Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Zoom and Preschoolers

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:21 pm
How are your preschoolers handling zoom. I have a five year old and it is such a battle I am really considering just stopping it. She has a hebrew zoom in the morn for around half hr and an english zoom in the afternoon for half hour. She also has reading groups four times a week - but different times every day - some hebrew and some english. Every time its time to logon she throws a fit. She walks away in the middle. I'm done. Honestly they are not learning much anyway. The first grade teachers are probably going to have to start off where the pre1A teachers left off before this started. Is this worth the battle? How are your kids doing?

Tech_mom

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:26 pm
Same. Considering stopping.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:30 pm
My DD (4) had a zoom meeting with part of her gan (split into groups to make it more manageable). It look the charedi gannenet 3 hours to figure out how to use zoom, delaying our pre-scheduled meetings and the girls just sat dumbly staring into the camera, some snacking and refusing to talk and others with all their siblings climbing all over them shouting into the screen.

Never again Banging head

thriver

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:32 pm
My five year old had a really hard time initially. We’ve been doing it from the start so been going on for a while here already. He actually preferred one Morah’s zoom time over the other and would sit through one and daily turn it off as soon as the second morah came in. I was surprised because the second one is super experienced and an absolutely amazing morah and the first one is in her first year of teaching.

Anyway, I decided to join him to see if I could help him sit longer. What I found (and saw with my other children’s teachers) is that the newer younger Morahs are typically much more tech savvy than the super experienced awesome classroom morah. It’s such a different style of a classroom.

It is completely understandable that your child is having a hard time. It is a huge transition for both herself, her teacher, and her classmates, besides for all of the other changes going on in her life right now.

Give her time. I’d recommend sitting along with her. I’ve been doing that and it helps tremendously. I encourage my son to stay on task (candies, check marks on a paper, giving him something to fidget with if he needs). It is also helpful for children this age to have a grownup who knows how to use the system. There are so many things that can and do go quirky with zoom. Your child will feel much more secure knowing you are there to help.

Hatzlacha! It is a rough road but there is hope 😊

thriver

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:34 pm
It is a learning curve ladies. Hold tight. It does get better. All of us mothers in my community were literally in tears the first week or two. Some days we still are. But for the most part, we’ve fallen into routine. The children, the teachers, and their classmates. And it’s just a little longer till June...! Sending strength to you all ❤️

simcha2

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:38 pm
My preschooler has 40 minutes a day. There has been a learning curve on the part of the morah. She now mutes everyone other than herself, unless she is asking a specific child a question.
Dd still loses focus some days, especially if they are working on a skill that is hard. (Handwriting for example). I try not to interfere too much other than occasional redirection.

et27

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 4:56 pm
My 4 year old hates it. I can't say I blame him. It's really not very stimulating for little kids and I'm just not insisting that he do it. I think if a child enjoys it, amazing!! But in preschool I'm just not making this a battle. I'm home with him 24/7 now and there are more important things I need to enforce than watching the teacher talking about the weather. I appreciate the efforts the school and teachers are putting in but it's just not working for my kid. No complaints at all about that, just the reality. My son gets therapies and some therapists reached out and want to do sessions. He really dislikes it and wants to "chop off their heads". I wish he enjoyed it but it's not meant to be!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics