Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I live in NY. Should I drive out of state to shop?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:09 pm
I have no patience waiting in the super long lines caused by the bag ban.

mamma llama

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have no patience waiting in the super long lines caused by the bag ban.

Why is the ban making the lines longer?

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:16 pm
Srsly?

Unless you live very close to a state border, it sounds much quicker and cheaper to shop locally.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:47 pm
LAUGH!! You mean your not willing to "waste" 10 minutes waiting in line but your willing to "waste" 10 or more minutes to drive out of state?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:18 pm
mamma llama wrote:
Why is the ban making the lines longer?

Because cashiers bag faster than customers do.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:18 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
LAUGH!! You mean your not willing to "waste" 10 minutes waiting in line but your willing to "waste" 10 or more minutes to drive out of state?

Drive once, shop at 10 stores, save 10 minutes in each.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:59 pm
No! Just shop at places that deliver.
You can even order from certain kosher groceries online.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 4:16 am
I was thinking about this as well. Not to save time on line, but to get BAGS! The reusable ones that I bought are somewhat smaller than the strong plastic ones the kosher markets give out. The paper bags aren't as sturdy, the handle is not comfortable to carry and there is a 5 cent charge for each one. The stores in my area are going to be charging for each delivery box and the fee for delivery is going up. So maybe rather than shop in a smaller, crowded NYC market, I am better off driving to NJ where there is an ample parking lot and I can get some good plastic bags out of it.

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 4:21 am
Oh for crying out loud, just bring some reusable cloth grocery bags like people do in many, many countries all over the world.

So much unnecessary drama.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 4:31 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I was thinking about this as well. Not to save time on line, but to get BAGS! The reusable ones that I bought are somewhat smaller than the strong plastic ones the kosher markets give out. The paper bags aren't as sturdy, the handle is not comfortable to carry and there is a 5 cent charge for each one. The stores in my area are going to be charging for each delivery box and the fee for delivery is going up. So maybe rather than shop in a smaller, crowded NYC market, I am better off driving to NJ where there is an ample parking lot and I can get some good plastic bags out of it.

Is the delivery fee more than the Verezano and Outerbridge Crossing
I find that hard to believe Confused

southernbubby

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 4:33 am
From my home, NJ is about 15 minutes away. I might go once in awhile.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 4:38 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Is the delivery fee more than the Verezano and Outerbridge Crossing
I find that hard to believe Confused

From Monsey to NJ there are no tolls. I think that someone who lives in Brooklyn is better off with grocery delivery.
I think that this could harm businesses because most people don't walk around with shopping bags and may decide not to walk into the corner market for those few little things.
I am glad that it will help the environment but now shopping needs to be planned.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 4:39 am
southernbubby wrote:
From my home, NJ is about 15 minutes away. I might go once in awhile.

Gas and tolls not cheap..

singleagain

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 4:43 am
Only you can figure out if driving is worth the time, money and bags.

How much actual time standing on lines do you save? Have you actually timed it? What if you go to the store at a less busy time? It's not just the tolls, the the wear and tear on your car. The gas. Traffic.

Also the prices, is it really saving if you will end up paying more for your groceries?

There could be many other variables. But you have to really consider every angle. And then decide what's best for you.

trixx

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 5:11 am
southernbubby wrote:
From Monsey to NJ there are no tolls. I think that someone who lives in Brooklyn is better off with grocery delivery.
I think that this could harm businesses because most people don't walk around with shopping bags and may decide not to walk into the corner market for those few little things.
I am glad that it will help the environment but now shopping needs to be planned.

I got an email from a non Jewish market that basically said this.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 5:13 am
trixx wrote:
I got an email from a non Jewish market that basically said this.

That's why the law is being delayed. A group of bodega owners is suing I believe. It makes sense, Brooklyn stores rely on impulse purchases by foot traffic and the bag ban will significantly reduce that.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 5:19 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Gas and tolls not cheap..

She lives in Monsey. She can drive down Saddle River Road or Route 45 and tollessly get to NJ or Thurway to Mahwah without a toll.

OP, it doesn't sound reason to spend more time traveling because you don't have the patience to wait in line, but that is your choice.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 5:24 am
As DrMom wrote, people have been doing this for YEARS already in other countries. My DH pays to buy 'thicker' plastic bags because he can't be bothered to carry around, and I carry around 2-3 folded cloth bags in my purse for emergencies. I keep costco reusable bags in my trunk for my bigger grocery runs. We've been dealing with this where I live for a few years and no one is crying about this. Even at the frum grocery stores here; people manage just fine!

What is the big deal?

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 5:26 am
From what I'm reading, the long lines are caused by coronavirus fears, not the bag ban.

Where I live, plastic bags were banned a few years ago. There were not longer lines after the ban.

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 5:34 am
May this be your worst problem ever!

#firstworldproblem
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics