Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Would you let your son go to YU this smester?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 4:34 pm
He has been waiting to go to school. They are starting online and then after YT in person.
My concerns:
1. crime rate
2. will it be worth the hefty price tag with so much changed during covid?

other options this late in the game if we decide to defer...
what would you do?

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 4:44 pm
If your kid is old enough to go to college he is old enough to make the choice. What does he want?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 4:47 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
If your kid is old enough to go to college he is old enough to make the choice. What does he want?
Seriously? What 18 year old wanting to go to YU would make a practical and correct choice here? Im not saying going is right or wrong, but no, an 18 year old, after high school is not always old enough or mature enough to decide such things.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 5:10 pm
Would he be dorming or commuting? Is he an incoming freshman?

I'm not up to the college stage yet, but I have cousins who have kids in both YU and Stern. The son who is graduating in January is planning on doing all his classes online. The incoming freshman is planning on going in person to have a better experience and meet new friends and have a proper beit midrash for learning. The dorms have been converted to 1 person rooms for health safety so there won't be a roommate experience but many boys are happy to have their own space and it's much safer to form than to take public transportation every day.

Stern is decreasing the number of girls per room/suite from 5 to 3, so there's still a Covid-19 risk in the dorms. My cousin wanted to keep her daughter home for the first semester to see how things go, but the school said they couldn't guarantee that there would be dorm space for the spring because of the space shortage.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 5:12 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Seriously? What 18 year old wanting to go to YU would make a practical and correct choice here? Im not saying going is right or wrong, but no, an 18 year old, after high school is not always old enough or mature enough to decide such things.

An 18 year old in many circles is getting married choosing where to live. If we can trust them as an adult they for sure should have a say . Obviously mom could decide if she is paying or not.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 5:20 pm
Several colleges that have opened already have since shut down and moved to remote b/c of covid clusters in their student body. UNC Chapel Hill did so earlier this week I believe. I'd expect this to continue and would rather not deal with the hassle of moving in and moving out a few weeks later.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 5:22 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
An 18 year old in many circles is getting married choosing where to live. If we can trust them as an adult they for sure should have a say . Obviously mom could decide if she is paying or not.

An 18 year old boy who is getting married is not in the same circle as an 18 year old boy going to YU. And not everyone thinks 18 year old boys (or girls for that matter, but right now we are discussing boys) should be getting married. Many boys in those circles are actually NOT making choices. Their parents choose the girl and they meet a few times, their parents chooses an apartment....

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 5:31 pm
Crime rate? Did you hear of worsening crime rates in Washington Heights? I work here an send my child to school here and haven't heard this. Plus campus security is very tight.

cnc

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 5:41 pm
Why would you think crime rate there has increased?
Also, FWIU students have the option of joining classes via Zoom if they’re uncomfortable attending live classes.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 5:53 pm
What's plan B?

I am sending to YU. He was supposed to go to Israel, but has decided to put that off because of Covid . He will be attending on campus but not dorming.

Is ds registered? If so, have you checked how many/which of his classes are remote, hybrid or on campus? The balance makes a big difference depending on what you're looking for. And what the alternative is can make a difference too.

trixx

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 6:33 pm
Your title says "let" but it's not in your post.
Would I let, yes.
Security is very tight.
Would I want to pay if form and student life is suspended, probably not. If there's a cheaper online option and then he can join regularly, I might do that, but also, just being in class in person can't compare to online.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:09 pm
I am sending a freshman this fall. I am letting him dorm after the chagim. Campus security should be same as usual. The surrounding area is always a not so great neighborhood. I just dont want him going all around the city as of yet on public transportation because of the current trends. We will see how things unfold. So only on campus & with the schools van if he goes somewhere.

He really wants a social life & dorming experience even if most classes end up on zoom. He hated zoom last year and any social improvment is a plus. I hear the gym will probably be open. Bet medrash will have shiur in person options as well as minyanim. If they have to shut the dorm, I assume they will refund or roll over just like last year. And mainly, he cannot be home doing nothing. Make the best of it is how I am thinking, just like we made the best of hs graduation.

I was of the same mindset as your post but this is the conclusion we came to.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:16 pm
gym's are still closed in ny

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:19 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:

Opening this week. Aug 24.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He has been waiting to go to school. They are starting online and then after YT in person.
My concerns:
1. crime rate
2. will it be worth the hefty price tag with so much changed during covid?

other options this late in the game if we decide to defer...
what would you do?

I wouldn’t let my kid go there even without those issues.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:21 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
I wouldn’t let my kid go there even without those issues.

Seriously, off topic.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:25 pm
Are you more concerned about crime than you were when you applied?

trixx

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:46 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:

This has nothing to do with either university or safety.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 3:28 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Yes, definitely he should have a say. You wrote, above, that he should make the decision. And the young men who are going to YU at 18 ate NOT the same ones that are getting married at 18. Different worlds.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 3:29 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
An 18 year old boy who is getting married is not in the same circle as an 18 year old boy going to YU. And not everyone thinks 18 year old boys (or girls for that matter, but right now we are discussing boys) should be getting married. Many boys in those circles are actually NOT making choices. Their parents choose the girl and they meet a few times, their parents chooses an apartment....
I didnt see your reply when I replied to this as well.
Not surprised that we have similar answers Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics