Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Shaarei arazim- Help please!!

aimhabanim

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 6:47 pm
Trying to figure out if shaarei arazim is the right place for my DS but having a hard time getting information. Please share with me what you know. Specifically what types of boys go there? Thanks!!!

nanny24/7

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 6:51 pm
I don't know. But just a pointer that might help you get morw responses, you can put the location and name of school in your post title. Good luck!

aimhabanim

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 6:52 pm
Thanks!!!

penguin

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 7:05 pm
If you do a search on Shaarei Arazim, it's been discussed here a few times! Do Advanced Search because you want threads where it's in the posts, not just in the title.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 11:28 am
My ds went there for half a year this past year, the first half. The hanhala and the school itself is very yeshivish. I don’t know if all the boys are. They have a very long day, but not sitting and learning all day. The free time they have though is pretty structured too. They are very strict, but at the same time do give a bit of leeway. To me, it seems like the goal of the school is keep the boys focused and structured and that’s the only way to get through to them. For some boys it works, but not all. The dorms are in the Rebbeims basements, each grade separately. The Rebbeim are very nice and try to work with you. Any specific questions, feel free to ask and I’ll see if I can answer you.

One thing I didn’t like was the punishment. There was like one type of punishment, no matter the fraction, detention. My ds might have missed a few minutes of class or even a whole class and he got detention with another kid who was there for fighting. I don’t know of a better system, but that didn’t seem right.

aimhabanim

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 12:09 pm
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer! What type of boys are there? What made you choose this yeshiva? Can I ask why your DS left? Where did he go after? Do you know of any yeshiva similar to this?

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 12:30 pm
aimhabanim wrote:
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer! What type of boys are there? What made you choose this yeshiva? Can I ask why your DS left? Where did he go after? Do you know of any yeshiva similar to this?

I’m not exactly sure what type of boys there are hashkafically, but I think there’s a spectrum. I chose the yeshiva because I heard they help boys who struggle academically and that’s true. I mentioned that they try to get the boys very focused and structured because the boys need it because some of them have other issues besides academics and some don’t have academic issues, just behavior which affects their academics. Due to this, it was too much for my ds. He needed light learning, but also light structure. It was too stifling for him.
The school he went to afterwards is in Brooklyn and no dorm which I needed. I had him board which was not ideal. He’s not continuing in that school either because while the level of learning for him there was perfect, the living arrangements was not and he was not able to make any friends. He had trouble making friends in both schools because that’s him, but he ended up making friends in Shaare Arazim though. He did not in the second because his class in particular, most if not all the boys had a lot of other issues. I plan on sending him to a trade school if we can afford it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics