Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Why do schools give out junk food?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:09 pm
Unfortunately calories are cheap.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:27 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
We are in Monsey and were on 2 different food programs. Same story with each: white bread, juice, deli meat etc. If there is a more nutritious program here please let me know, but I think there are only 3 caterers total providing lunches in Monsey.

My friend gets from Bais Rochel. She didn't want the food. He husband picked it up anyways. He dropped off a box at my house. It had raw salmon, ww bread, frozen vegetables, cake for shabbo.. plus milk, chocolate milk, fresh fruits and apples juice

I think other schools are also doing their own catering

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:57 pm
Surprise! I'm getting red milk lately and it's very appreciated as well. I also get fresh fruits and veggies. Of course there are also cheese latkes, white or ww rolls, tuna w mayo, yogurt, potato croquettes, Apple sauce and so on. I put the little juice cups in the freezer for instant ices. I'm very grare duo for this food and I get to share it w my neighbors as well. It's a win win for us!
I agree that when the kids got ww pasta in school they did not eat it at all and just complained about it.
Off topic, but I always wonder if it's so hard to make the school lunches taste decent. My kids always complain about them. When I was in school eons ago the cooks did a terrific job on the lunches and we looked forward to them. So what changed?

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:13 pm
I didn't read all the pages, I run a school lunch program and we don't serve things like hot dogs or chicken nuggets.

The new dietary requirements have come out for upcoming school year, they are less nutritious than before.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 7:18 am
I'm not complaining about the lunches, I'm very appreciative even though more for convenience than desperate need. that being said, just cuz people do need the lunches doesn't mean they should get junk food. give less and give healthier foods.
also, I didn't mean they should give out cash or checks but a "food stamp" type of card or whatever that can go only for food.
no one is complaining about getting food, we're allowed to have a conversation about the school system's food choices.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics