Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Polygamy min haTorah
1  2  3  4  5  Next

roza

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 10:09 pm
כִּי-תִהְיֶיןָ לְאִישׁ שְׁתֵּי נָשִׁים, הָאַחַת אֲהוּבָה וְהָאַחַת שְׂנוּאָה
(דברים פרק כא טו

"If a man have two wives, the one beloved, and the other hated.."

so min haTorah a man can have 2 wives. and it's man's nature to have more then one wife. oy gevalt.

lucky

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 10:58 pm
actually I've always wondered why a woman would want to be a second wife?? I don't think I'd ever get the reasoning behind it.

stem

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 11:11 pm
I believe it was for financial security.

Tefila

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 11:22 pm
Interesting this came up in the Jewish Press w/h Rabbonim 2 of them endorsing it wish I rememberd who they were Scratching Head b/c they said prostitution was becoming the answer for some of these morons Exploding anger so this was the lesser of the two evils Exclamation It was Years ago maybe 10 Exclamation I'll never forget the who ha surrounding this. Well ofcourse it didn't take off I mean how many of us would stand for it plus it's illegal here Wink

Mommy912

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 11:27 pm
I always wondered if this was something that really was common or just used in certain extreme circumstances. The only times that I remember it happening in the Torah is when the wife couldn't have children ie.. Sarah and Hagar.
This concept probably helped with the 'Shidduch Problem'. No more excuses to be 'picky' - just hop along someone elses marriage Smile

roza

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 11:42 pm
well, must have been common if Rabeinu Gershom was on our side in this.

technic

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 3:43 am
del

Last edited by technic on Wed, Dec 28 2005, 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

JEWISHMAMA

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 4:10 am
My husband can have another wife but only with my permission, which I´ll never give, but he says he couldn´t cope with another wife!

Ima-to-angels

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 7:19 am
Ok, this isn't as "out of date" as you may think and as far as I know, some Jews of Sephardi origin still practice it in their country of origin. I know that my MIL's father was married to two women at the same time and to the best of my knowledge his first wife encouraged him to take a second becuase she seemed to be only having girls. She then had boys...
He was a wealthy man and could afford 2 wives and they seemed to live together ok. MIL's mother (original wife) died quite young, wife #2 died recently at the age of 95...

technic

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 7:39 am
del

Last edited by technic on Wed, Dec 28 2005, 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total

queen

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 8:58 am
poor husband..... could you imagine dealing with more than one mil???????

Crayon210

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 10:16 am
I think that polygamy was only practiced by wealthier men (I.e., kings) or those without children.

miriam

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 10:18 am
The reason it was practiced back then is b/c it was dangerous times and men went to war a lot. There were thieves and bandits. You know the inevitable result of all that. There simply weren't enough men for each women. So rather than stay single, women would become second wives.

The reason the Torah writes one beloved and one hated, is b/c the Torah is trying to send a subtle message. But it was allowed b/c there weren't any other options for the unmarried women.

As usual, something thats considered negative for women was actually for their benefit. The reason it's frowned on today is mainly b/c the reason doesn't exist. There are enough men to go around.

proudmom

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 10:22 am
There is a place in the states that each man has at least 2 wives. The men take girls (age 15 and up) to marry and just have kids. The women think it is normal because that is how they grow up with lots of mothers. there was one guy that had close to 100 children because of this. the govenor of this city said there isnt anything wrong with it. It is normal.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 10:39 am
I saw a reality tv show on that it was a cult somewhere in the denver CO area.
definitely not a normal situation. and the kids werent allowed to run away to have a better life elsewhere.

amother b/c I dont want you knowing I watch tv!

Pearl

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 10:41 am
amother wrote:
definitely not a normal situation. and the kids werent allowed to run away to have a better life elsewhere.

now THAT'S a nice topic!

proudmom

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 10:58 am
amother wrote:

the post that I wrote is the same thing. I just didnt know where it was exactly.

Mommy912

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 1:21 pm
There is a group in Israel (Dimona) which practice polygamy.
Black Hebrews
Whitney Houston is involved with them.
They are subsidized by both the Israeli and US governments!

nicole81

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 1:29 pm
it's not legal at all in the US, but some members of the mormon church (based in utah) practice polygamy.

sarahd

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 1:33 pm
I think that's what you're referring to, proudmom, Mormons.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions