Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Are your kids being absolutely horrible?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 9:17 pm
Or is it just at my house???

Nonstop complaints. Nonstop fighting.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 9:30 pm
No baruch hashem.

But yours are probably not in the minority!

amother
Black

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 9:35 pm
Only at your house!!!!

In my house, everyone gets up and gets dressed quietly, without fighting, reading, whining, or screaming.
They calmly take breakfast, speak peacefully, clear their plates, bentch.
They daven with such kavanah!! Such nachas.
Then they sit primly on the couch without touching each other or raising their voices until lunch time.
When we eat, they smile and graciously thank us for the food and compliment it! No one asks for yogurt or something else to eat.
In the afternoon, they read books and play card games. No sore losers. They help each other out. I get to read or take a nap.
Of course, supper is a mechaya as well, and they go to bed as soon as we tell them to.

The day goes by with nary a spit, hit, kick, shriek, name call, scream, throwing things all over, grabbing sibling's toy...
I don't know what's going wrong in your house...

/sarcasm, if you couldn't tell.

Op, your house is like our house!!! Smile

groisamomma

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 9:37 pm
Just your house. šŸ˜‰

Have you even read any of the similar threads here? Please do. I'll bet you'll see your kids are gold compared to some of them.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 9:38 pm
My kids act like that all the time. Thatā€™s ā€œnormalā€ for us.

Ravenclaw

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 9:39 pm
I wouldnā€™t call my kids horrible, anymore than I would call myself horrible for not being that perky look-at-our-packed-schedule homeschooling mom.

They are bored and frustrated. Just like me.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 9:40 pm
Now truthfully, my kids are awful when they are bored, so I try to help keep them busy.

Today we were indoors all day.
Today we made kugel, brownies, cookies.
I let them play some games in computer at torahgames.
I let the older kids (8, 10 ) watch shiurim for kids on torahanytime.com

Yesterday we kept them outdoors almost all day, biking, etc.
(We are not in total lockdown.)

We also got new card games, which helps... until they fight about turns or fairness or cheating or losing, etc. I try to play games one on one with them... Let's say each kid, two games a day.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 9:53 pm
Mine are wonderful until around 1pm. They go rapidly downhill from there. But that's not unique to covid.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 9:54 pm
You can try giving them each a drop of cbd oil under their tongues

Ravenclaw

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 10:01 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

Yeah, pot will totally calm them down.
Parenting 101
LOL

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 10:11 pm
No they're being amazing. They play together peacefully all day. By all day I mean alll day long. And they won't sleep. Refuse to sleep. One just came into my room asking me to peel him an orange "I'm going to share with all my brothers!"

But they won't sleep. Lights out mean nothing to them.

They are all still awake. Even the baby 7 months old who has fomo.

They just eat and play together alllll day and then refuse to sleep unless my husband and I are knocled out before them.

They don't sleep. Why don't they sleep? I don't want to fall asleep before them? I want some time in my house with them sleeping!

I even took them to a deserted parking lot and made them run and scoot laps for over an hour. Still not sleeping....

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 10:17 pm
No they're being amazing. They play together peacefully all day. By all day I mean alll day long. And they won't sleep. Refuse to sleep. One just came into my room asking me to peel him an orange "I'm going to share with all my brothers!"

But they won't sleep. Lights out mean nothing to them.

They are all still awake. Even the baby 7 months old who has fomo.

They just eat and play together alllll day and then refuse to sleep unless my husband and I are knocled out before them.

They don't sleep. Why don't they sleep? I don't want to fall asleep before them? I want some time in my house with them sleeping!

I even took them to a deserted parking lot and made them run and scoot laps for over an hour. Still not sleeping....

tweety1

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 10:23 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

Never! Marijuana in a sugar coated term.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 10:33 pm
I agree with the other mom who said about keeping her kids busy. My kids will get into fights or kvetch so I try to keep them busy. On a regular weekday, they are going from online or phone "class" to "class" and during "free time", they must read inde. Or do khan academy...my younger kids are watched by my dh and they have activites plus need to be taken for walks around the block....this is while I work...then when my dh works in afternoon/evening...my kids get to do prodigy or games on computer while I work/play with my younger kids....then we all dance to music videos to get exercise from sitting all day...then bedtime routines and they have early bedtime to keep same school routine....

Now that its yom tov...they get to play on computer but must take turns...any fights I immediately separate them and take away computer as a "punishment " such that they dont want to lose computer so they'll behave...of course, like kids they'll still have fights/kvetching but ...I agree they need to be kept busy....

On yom tov is time to play games while the younger ones go outside for walks or we do "train walks" inside....the games are fun after having computer time on chol moed....

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 11:15 pm
So I just supervised their baking session and now, four pans of brownies and 8 pans of cookies later, everyone's in a good mood again. But I don't understand. If you're bored why pick fights with your siblings and whine? Why not DO something instead of acting horrid? When I was a kid I always had a million little projects I was working on. Why waste all this free time?

asmileaday

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 11:49 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Mine are wonderful until around 1pm. They go rapidly downhill from there. But that's not unique to covid.

That's why we start our day at 1pm (almost!) LOL

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:17 am
Please please tell me amother who mentioned cbd oil was making some kind of joke. Rather let your kids fight, swing from the light fixtures, and spend all afternoon watching tv than drug them.

dankbar

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:35 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Only at your house!!!!

In my house, everyone gets up and gets dressed quietly, without fighting, reading, whining, or screaming.
They calmly take breakfast, speak peacefully, clear their plates, bentch.
They daven with such kavanah!! Such nachas.
Then they sit primly on the couch without touching each other or raising their voices until lunch time.
When we eat, they smile and graciously thank us for the food and compliment it! No one asks for yogurt or something else to eat.
In the afternoon, they read books and play card games. No sore losers. They help each other out. I get to read or take a nap.
Of course, supper is a mechaya as well, and they go to bed as soon as we tell them to.

The day goes by with nary a spit, hit, kick, shriek, name call, scream, throwing things all over, grabbing sibling's toy...
I don't know what's going wrong in your house...

/sarcasm, if you couldn't tell.

Op, your house is like our house!!! Smile

Is your family's name, Zanvil zevulun by any chance?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:44 am
Take it easy.
Try to enjoy with them.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:53 am
Apparently It seems I am the worst mother and my kids are perfect.
My failings today -
- made the wrong lunch
- bought the wrong cheese
- bought the new dresses too big
- new shoes too small
- woke some little ppl too late
- woke some biggish little ppl too early
- crafts had the wrong picture
- Iā€™m so mean to dd 4 as I donā€™t give in to every tantrum
- Iā€™m so mean to ds 1.5 because I make him sleep
- didnā€™t have time to play game of cards with each person.
- decided some boys should go to sleep before midnight (especially the most unhappiest of them - who has a headache - totally not related to lack of sleep in case you thought so...)
- there arenā€™t enough pants in the drawers. (Check the folded laundry on you dresser from before pesach..)

They really are wonderful and we all love each other to bits. But all this together time is getting to some ppl.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics