Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Do you tip at day camp?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you tip counselors and rebbes
Yes, recommended amount (rebbe $60, morah $50, counsellors $40, etc)  
 39%  [ 40 ]
No, I'm already paying a fortune in camp/have multiple kids, can't afford  
 12%  [ 13 ]
No, I don't believe in it  
 5%  [ 6 ]
Yes, $5-$20 depending  
 41%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 101

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 10:18 am
I tip whatever I decide is appropriate and affordable.
I voted the recommended amount but honestly I didn't know there was a set amount.

All rebbeim and madrichim and madrichot etc are getting the exact same $ amount and it is a decent amount becuase BH this year I can afford it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 10:45 am
Thank you for the answers. I will give $5 - $10, with profuse thank yous.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 10:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
"Proper"?

To borrow money to pay? To put one's self and family through crazy stress for a few extra hundred dollars, ok top of the $7000+ already paid for camp? (That was borrowed and begged?) If parents stop tipping, the camps will have to step up.

Help me figure out what to do. Is $5 insulting? $10? Do I have to give adults (nursery morah, 6th and 7th grade rebbe) more? What's the minimum to express gratitude without being an insult? (BH, all well behaved children, no special needs or extra attn needed)

Because if there was no tipping allowed, they'd charge more to pay the difference to the counselors. You would be expected to come up with that amount anyway. You just wouldn't be handing the money to them directly.
Like someone said, if you go to a restaurant or get a haircut or whatever...it's just part of the cost.
You will see, when your kids are old enough to be counselors.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 10:58 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Again, why is it on me when I already paid for camp?

When you go out to eat, do you refuse to leave your server a tip? After all, you already paid for the food; why is it on you to tip the server?

When you get a manicure, or have another service, do you refuse to tip your technician?

Counselor is yet another one of those positions as to which tips are expected. Camps pay the counselors very low wages, with the expectation of tips. In fact, that's one reason counselors are exempt from minimum wage laws.

If camps paid counselors better, the cost would be a lot more than your tip, as they would need to pay payroll taxes on the increased salary.

If you need to stiff someone, make it the rebbe (if your camp has one) who is probably being paid a decent wage already.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:02 am
When I was a teen counselor, some parents tipped with a small gift instead of money. Usually it was something that didn't have a high monetary value, but some of them were particularly thoughtful and showed appreciation. Most teens who work understand that parents can't afford big tips - they themselves are people who work hard for their money compared to others their age. Adults who work at day camp might feel differently, but possibly not.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:06 am
It depends on the camp and the culture if it’s expected and also on how much the camp charges. This year local camp charged double because smaller bunks due to corona so I did not tip as I already maxed out.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:06 am
Some camps do not permit tipping. For those that do, I give the recommended amount, but the numbers are much lower than yours.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:20 am
As the mother of counselors, for many years, as I have told my DDs, the most menchlich children are the ones who's parents tip at the end of the summer.
The entitled bratty children are the ones who's parents don't.
My DD didn't believe me, but after being a counselor e for 3 summers, she sees it too.
The kids who are a pleasure and you feel like you don't need a tip from, always tip. It may be a chocolate bar with a nice note or cash. The one who was the most work and took 110% of your patiences -nary a word of thanks.

The kids make practically nothing and work really hard. Not tipping doesn't teach the camp because the kids will still work. Be a mensch and show the counselors hakarat ha Tov. You can even have your kids make the card. It is chinnuch for your children as well.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:26 am
Coffee, your post made me laugh. Because I work in a wealthy (non Jewish) school where the culture of gift giving is very big, especially in December and end of year. Your observations are pretty spot on. Very Happy

amother
Black

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:30 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
The one who was the most work and took 110% of your patiences -nary a word of thanks.

To be fair, that might be because the parents have their hands full with the kid and can't remember to tip.

trixx

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for the answers. I will give $5 - $10, with profuse thank yous.

A note with chocolate chip cookies is fine too.

amother
Blonde

I always tip. Usually not the recommended amount, its to much.

My boys are in camp and due to Covid the counselors are wearing multiple hats. They also dont have days off. I tipped them the recommended amounts (just about)

My daughter is in day camp. Her counselor first half was so awful. I can tell you stories but I don't want to go off topic. Bh my daughter knows how to speak up, and she did. She went to the head staff. Dh insisted that we tip because they dont make much money otherwise. I didn't agree, but tipped anyways. I done know what the recommended amount is, but usually I tip $15 if there are 2 counselors and $20 if there is 1.

amother
Peach

fleetwood wrote:
My daughter in a Flatbush ny day camp literally makes 50$ a week. She is relying on tips.

I tipped very little when my daughter was a camper. She's a counselor now, so I know all about how much they get paid and how much she values tips. I remind her every time that tips aren't a given and parents pay through the roof for camp already. Low pay is camp's problem, not the parents'.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:37 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
To be fair, that might be because the parents have their hands full with the kid and can't remember to tip.

No, not usually. Those are usually the parents who remember every tiny minute detail of anything their kid ever complained about. They have no problem taking up the majority of a teacher conference slot complaining to me about the latest feud their kid is having with some other neighborhood kid that is not in the class and probably not even the same grade and has nothing to do with their kid's classroom experience or issues. They have very good memories for certain details, lol! And they don't have the excuse of a large family size, in my school. It's a personality type, for sure, very negative, unappreciative, entitled. Thankfully, in the minority.
I can imagine it's not much different than the parents coffee is referring to.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:40 am
I tip, but not always the recommended amount. I tip what I can. The first year my kids went to camp, I bought cheap canvas bags and had my kids decorate them.
I worked in a daycamp as a teen that actually did not encourage tipping. Most parents did not tip. One year I got some really nice thank you notes. One came with hair accessories, one came with a photo album, and one came with home made chocolate chip cookies (I knew the family personally). So if you can't tip, can you get something nice at the $ store or amazing savings that's under $5 --just to show your thanks.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:42 am
trixx wrote:
A note with chocolate chip cookies is fine too.

Please don't.

If we don't know you, chances are they go in the garbage.

Even if not, there are 15 kids per bunk. Each gives 5 cookies. Counselor brings home 75 cookies. Family has 3 kids who are counselors. 225 cookies.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:43 am
I worked in a day camp in Flatbush and in a chassidish camp, years ago and received mostly $5 or $10 from each camper. Only 2 of my campers tipped $20 and 2 or 3 didn't tip at all. I remember being so excited even with the $5 tips because I wasn't expecting anything.
I'm not sure what these ridiculous suggested amounts are but it seems they suggest it for the rich people, I doubt they expect most people to tip those crazy amounts.
Also, if you can't afford it, don't tip and don't feel guilty about it either.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:48 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Please don't.

If we don't know you, chances are they go in the garbage.

Even if not, there are 15 kids per bunk. Each gives 5 cookies. Counselor brings home 75 cookies. Family has 3 kids who are counselors. 225 cookies.

Most families don't have 3 kids who are counselors, and not all kids will give cookies.

realb

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:50 am
I appreciate this thread because I was truly wondering what I will do with the tips. They have extra counselors and it comes out to a lot to tip each one. I will definitely write a nice thank you note with a small tip. I can't afford the suggested amount.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:54 am
Honestly the average teen would likely prefer $5 with a nice note than some cookies.
Personally I wouldn't do homemade treats anyway, you never know, some families are very strict about kashrus and don't eat in homes unless they know them very well.

I have a feeling, most of the naysayers, will change their tune anyway once their kid is the hardworking teen who actually needs the money, because they are saving up for seminary or sleepaway camp for themselves.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics