Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Arriving to a place and discover that its not for u

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 11:46 am
I was looking for a getaway with my kids for a few days since They are off from school now for a while, I'm pregnant and really dont have the strength to occupy them or be busy with cleaning trhoughot the day .

I did find a place that still had availability, since other places were fully booked up . So I grabbed atleast the one available.

Once I had settled into the hotel, I really did not find the place to be my crowed . Usually when I went, their was diversity of people , versus here is really one type . All look to come from the same city . My kids are running around and couldn't care less, while I dont find even 1 person I can exchange a word . What would u do in this case ? I'm not here for long tho. But had I known before, I would have made other plans.

Did this ever happen to anyone? I'm resenting to myself for going to a place where I dont feel my place . Well, nothing wrong about the people around , they all seem nice just so so different then my style, culture, ect. I guess I will just take it as a rest up and relaxation time for myself .

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 11:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I guess I will just take it as a rest up and relaxation time for myself .
Good idea! Rest up and come home refreshed!

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 11:50 am
If it's not a pritzus place or somewhere you feel uncomfortable Yiddishkeit wise, and your kids are enjoying it, I'd stay put.
I've had afew times that the places we went to was not what I'd imagined, the only time we left was from a place where there was terrible pritzus and taarivus (by frum jews) going on. We couldn't stay. We found a different hotel in the area.

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 11:51 am
You are not there to meet new friends, you are there to have a good time with the kids. So why not just do that?

LittleMissMama

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 12:08 pm
Unless it's a jewish/kosher getaway or a shabbaton, most people don't expect to socialize on vacation. You're there to relax and have fun, not meet new people.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 12:10 pm
I would either use this as an opportunity to just have some quiet time while the kids are entertained, or to force myself to socialize with people I'm not normally exposed to.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 12:32 pm
watergirl wrote:
You are not there to meet new friends, you are there to have a good time with the kids. So why not just do that?

This.
I must live in a very different world. I’ve never been on a vacation in my life (I’m upper 40’s) where the idea of meeting people to shmooze with was even on my radar. My trips are either family trips, where I spend all my time with my family, romantic get-aways (rare), where DH and I focus on each other away from kids, or relaxation trips where I just run away from home for a night or two (more rare) and sleep, read, get a massage, and ignore everyone and everything.

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 12:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was looking for a getaway with my kids for a few days since They are off from school now for a while, I'm pregnant and really dont have the strength to occupy them or be busy with cleaning trhoughot the day .

I did find a place that still had availability, since other places were fully booked up . So I grabbed atleast the one available.

Once I had settled into the hotel, I really did not find the place to be my crowed . Usually when I went, their was diversity of people , versus here is really one type . All look to come from the same city . My kids are running around and couldn't care less, while I dont find even 1 person I can exchange a word . What would u do in this case ? I'm not here for long tho. But had I known before, I would have made other plans.

Did this ever happen to anyone? I'm resenting to myself for going to a place where I dont feel my place . Well, nothing wrong about the people around , they all seem nice just so so different then my style, culture, ect. I guess I will just take it as a rest up and relaxation time for myself .

I guess I don't understand why you cant talk to the people there if you wanted to. Are they all shmoozing with each other? Are you in a bungalow type place and chit-chat is the point? You said you are in a hotel, but maybe its a community type setting where the moms all sit around and make friends? What is stopping you in that case from talking to anyone? Because they dress differently than you do?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 12:43 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
This.
I must live in a very different world. I’ve never been on a vacation in my life (I’m upper 40’s) where the idea of meeting people to shmooze with was even on my radar. My trips are either family trips, where I spend all my time with my family, romantic get-aways (rare), where DH and I focus on each other away from kids, or relaxation trips where I just run away from home for a night or two (more rare) and sleep, read, get a massage, and ignore everyone and everything.

Maybe she went to a bungalow colony and not to a vacation/hotel type of place. In a bungalow colony you socialize with others.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 12:46 pm
I’d make the best of it. You’re there anyways already. Enjoy it.

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 12:59 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Maybe she went to a bungalow colony and not to a vacation/hotel type of place. In a bungalow colony you socialize with others.

She literally said hotel in her OP.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 1:04 pm
watergirl wrote:
She literally said hotel in her OP.

Oh, sorry I missed that!
I don't go to a hotel expecting to socialize.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 1:16 pm
Are you in like a kosher hotel with 3 meals a day like in the Catskills?

Simple1

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 1:23 pm
Yes. I've done that before so I know the feeling. Not sure what you mean by socializing - that can be difficult with new people even if they're your community type. OTOH, we've occasionally had people not of our own type just walk right up and schmooze away.

Either way, just enjoy your family time together and change of scenery!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 2:35 pm
I'm glad your kids are enjoying themselves and I hope you get some pampering time or treat for yourself when you get home.
I'm trying to remember where I just heard this...someone was in dental school and realized his second year that he didn't have the fine motor skills necessary so how to move to something else, I don't remember what. I'm imagining myself being in your position, and how that story would be helpful for me; it could have been worse.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 3:36 pm
If you went to socialize why wouldn’t you make sure you have friends going?

And of your there for a nice retreat why do you need friends there?

DVOM

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 4:15 pm
I found your post to be a bit confusing.

I never expect to socialize with other adults on a family vacation.

I have left a venue just once, when I was uncomfortable with the dress (undress?) and topics of conversation (s--x) being discussed in public, in mixed groups. Just not my speed.

If the people seem nice, even if they're not from your community, perhaps this is a chance to make some interesting acquaintances? We go camping every summer and often end up with strangers at our campfire eating leftover shishkabobs and smores. These folks are generally not 'our type;' usually not Jewish, often geriatric. We've had some very eye opening and stimulating conversations with them though, and those evenings are some of our most memorable. Who knows who you might meet!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 4:43 pm
Thanks! Nice hearing everyone's thoughts on this. I definitely did not mean as to write out that it's the end of the world . It isnt. I did come basically to give the kids a good time and we are having a very pleasant time. tho, company wouldn't hurt but I'm really fine . I'm getting my work done from here and getting to accomplish things I normally dont get to do otherwise. It was just surprising for me that it wasn't such a mixed kind of ... but totally fine . Seems like I needed to warm up and get used to it. I dont do well with new places , but am glad kids are loving it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics