Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much does teaching make?
1  2  3  4  Next

TravelHearter

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 12:28 am
Realistically.
Also what’s your location... I’m wondering if that changes things
And if part or full time

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 3:47 am
I make $60-70k (depending on the year and how many classes) very full time in a wealthy NY suburb.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 3:54 am
16-17 k nis bruto a month. 12k NIS net or so a month (after income tax, bituach leumi, pension, etc).

In Israel, 20 yrs experience with a Masters. High school.

About 8:00 - 15:30, 5 days a week. That's 40 hours (each hour is actually 45 min). But only 24 hours are actual teaching, the rest is prep time, meetings, one on one tutoring etc. Actually less than 24 hrs teaching if you have bagrut classes.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 4:42 am
I make 33k a year for limudei Kodesh elementary in lakewood. 9:15-12:50 and until 11:30 on Friday. I also get free tuition for my girls but teaching is hardly about the hours and my salary feels like hardly enough for taking on the responsibility of close to 30 girls every year.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 4:46 am
I make $24000 annually, my husband makes $30,000. Both similar hours in same school (and I have a M.ed😢). 8:30-1

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 5:17 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I make 33k a year for limudei Kodesh elementary in lakewood. 9:15-12:50 and until 11:30 on Friday. I also get free tuition for my girls but teaching is hardly about the hours and my salary feels like hardly enough for taking on the responsibility of close to 30 girls every year.

That’s tons!!!

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 5:25 am
One of my kids is a STEM teacher with an MEd and a decade of experience. Has taught in a religious day, independent private, and public systems. Max salary earned was $50k. Works much longer hours than “official” school day due to lesson planning, grading, continuing education training etc.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 5:30 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
That’s tons!!!

Is it really? Feels like nothing to me.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 5:35 am

Free tuition is worth a ton. My school gives 50%. It’s also pre tax income so you can still get benefits.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 5:35 am

For part time, it’s great.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 5:37 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
For part time, it’s great.

Wow, you're all making me feel better about my job. Very Happy Pretax is a big deal though it doesn't help me with any benefits because of a second side job.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 5:42 am
Side point- at one point I worked half a day in a school that paid me 30k for half a day. I thought “great I’ll work a full day and make 60k”. Nope. They only pay an extra 15k for the second half of the day. Not sure why.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:07 am
I live oot.
Starting morah salary is around 14k.
If you're single, around 9 k.
Not fair.

I know morahs who (over time) get paid over 20k, but it's a secret.

Nothing is even, no one is allowed to discuss their salary...

And rebbi's probably start at 60k, for working about 10 hrs more per week... And being a rebbi.
Crying

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:09 am

30 girls must be very hard!!!

But 33k is lots of money for so few hours! Figure out your hourly rate.

Is that the regular going rate in lkwd??

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:15 am
27k general studies from 1-4 every day, plus 2 hours on Friday.
I don't have a degree, but more than 10 yrs experience. I also make an additional 5k a year for additional responsibilities -about 60 hours of work a year. The only schools that pay more require a degree or don't pay on time.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:19 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
30 girls must be very hard!!!

But 33k is lots of money for so few hours! Figure out your hourly rate.

Is that the regular going rate in lkwd??

If you calculate the hours to include marking, talking to parents, school events, trips, meetings, planning, paperwork, ... it does not come out to a lot at all.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:22 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I live oot.
Starting morah salary is around 14k.
If you're single, around 9 k.
Not fair.

I know morahs who (over time) get paid over 20k, but it's a secret.

Nothing is even, no one is allowed to discuss their salary...

And rebbi's probably start at 60k, for working about 10 hrs more per week... And being a rebbi.
Crying

?! Please tell me that is part time you're talking about! That's highway robbery if they expect that to be a full time salary....

I also worked in a school that we weren't allowed to discuss salaries. If the principal liked you, you got a salary bump. I got approximately 24k for a full day as an assistant. BH $5/hour for their daycare, taken out before taxes (I was one of the only frum teachers in the school, Lubavitch to boot, so the Rabbi of the entire school + shul wanted to incentivize where the principal of the school wouldn't).
Teaneck area.

Edit: I have a bachelor's and two minors

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:22 am
Wow, you're all making me feel better about my job. Very Happy Pretax is a big deal though it doesn't help me with any benefits because of a second side job.

It’s a lot for a teaching job in Lakewood. I’m really curious to know which school.

They generally pay between $18-25k.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:24 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
If you calculate the hours to include marking, talking to parents, school events, trips, meetings, planning, paperwork, ... it does not come out to a lot at all.

If you calculate how much tuition is and add that to your salary... It comes out to a lot!

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:29 am
I make a little over 80K teaching at a NYC public school.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics