Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Modest Fashion Brand

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 12:52 am
Would it bother you that a brand by modest orthodox women advertises its clothes and includes some photos of women wearing the clothes in a non-modest way?

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 1:00 am
It bothers me. But tbh 99% of mitpachot in Israel are marketed with loads of hair hanging out, and clothes brands aren't much better.

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 1:26 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
It bothers me. But tbh 99% of mitpachot in Israel are marketed with loads of hair hanging out, and clothes brands aren't much better.

I'm curious about the bolded; I have a 'bangs' fall (not sure if it can be called a fall) to wear with a tichel. It's basically hair to frame my face. It looks very natural (it's a lace front). How can you tell those women aren't wearing one of those?

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 5:24 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
I'm curious about the bolded; I have a 'bangs' fall (not sure if it can be called a fall) to wear with a tichel. It's basically hair to frame my face. It looks very natural (it's a lace front). How can you tell those women aren't wearing one of those?

I assume the models are single for the hair coverings.

weasley

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 5:28 am
I assume the models are happy to leave out most hair.

Personally I dont but the fact that the models wear it like that doesn't impact me at all...

Everyone just gota do what they do and stop worrying so much about everyone else.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 5:28 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:

It's very obvious because you can see that the model's hair is growing out of her head. There isn't much room for error. 'Helen Lemon' springs to mind. https://www.helen-lemon.com/11.....D7%9D As LovesHashem wrote, the models could very well be single. However I personally don't like the message it sends out as it normalizes not wearing a mitpachat correctly. One can fully cover hair and still be beautiful.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 5:30 am
I don't agree with imodest styling in ads but it does't affect my buying habits.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 5:45 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I don't agree with imodest styling in ads but it does't affect my buying habits.

Same. Just makes it harder to visualize how it'd look on me.

What really bothers me are the 'almost tznius' fashions. Like, two more cm and it'd be perfect. That drives me nuts.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 5:45 am
It bothers me when someone advertises that they are a "modest, frum" company, but most of their clothes are skin tight, body-con, and barely reach the knees.

There are plenty of non Jewish brands that have lovely, modest clothes. Coldwater Creek is a favorite. They are expensive, but the quality is good, and I love their sales.

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 5:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would it bother you that a brand by modest orthodox women advertises its clothes and includes some photos of women wearing the clothes in a non-modest way?

It doesn't bother me. People who don't subscribe to the laws of tznius may like the clothes too, and the clothing may be easier to style for advertisements aimed at a broader audience if there are fewer restrictions.

I think people are used to advertisements showing clothing styled weirdly. We ignore the weird styling and just try to focus on the clothing.

For example, I look at this and think, "That's a nice dress; I wonder if it comes in a version with sleeves?" I look past the bizarre makeup.

Or this. The skirt on the left is fun. Not sure what I'd wear it with. Probably wouldn't buy it. The ad itself? The styling and posing is just plain silly. For starters, who wears sandals with socks? On a tennis court?

weasley

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 7:16 am
I'm a little confused by this post heres why -

Every single person has different standards. Every person standard of 'modest clothing' is going to be different.

So if I'm looking at brands that advertise modest dressing I expect to see anything from dresses that reach mid calf and long sleeves, to skirts that reach anywhere close to the knee(give or take some) and 3/4 sleeves (also give or take some) because I know everyone's modest standards mean different.

The only time I'll be surprised at a modest advert if it clearly wasnt like a crop top and truly mini skirt....

Is everyone who's upset at the modest adverts expecting the designers to be on the exact same level as them???

Truly confused.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 7:47 am
weasley wrote:
I'm a little confused by this post heres why -

Every single person has different standards. Every person standard of 'modest clothing' is going to be different.

So if I'm looking at brands that advertise modest dressing I expect to see anything from dresses that reach mid calf and long sleeves, to skirts that reach anywhere close to the knee(give or take some) and 3/4 sleeves (also give or take some) because I know everyone's modest standards mean different.

The only time I'll be surprised at a modest advert if it clearly wasnt like a crop top and truly mini skirt....

Is everyone who's upset at the modest adverts expecting the designers to be on the exact same level as them???

Truly confused.

Not wearing crop tops and mini skirts isn't the Jewish / halachic definition of modest. I understand different standards (eg no stockings) but some things are basic halacha, like covering knees and elbows.

Obviously if we're talking 'modest' in terms of what non Jews consider modest (eg mormon clothing etc) that's another kettle of fish.

imaima

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 7:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It would not bother me per se, since I mostly shop in regular stores anyway, but I would just not see the point. I am interested in seeing how people style their clothes in a tzniyus way. There is ton of information how to wear clothes in a non tzniyus way already.

Tzniyus limitations mean that women are usually forced to look matronly, festive or preppy most of the time, even if it does not suit them. I would love to see clothes that go in varoius style directions but all adhere to tzniyus rules.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 11:11 pm
I bought from this brand in the past to support frum women selling modest clothes. When said modest clothing was recently modeled in an immodest way it was disappointing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics