Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Would you let your son go to YU this smester?
Previous  1  2

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 3:31 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
I wouldn’t let my kid go there even without those issues.
And you posted this why???????

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 6:07 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Yes, definitely he should have a say. You wrote, above, that he should make the decision. And the young men who are going to YU at 18 ate NOT the same ones that are getting married at 18. Different worlds.

Even if we are in different circles, lets say an 18 year old is not getting married but is going to the army and then traveling around the world. I do believe an 18 year old is capable of being as independent as his parents allow him to be.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:59 pm
Will he commute on the subway? I have a similar commute (I'm coming from BKLYN). It's not always a picnic with the loonies on the train I have to admit. With boys it's obvious they are Jewish, one of my sons ( a bit older than yours) rides the trains a lot, and has faced a lot of harassment. I think that is and will get worse for a while before it gets better, given the whole climate and issues facing NYC now. I have coworkers in Harlem (not WH I know) and they are experiencing shootings.

If it were my child I would hold off for this semester/year and go to a local community college for some credits for now, and go to YU later and gage the situation then.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:40 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:

If it were my child I would hold off for this semester/year and go to a local community college for some credits for now, and go to YU later and gage the situation then.

What about the learning?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:50 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Will he commute on the subway? I have a similar commute (I'm coming from BKLYN). It's not always a picnic with the loonies on the train I have to admit. With boys it's obvious they are Jewish, one of my sons ( a bit older than yours) rides the trains a lot, and has faced a lot of harassment. I think that is and will get worse for a while before it gets better, given the whole climate and issues facing NYC now. I have coworkers in Harlem (not WH I know) and they are experiencing shootings.

Once someone has been accepted to a school and received a financial aid package it is often contingent on not taking a gap year somewhere else and receiving college credit from there. To go to community college now would mean essentially unenrolling and starting the whole process again next year. Assuming of course that yu would accept those community credits.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics