Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
CHILD BEING CALLED A NAME "HARRY"

Naomi Yoheved

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 7:59 pm
Hello all

I spoke to my daughter of 14 and she says that although she hasn't specifically heard of this expression, she said the first thing that comes to her is a "nobody" someone who is very average intellect. Just a thought if it helps.

cookielady

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 8:01 pm
like every Tom, d!ck and Harry??

amother

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 8:17 pm
hm ... I had a brother named harry Sad he wasn't a nobody

queen

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 8:34 pm
Naomi Yoheved wrote:
Hello all

I spoke to my daughter of 14 and she says that although she hasn't specifically heard of this expression, she said the first thing that comes to her is a "nobody" someone who is very average intellect. Just a thought if it helps.

on the other thread there was someone who described a harry as one with a backpack with books in it. That's more the drift. A harry could be bright but slightly nerdy. Not very "New Yorkie"

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 9:37 pm
cookielady did you put the asterix in yourself or was it automated? LOL

Squash

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 9:42 pm
[quote="queenon the other thread there was someone who described a harry as one with a backpack with books in it. That's more the drift. A harry could be bright but slightly nerdy. Not very "New Yorkie"[/quote]

Okay! I think Queen hit it!!!!! I hereby nominate this for the official definition of 'harry'.

Harry (adj.) not New Yorkie.

cookielady

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 10:04 pm
I am so embarassed. embarrassed I didnt do that, the site did. I couldnt believe when I saw that!!

mommyX2

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 10:09 pm
yes I think harry is out of towny...nerdy...

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 10:17 pm
Squash wrote:
[quote="queenon the other thread there was someone who described a harry as one with a backpack with books in it. That's more the drift. A harry could be bright but slightly nerdy. Not very "New Yorkie"

Okay! I think Queen hit it!!!!! I hereby nominate this for the official definition of 'harry'.

Harry (adj.) not New Yorkie.[/quote]

speaking as a local harriet, wrong definition. I may not be new yorkie, but neither are my two wonderfully yeshivish brothers who have jointly dubbed me harriet.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 10:21 pm
I think what she meant to say was "Tom, Eiver and Harry"

Don't hate me because I'm amother.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 10:54 pm
I guess D ick is a worse name than poor ole Harry ... What

Maya

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 7:24 pm
I just came across this blog where she discusses the meaning of the nickname "Harry". Interesting blog entry.

http://frumhouse.blogspot.com/......html

gryp

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 7:38 pm
I don't usually read people's blogs, but I read this one out of curiousity, and I'm left with a sick feeling.
That's not how it is in my world, Thank G-d.

Squash

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 7:57 pm
And thanks to you, gr, I will not be reading that. Not looking for sick feelings at this point in my life. thanks.

gryp

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 7:59 pm
Sure, Squash. Smile

I'd rather be a Harry(/iet) than someone who thinks up nasty things about their fellow Jews. Rolling Eyes

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 4:52 am
it s*cks
it's really mean. I'm going to ask my friends if they also use the harry stuff and if they do they'll hear from me.

Unfortunately, even if no "harry", it's common to hear criticism about "overzealous" bts trying to fit in. Can't we all tolerate each other?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 5:25 am
Very depressing but unfortunetly true. I can say that since according to the definition in the article I qulaify as a Harry and I defintiely get treated like a second class citizen by "the system".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries