Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Someone is ringing doorbell at 5 am
Previous  1  2

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 9:51 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
I live in a bldg with 3 other families. My neighbors married son came to visit from far and got in about 6am. He rang my bell bec " it was early and he didn't want to wake his mother".

Ha! Don’t wake thy mother, wake thy neighbor instead!

sweetie2shoes

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 11:13 am
This happened to me a couple years back, someone kept ringing in middle of the night, probably 2-3 am. I was terrified, called police. It was a drunk person who had no idea where he was. Maybe he thought it was his house? Not sure. I never saw him, didn't open the door, just spoke to police on the phone. Police dealt with him & removed him.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 11:22 am
Oysh!

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 11:26 am
Op, I’m sorry you had this scare.. maybe just have the numbers of Shmira or shomrim in your phone should you ever chas vsholom need it though I wish you and all Jewish people to never need it

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 1:58 am
I'm not the type to get scared easily, but if someone is going to wake me up that early, they'd better have a darn good reason!

Do you not have an intercom, or other way of yelling "Who is it?". Maybe it was someone in distress?
You don't need to open the door in order to say "Do you need help? Do you want me to call 911 for you?"

I think it also depends on where you live. If you are in NYC, then I'd think it was a little shady. If you are in a quiet community, then I'd be more concerned about an emergency. I'd still want to find out, one way or another.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 2:58 am
WhatFor wrote:
It's not that uncommon for someone in a multidwelling complex to ring all the doorbells to gain access. Sometimes because they live there and forgot their key, could also be genuinely trying to break in. In any case, this is probably something to take up with with the building residents (maybe leave a sign in the lobby?).

Maybe they were trying to reach a neighbor urgently and hey weren’t responding. Maybe he loved their and forgot the code cuz hey were drunk.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 3:15 am
Early into our marriage we had someone loudly and urgently knocking on the door of our apartment very late at night. I told my husband let’s just ignore it and they’ll go away. Turned out to be the fire department (spoiler alert: they did NOT just go away!) because a neighbor smelled a gas leak and called it in, and they traced it to our apartment.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 3:24 am
After 5 minutes of knocking I’d call shomrim to pass and see the situation.
I’d be absolutely terrified

silverlining3

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 7:12 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Early into our marriage we had someone loudly and urgently knocking on the door of our apartment very late at night. I told my husband let’s just ignore it and they’ll go away. Turned out to be the fire department (spoiler alert: they did NOT just go away!) because a neighbor smelled a gas leak and called it in, and they traced it to our apartment.

Had the same, but but like 2-3am. Though, I saw firetrucks on the street, and the leak was in the building. They knocked into everyone's house to test CM level. But yes, when I woke from the loud banging, my heart started racing like crazy, from fear.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 7:14 am
Seriously I'm a deep sleeper. If someone was knocking on my door or ringing my bell I'd never hear it. LOL

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 7:38 am
Shomrim warns of this every summer.
Burglars ring bells to check who is home so they can plan an eventual break in.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 7:53 am
I was home alone as a girl and someone rang the bell. Repeatedly every 5 minutes it was so annoying cause our bell rings 3 times per ring. I couldnt see the camera clearly and I was freaking out I tried to reach my mother who was not home she had a wedding this was like 1am and she didnt answer. I called my neighbor who looked out but didnt see anything. Neighbor was kind enough to send her husband down to my house turns out someone rang the bell no idea why and it got pushed in so it continued ringing 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

meme6

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 11:45 am
If it happens again call shomrim right away

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 12:43 pm
I once woke up to pounding on my door and someone trying to turn the doorknob. I peeked out, it looked like the person was high on drugs. I called the police but by the time police arrived, he was gone. It happened again the next day and he was gone again by the time the police arrived. The next morning I hear someone turning the doorknob and trying to get in. It was the same guy. I called the police again and they looked at cameras. I asked them to take fingerprints of my doorknob, they said they can't because he hadn't actually broken in.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 12:48 pm
We had frantic ringing and knocking after midnight. It turned out to be a fire in the upstairs apartment. I still freak out if anyone rings my bell after 10.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 1:19 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Repeatedly for about 5-10 min.
We are very cautious ppl and we don’t answer the door unless it’s the mailman or our friends.
We didn’t answer or look out the window. I took my baby to the bedroom and waited until I was sure the person ringing the bell was gone (I didn’t hear it ring for 10 minutes.)

Just wanted to give you all a heads up that someone is out there ringing doorbells and disturbing sleeping people.
Please be careful and stay safe. Hope this person gets apprehended.
So scary.

It could have been someone trying to get buzzed in to rob an apartment.

Or it could have been a neighbor who got locked out.

If this is recurrent, ask the landlord to install Ring.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 4:39 pm
Maybe it was hatzalah trying to get in to one of your neighbors?
I'd be scared to death if someone rang my bell at 5 a.m. but I'd still check if it's an emergency. and if it was a harrasser I'd call police.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries