Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Ice cream machine. Is the finished product good?
1  2  Next

crust

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 10:28 pm
Have you ever tried one?

Anyone has a recipe?

I wonder what the machine does. Does the ice cream look like store bought ice cream?

thepickled

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 10:37 pm
I don’t have one but my friend does, and her ice cream tastes absolutely better than anything store bought. The consistency will depend on the type of recipe you use but you definitely can get the ice cream store scoop effect if that’s what you’re going for.

crust

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 10:39 pm
thepickled wrote:
I don’t have one but my friend does, and her ice cream tastes absolutely better than anything store bought. The consistency will depend on the type of recipe you use but you definitely can get the ice cream store scoop effect if that’s what you’re going for.

Yes! That's what I would like!

Anybody knows which ice cream maker to get and which recipe to use?

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 10:39 pm
But you need to have lots of ice made to make it?

crust

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 10:45 pm
avrahamama wrote:

Oh I didn't know that!!

sky

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 10:58 pm
I never liked the fact that most recipies call for raw eggs.
Or cream -
I like to eat ice cream and not know that it contains gazillion grams of fat.

Laiya

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:00 pm
avrahamama wrote:

Mine comes with a bowl like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Cuisina.....=8-11

It's double-walled with water in the middle but you store it in the freezer so it's frozen.

Laiya

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:06 pm
sky wrote:
Or cream -

You bring the flame to just hot enough to pasteurize the eggs (supposedly).

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:14 pm
You don’t need ice to make ice cream.

There are essentially two kinds of modern ice cream makers. There are relatively inexpensive ones where you chill the bowl. They make a fairly small amount of ice cream but it’s a good way to see if this is something you would like to make before you commit to a more expensive machine.

There are more sophisticated and expensive machines which A larger quantity and you don’t have to chill tje bowl. If you decide you will make ice cream regularly, they might be worth the cost.

You can make really delicious ice cream as well as healthier ice cream with yogurt if you like. Also you can make wonderful combinations and use delicious fruit for example to make fresh peach buttermilk which is a favorite of mine.

crust

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:15 pm
sky wrote:
Or cream -

You have a point.
How will it be so shiny and creamy without all the preservatives and emulsifiers?

crust

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:18 pm
Amarante wrote:

There are essentially two kinds of modern ice cream makers. There are relatively inexpensive ones where you chill the bowl. They make a fairly small amount of ice cream but it’s a good way to see if this is something you would like to make before you commit to a more expensive machine.

There are more sophisticated and expensive machines which A larger quantity and you don’t have to chill tje bowl. If you decide you will make ice cream regularly, they might be worth the cost.

You can make really delicious ice cream as well as healthier ice cream with yogurt if you like. Also you can make wonderful combinations and use delicious fruit for example to make fresh peach buttermilk which is a favorite of mine.

What do you think of this one?

https://www.googleadservices.c.....w_wcB

And do you mind sharing your recipe for the peach buttermilk?

Last edited by crust on Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

crust

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:19 pm
Laiya wrote:
Mine comes with a bowl like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Cuisina.....=8-11

It's double-walled with water in the middle but you store it in the freezer so it's frozen.

You mind sharing a recipe?

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:22 pm
Amarante wrote:

I'd love to spend a day in your kitchen.

I wonder what you do in real life... I hope you're a food writer. I think it was you talking about your grandmother's kitchen... Food memoirs! Think you can write one?

ETC food writer

Last edited by avrahamama on Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:24 pm
sky wrote:
Or cream -

Mmmm my mom used to whip raw yokes and sugar together and feed it to me. She also used to slather butter and sugar on bread. Those were delicious times.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:47 pm
crust wrote:
Have you ever tried one?

I have tried one, but in the end decided against buying one.
crust wrote:
I wonder what the machine does. Does the ice cream look like store bought ice cream?

The ice-cream machine regularly breaks ice crystalls, while the icecream is freezing, so as to make it smoother... it also make more air go into the icecream.

The machine the ice cream parlours use are a wholly different range than what an average household buys for their kitchen, they have a much bigger capacity and turn much faster, this is what allows the smooth, airy icecream in the parlors...

The result of an ice-cream machine with a cooling function (I.e. one that you do not have to pre-cool) is quite tasty, as long as you eat it fresh. If you need to freeze it in your freezer, to keep it, then it's not worthwhile, because once it went to -15 in freezer, it looses the smoothness.

crust wrote:
Anyone has a recipe?

I use pasteurised eggs (put them 3 minutes in 60°C water, I usually use what is left in the water urn after shabbat)

My standard receipe for chocolate icecream is:
melt 100g chocolate in a bit of milk.
beat 2 eggwhites to snow

whip up 1/4l of whipped cream,
add 50 g sugar
add molten chocolate,
add 2 egg yolks
add snow from eggwhites

Banana icecream would be similar, just add 2 mashed bananas, instead of chocolate.

Works also with other fruit: mashed mango, mashed strawberries, mashed blueberries, mashed raspberries...

This allows to make layered icecakes in different colours. (just wait 1-2 hours between layers)

But beware of pineapple or kiwi when mixing with cream, they have a lot of acidity, so it won't work....

For popsicles I prefer to use a receipe just with whipped cream and fruit or chocolate, because this why it stays a bit stiffer, and that's what you want in a popsicle...

I read that carob seed flour is what keeps icecream smooth, but I never tried it, because I don't know about the kashrut status, or didn't find any kosher...

thriver

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 12:57 am
Check out the cuisinart ice cream maker. Tastes like soft serve and you can make a variety of flavors.
Does not use any eggs in most recipes. Never uses ice.
Just freeze the bowl. Add your mix of ingredients to the frozen bowl. Set in machine. Turn on machine for about 25 minutes and enjoy!

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 10:54 am
crust wrote:
What do you think of this one?

https://www.googleadservices.c.....w_wcB

And do you mind sharing your recipe for the peach buttermilk?

The one you posted is a variant of the cooled in the freezer and they are a good way to start. I think you can get one inexpensively and then decide whether you want to move up and get one that has larger capacity and cools through the machinery

The less expensive Cuisnart models are more of an impulse because they are relatively inexpensive and can be fun especially if you have kids to eat immediately and make up their own personal flavors.

Nor recommending any of these as I haven't researched but Cuisinart is a very reputable appliance. Given the price you should research thoroughly before committing.

https://www.google.com/shoppin.....views

I haven't used one of these at all but they make ice cream maker balls which kids can play with to make ice cream - the kids rolling the balls around replicates the "churning"

https://www.amazon.com/YayLabs.....r=1-6

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 10:59 am
avrahamama wrote:
I'd love to spend a day in your kitchen.

I wonder what you do in real life... I hope you're a food writer. I think it was you talking about your grandmother's kitchen... Food memoirs! Think you can write one?

ETC food writer

You are very sweet - not a professional in any way. I used to be an indifferent cook but became interested in learning how to cook - trying recipes - improving technique when I was home sick for a few weeks and started watching cooking shows like Alton Brown as well as ones that really taught basic knife skills like how to chop an onion.

I do have wonderful memories of being with my Bubbe in her kitchen as we lived in a two family in Brooklyn and my mother was a teacher so my Bubbe was my caretaker for as far back as I can remember. She was a wonderful cook in the traditional Ashkenazi style and I would sit at the kitchen table while she made stuff and she would make little treats for me like a miniature challah.

She was a TERRIBLE teacher because even though she was more than willing to give a recipe nothing had measurements or timing - at best it would be something like 2 glasses of X ingredient. LOL She was equally bad at teaching me knitting as she would do all the tricky parts like casting on etc. and then hand me the needles to just do the straight knot and purl rolls. Smile

crust

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 11:34 am
Thanks Ora and Amarante.
I'll come back if I have more questions or with feedback.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 11:54 am
Do these machines make sorbet and parve ice creams?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics