Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do you tip Walmart delivery?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 5:37 pm
I have Walmart+ and usually have my groceries delivered a couple times a week. I feel like a cheapskate for not tipping a lot (like only $3-4), but come on, it's Walmart!
My son has done deliveries for Instacart and gotten $40+ tips.... Surprised

If you get deliveries from Walmart, do you tip? If yes, how much? Curious how much others tip....

cupcake613

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 5:53 pm
While it is nice to get a $40 dollar tip, that is not standard and I can't imagine anyone is expecting to get it.

I think what you tip is fine and generous of you. A lot of people don't do tipping for delivery drivers.

Edit. I just realized you were specifying about food delivery and not other items? In that case you should probably try to tip if you can although it doesn't need to be a lot and it's only if you have the extra money.

Last edited by cupcake613 on Thu, Jul 20 2023, 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 5:56 pm
I usually tip $8-10 through the app. I take into account the mileage to calculate that. I also live on a street with easy parking and the driver has a flat 20-25ft walk to place my order on the front steps. I might tip more if it were more effort to fulfill the delivery.

bbhem5

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 6:14 pm
I do the suggested 10-15% that comes up automatically, which may be only $5, more if they shlep water bottles.

amother
Glitter

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 6:27 pm
So you’re paying an annual fee for Walmart plus, then tipping the delivery guy every time.

Pro tip: if you can plan ahead enough to be able to wait two days for your toilet paper, and buy in bulk to fulfill $35 per order (by the way those two things go hand in hand), you can avoid all this.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 6:47 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
So you’re paying an annual fee for Walmart plus, then tipping the delivery guy every time.

Pro tip: if you can plan ahead enough to be able to wait two days for your toilet paper, and buy in bulk to fulfill $35 per order (by the way those two things go hand in hand), you can avoid all this.

Um... how?

ETA - I mean that not everything can be shipped and will only be delivered and you need wal mart membership for that. Like first example - I order eggs, vegetables, fruit... I cant get those without wal mart membership. And I would need to tip.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 8:14 pm
OP here. Seems like most people tip something.

I don't have a problem getting to the $35 minimum for Walmart+ delivery to be free. Under $35, I think there's a fee of $5.99. Without Walmart+ membership, there's always a fee of at least $7.95.

Just like Amazon Prime and cleaning help, you're paying for the convenience. Sometimes for efficiency and sanity's sake, it's worth it.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 8:24 pm
I use instacart and shipt etc many times a month. It’s always expected to tip on these delivery platforms, that’s really where the shoppers make most of their money from. Especially because they are the shopping the items themselves and not just driving around.

I wouldn’t say I’m a great topper, usually 10% but never more than $10. I do more if the person was attentive and picked good items (think fruit and expiration dates) for me or asked me my preferences when things were out of stock. I’ll tip less if my experience is not good, obviously. Like recently I ordered cookies, and the shopper replaced it with cans of tuna. Kid you not. And she didn’t even give me the tuna, it wasn’t in the bag! I left zero tip in that case

amother
Glitter

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 8:27 pm
amother OP wrote:

I don't have a problem getting to the $35 minimum for Walmart+ delivery to be free. Under $35, I think there's a fee of $5.99. Without Walmart+ membership, there's always a fee of at least $7.95.

Just to clarify. Over $35 there is no fee for shipping, without Walmart+

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 8:31 pm
I did tip at least a small amount. Then our finances tanked. It's buying the kids a bag of apples or tipping the delivery person. I choose the apples.

(The USPS, Fedex and Amazon drivers, who shlep equally or more heavy packages to my porch, don't get tipped. And the Walmart delivery driver is not picking out my groceries, just driving them to my house. And they do get paid for this. Admittedly not that much, but it is a paying job.)

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 8:33 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
I did tip at least a small amount. Then our finances tanked. It's buying the kids a bag of apples or tipping the delivery person. I choose the apples.

(The USPS, Fedex and Amazon drivers, who shlep equally or more heavy packages to my porch, don't get tipped. And the Walmart delivery driver is not picking out my groceries, just driving them to my house. And they do get paid for this. Admittedly not that much, but it is a paying job.)

I’m pretty sure the Walmart delivery person is also doing the grocery shopping as well. Who do you think is shopping the order for you?

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 8:36 pm
amother Glitter wrote:

For shipping. Not for delivery of items such as apples which cannot be shipped.

I usually fill up my order with avocados, cantaloupe, apples, grapes, celery, carrots... and water bottles, soda... none of these items can be shipped. Q1

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 8:37 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:

I do think they are picking out your groceries.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 8:38 pm
amother Glitter wrote:

There's a difference between shipping and delivery. Delivery comes within a few hours, and that you have to pay for.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 8:39 pm
No they're not . Often when delivery is delayed and I call the tell me the order is picked just waiting to find a driver.
At high volume it wouldn't be efficient to have drivers be pickers.

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 8:40 pm
amother Olive wrote:
I do think they are picking out your groceries.

No, there are workers in Walmart that do that. And they offer pickup for free, no Walmart+ subscription needed.

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 9:18 pm
An additional point: Walmart allows paying with SNAP benefits even for delivery. And when you do, they do not offer tipping, even when you will need to pay for the non-food part of your order with a credit card. (At least that was my experience when we had SNAP a few years ago.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jul 21 2023, 5:03 am
They do have tipping now if any part of the order has a credit card payment.

srbmom

Post Fri, Jul 21 2023, 5:09 am
I always tip but never a lot, usually $2-3 per order.
If I have something very heavy like water bottles then I'll add another dollar. The driver just pulls up my driveway and walks a few steps to put everything next to the side door. No major schlepping at all

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 3:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have Walmart+ and usually have my groceries delivered a couple times a week. I feel like a cheapskate for not tipping a lot (like only $3-4), but come on, it's Walmart!
My son has done deliveries for Instacart and gotten $40+ tips.... Surprised

If you get deliveries from Walmart, do you tip? If yes, how much? Curious how much others tip....

Walmart or not Walmart - someone's labor is someone's labor - it's worth the same as if they're delivering from Walmart, Target, or Bloomingdale's. If you're saving money buying from Walmart, all the more so, use those savings to tip your shopper or delivery person appropriately.

For grocery shopping/delivery, I always tip 20%, or $10 minimum for a smaller order. If I order heavy items like bottled water or multiple 12-packs of soda, I tip more on top of that, and if the store is further away mileage wise. $3 is a cheapskate tip. If you're ordering a couple times a week, try to order less frequently but tip more perhaps. Anything less than $5 for a small order is a chilul hashem.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics