Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Whose responsibility?

yo'ma

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 9:26 am
Whose responsibility do you think it is? They don’t give books for the year here. We have to go out and purchase them ourselves. The school said for a better price, we can give them the money and they’ll get the books for us. Since the lockdown started before they received the books, my kids never actually received them. The majority of the students live in the neighborhood, so it wasn’t a problem to get the books for them. Not only do we not live in the neighborhood, we’re not even in the city, so we were never able to get them and still can’t. Some of the work the teacher sends, but not all of it. When I told her that we don’t have the books, she said I should ask another parent for a copy. I did a few times, but most are not very forthcoming and I don’t think it’s the other parents responsibility. I sent an email to the school and I’ll see what they answer me, but what do you think? If I didn’t pay for it, that is 100% my fault, but I did pay for it. Is it the teachers responsibility to send it or should the school since they have my books or do I have to ask every single time another parent? I know it’s my responsibility to have it, but I’m asking more than that. Thank you!

happy to be me

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 11:46 am
Can the school ship it to you?

naturalmom5

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 11:51 am
The school should email a pdf version of book

If they cant , I personally would find another school

But thats just me

avrahamama

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 11:54 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
The school should email a pdf version of book

If they cant , I personally would find another school

But thats just me

I don't think switching schools is simple.... But I would nag the school until they did the right thing.

yo'ma

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 7:14 am
So, I am right that it’s really the schools responsibility. I emailed them yesterday and now I have to wait until they get back to me. They did respond right away, but I now I have to see what they’ll do. Mailing it is out of the question because the postal system is not the same as the states. They don’t even mail invitations, but hand deliver them.

I don’t know if it was the teacher or the school, but they have been sending most of the work, but not all of it. Thank you!

watergirl

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 7:33 am
How far away is the school from you? Back when your kids were attending school, how did they get there every day?

yo'ma

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 7:45 am
watergirl wrote:
How far away is the school from you? Back when your kids were attending school, how did they get there every day?

Right now, almost 3 hours, but before we went by subway which was a 40 minute trip and then I had to go back home, so it took me a total of almost 1 1/2 hours.

sub

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 9:33 am
Yes it is the school’s responsibility to get the material to you. But you are now 3 hours away and there is no regular mail delivery,
3 options
Scan the material and email it(we are doing that)
Teacher or principal takes pictures and emails, texts or whatsapp them ( this is what I did)
Ups ,the material- which is the most practical- if there is a-lot of material and you don’t have a printer)

You threw them for a loop moving so far away, but a school staff should care about all their students and make sure they have what they need.
Call the principal don’t wait.
and work out a plan together

SixOfWands

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 9:55 am
yo'ma wrote:
Right now, almost 3 hours, but before we went by subway which was a 40 minute trip and then I had to go back home, so it took me a total of almost 1 1/2 hours.

I’m guessing that it’s 3 hours because you don’t have access to a car.

I don’t know whose responsibility it is. I don’t think I care. The goal is to get the kids the materials that they need.

Maybe there are people who still travel between your location and the area of the school, who could get the materials for a small fee or as a chesed If you have a neighborhood message group, or a shul bulletin, try asking.

Same group, put out a call to people whose kids are a year older to see if they have the materials in your area.

I know you said no mail, but is there a courier service like DHL, or even something like Uber? I imagine that would be expensive, though.

Good luck.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 9:58 am
Most schools are giving parents times and dates to come pick stuff up while socially distancing. My school had a drive through pick up materials. I dont think its their responsibility as long as they are giving you times to come get it

sub

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 10:53 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Most schools are giving parents times and dates to come pick stuff up while socially distancing. My school had a drive through pick up materials. I dont think its their responsibility as long as they are giving you times to come get it

She lives too far away

Can you find out if someone is traveling for work ? Whats app groups that let people know who’s going and coming from your area?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics