youre asking the bare basics about college, Im assuming you didnt take AP courses.

Anyway, so thats basically how touro works, I would probably say thats your best answer.
Really yasher koach for looking into this option altogether, if youre coming from a background where no one goes to college!!!

Another important point about touro. the classes your husband would want to be taking should be at the Avenue J campus. Not like kings highway, or anywhere else they tell you about. many of those are not only co-ed, but cater to a VERY different crowd (eg not eventhe people youd find in a much larger, much more selective university setting. and ill leave it at that).
The TOURO you want, is "TOURO-LAS." Touro has literaly hundreds of programs. you want that one. Which is in a frum environment.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 1:20 pm
call PCS (professional career services) which is a division Agudah - they offer courses for a masters in special ed in a lot less time than going the traditional route - having yeshiva credits (BA in Talmudic law) may be necessary 732-905-9700 - either way they may be able to guide you.

gonewiththewind

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 1:39 pm
SKRG (frum program) for getting an online special ed masters, I don't know which university they go through for special ed718-232-2803
They also help you get your BA

SKRG@OPTONLINE.NET

I hope Shaindy appreciates the free advertisement. I you go tell me so I can get a referral fee!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 11:42 am
Is that the correct number for SKRG 718-232-2803, it's always busy and is there a website? thanks.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 9:04 am
Anyone doing or done the Masters in Education program at Sara Schneirer, am thinking of it, is it tons of work?

amother

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 9:29 am
Allow me to rephrase this: Are most Master's programs tons of work-papers, tests or did anyone find it not a big deal...

mommalah

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 9:52 am
I also feel the need to add that unless you're legally poor, Touro will cost you many thousands of dollars. While if he goes to a city college (like Brooklyn College or Queens College) it will cost thousands less.
BA or BS at Brooklyn cost $16k
The same at Touro will cost $50k

Personally, a frum environment is not worth the extra $34k. But that's just me!

amother

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 11:57 am
Except that the frum places will offer you two nights a week or Sunday only or two mornings a week, whereas Brooklyn and Hunter College you have to attend 4 nights a week, I think the private frum programs are worth the convenience and scheduling.

Blossom

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 5:43 pm
Thank You everybody for responding. It is very helpful. We are still looking into things and I just noticed this thread now with all of your helpful responses.
My DH is not from the US so although in his family there are those that went to college, it's different in his mother country, I think, as they couldn't help us much.
For me, college is (was) pretty foreign because I went to a Chassidish school. In my family though it's encouraged and a few of my family members are going that route. I'm becoming more educated as I look around Smile although I'm still confused and undecided.
I will have to look into your responses again one by one and hopefully will be able to settle on something.

MahPitom

Post Sat, Mar 29 2008, 10:00 pm
Testing & Training International
Raizel Reit Program

718-376-0974

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Mar 30 2008, 10:13 pm
I have a masters in education and the typical length for M.A.Ed is 2 and a half years full time with internships while studying. It was very expensive and yes, quite time consuming and sometimes difficult (more stressful, I guess, than difficult).

Had I remained in the field of education it totally would have been worth it. I got plenty of knowledge in the MAED program that did help me while I was teaching. But BECAUSE of student loans, my husband and I BOTH couldn't remain in the field of education because the field doesn't produce enough income to pay down the student loans to get the degrees you need to do the work that gets you the measely $50,000 a year. grrr.

So if you feel he can remain in the field for a long time after he gets his masters (ie you have a high paying career)..... then zie gezunt, education is a great field to go into and we NEED good educators. And maybe special ed pays better than regular general or Judaic studies, I don't know.

MahPitom

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 10:04 am
TwinsMommy that is a very depressing post. I thank Hashem I made my career by buying a book on amazon and launching myself a business. How many times I wished I can get myself some abc to follow my name and pulled back realizing it aint so glamorous because the pay is so measly. What is this world coming too!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 8:54 am
Does anyone know if you need to study for the LAST/ATSW or are they tests of general knowledge?

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 9:29 am
it is a good to take a refresher..

It can be quite complicated
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics