Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Would you let your 12 year old read The Diary of Anne Frank?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 4:30 am
My daughter is very sad about not being in school. I was thinking about letting her read The Diary of Anne Frank but I really don't remember it well enough to know if it's appropriate. Anyone have any insight?

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 6:22 am
You can google it more but Anne is quite obsessed with the local boys and has a relationship with one I believe even kissing him once.

I would allow an older kid to read it and remind them; 1. Anne was not religous. 2. The relationship she had with the kissing was when she was in hiding and the only person her age she could soacilize with for a year or more.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 6:24 am
great answer above- unless she is asking to read it I would wait

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 6:28 am
I remember reading the original at age 14. If I remember correctly, there is a very inapropriate part where she describes a womans body to the boy.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 6:30 am
I read it when I was around that age. I don't think I was old enough to really understand it, but I don't remember finding it inappropriate. I could relate to Anne as she was at the beginning of the book, but maybe didn't have the emotional depth to understand her as she matured. I don't think I understood her relationship with Peter.

If your daughter is very sheltered then maybe not, but I don't remember anything very shocking.

If she is having a hard time staying in the house with limited social contact, it would certainly give her a fresh perspective on what real isolation and hiding could mean.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 6:44 am
When I read it a few years back, there was a definitely a part with detailed description of a woman's parts and I still remember a comment along the lines of 'How could a man get in, let alone a baby come out?' So if you'd be comfortable with your daughter reading that, then it's practically ok otherwise.
(I think some copies of the book have removed those detailed parts.)

banana123

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 6:50 am
I read Anne Frank when I was about that age, but I lost patience halfway through.

I did love Number the Stars when we read it in school.

Cheshire cat

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 8:51 am
There are many versions available that are censored, although some versions end up slaughtering some of the beautiful language as well.

I think that, while a 12 year old can definitely enjoy the book, an older reader would appreciate it on an entirely different level. I would hold off until she is 14, 15.

It is such a profound book, it's almost a waste to read it at a young age.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 9:57 am
OP here. Thank you all for your feedback. I think I will wait. Thanks for the book recommendation!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 10:03 am
Why not choose something more happy and positive for her to read at this time?

I don't think I would give my 12 year old DD that particular book to read right now. I don't even think she would appreciate it for what it is just yet.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 11:52 am
I actually read it at around that age as part of my BY curriculum.
But it was the censored version that otto frank had approved. The uncensored one was published just a few years ago. You can easily find the previous edition.
But will your daughter like reading it? If she's missing school there are literally tons of classics she can read, why did you specifically pick that one? Just curious.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 11:57 am
banana123 wrote:
I read Anne Frank when I was about that age, but I lost patience halfway through.

I did love Number the Stars when we read it in school.

Yes!! That was going to be my suggestion! We read it in 5th grade, and I absolutely loooooooved it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics