Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Is there any way to make this recipe in the oven?

Marathon

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:37 pm
Is there any way to make this recipe in the oven?

https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-1056

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:40 pm
You would have to boil the noodles first.
And also make the ragout in the pan...

Then you could toss it in an oven pan and bake it...

A similar dish for the oven would be Lasagne... in general you don''t need to precook Lasagne noodles...
but there you would also have to precook the ragout...

Marathon

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:42 pm
Bake for how long?

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:43 pm
Sure - a slow cooker is essentially just a slow braise.

But my question is why you would want to since it's not a particularly good recipe. For starters, meat should be sautéed in the pan to get a better flavor and also to get rid of the fat. Aromatics are better bloomed in the pan as well so much better to sautés garlic and onions for additional flavor.

In my experience pasta cooked like this for so long becomes soggy and unpalatable. Pasta is best when cooked separately al dente.

It's a very easy stove top recipe but if for some reason you wanted to finish it in the oven on a moderate oven in a covered pan you could.

Marathon

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:44 pm
Ora in town wrote:
You would have to boil the noodles first.
And also make the ragout in the pan...

Then you could toss it in an oven pan and bake it...

A similar dish for the oven would be Lasagne... in general you don''t need to precook Lasagne noodles...
but there you would also have to precook the ragout...

What is ragout?

Marathon

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:46 pm
Amarante wrote:
Sure - a slow cooker is essentially just a slow braise.

But my question is why you would want to since it's not a particularly good recipe. For starters, meat should be sautéed in the pan to get a better flavor and also to get rid of the fat. Aromatics are better bloomed in the pan as well so much better to sautés garlic and onions for additional flavor.

In my experience pasta cooked like this for so long becomes soggy and unpalatable. Pasta is best when cooked separately al dente.

It's a very easy stove top recipe but if for some reason you wanted to finish it in the oven on a moderate oven in a covered pan you could.

How would I do it on the stove top then?

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:49 pm
Marathon wrote:
How would I do it on the stove top then?

I would make a sauce - saute the meat until brown with garlic and onion. Add the sauce and spinach and salt/pepper to taste and let it simmer for the ingredients to marry.

Make spaghetti or other pasta

Toss together

It's really not anything other than doctored spaghetti sauce. This kind of recipe for a crock pot is for people who aren't home and therefore cooking on stove or in the oven is not possible.

However, absolutely nothing is gained in ease or taste from making it in a crock pot - it's actually a bit more difficult in my opinion.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:52 pm
Generally when there is a baked pasta dish like lasagna or ziti, the end result is firmer than spaghetti with a sauce where the pasta and sauce is cooked separately.

This appears to produce a result that is equivalent to spaghetti with sauce - much simpler just to make a sauce and put it on top of pasta. This is just a doctored bottled sauce because it adds spinach which is a trick that is used to increase nutritional value especially for kids since they don't realize they are eating spinach.

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:59 pm
Yes, I would also go for stove top. You need a pan and a pot.
The pan for the ragout or meat sauce as described by Amarante.
A pot for the pasta: bring water to boil, salt, toss pasta in, leave lid open, for the time prescribed on the package (generally around 8 minutes) drain... drip a bit of olive oil on them.

If you want something for the crockpot, it is better to choose something with beans, tchulent-style, or chickpeas, etc. or brown rice... those suffer less...

Marathon

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 6:07 pm
Amarante wrote:
I would make a sauce - saute the meat until brown with garlic and onion. Add the sauce and spinach and salt/pepper to taste and let it simmer for the ingredients to marry.

Make spaghetti or other pasta

Toss together

It's really not anything other than doctored spaghetti sauce. This kind of recipe for a crock pot is for people who aren't home and therefore cooking on stove or in the oven is not possible.

However, absolutely nothing is gained in ease or taste from making it in a crock pot - it's actually a bit more difficult in my opinion.

Thanks Im going to try it your way

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 6:08 pm
Marathon wrote:
Thanks Im going to try it your way

Just make sure to skip the water from the meat sauce.
You'll be cooking the spaghetti separately in water in its own pot.

Dina2018

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 6:37 pm
anybody ever tried cooking spaghetti in a crock pot? for 6! hours? is it even possible? it will dissolve or something!

Marathon

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 9:46 pm
Thanks everyone! It was really tasty!!
We really enjoyed!

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:18 pm
Marathon wrote:
Thanks everyone! It was really tasty!!
We really enjoyed!

Glad you enjoyed. Doctoring store bought sauce is an excellent way to make a fast tasty meal.

I make a recipe where the meatballs are poached in the store bought sauce and the sauce gets tastier and the meatballs are also very good and tender.

Marathon

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:33 pm
Amarante wrote:
Glad you enjoyed. Doctoring store bought sauce is an excellent way to make a fast tasty meal.

I make a recipe where the meatballs are poached in the store bought sauce and the sauce gets tastier and the meatballs are also very good and tender.

What do u mean by store bought sauce?

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:35 pm
Marathon wrote:
What do u mean by store bought sauce?

What you bought - spaghetti sauce in a bottle as opposed to making marina/spaghetti sauce from scratch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics