Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do your kids have passports?
1  2  3  Next

Do your kids have passports?
yes  
 69%  [ 92 ]
no  
 30%  [ 40 ]
Total Votes : 132

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 10:10 pm
If yes or no, please explain your reasoning.
I have two very young kids and don't plan on flying internationally in the next few years. I would do it if it was no big deal, but financially I'm hesitating since the approximately $300 it would cost would be sorely missed at this point in time. If it's necessary, I would do it, but financially it would be a pinch.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 10:12 pm
What should I choose for “No but thanks for reminding me, I’ve been meaning to do so for a while now”

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 10:13 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
What should I choose for “No but thanks for reminding me, I’ve been meaning to do so for a while now”

+1

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 10:16 pm
We just did for all the kids this week. My youngest 2 have never had, my older were all expired. Ideally I believe a jew should have a current passport, but We put it off because of finances for several years. We felt we could swing it now without feeling the pinch too much. It was a big chunk of money but it's something we felt was proper hishtadlus to do if we can.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 10:25 pm
Yes, except for one kid whose passport expired during the shutdown. I've been meaning to renew it but I'm not sure about taking him for passport pictures now where he'd obviously have to remove his mask.

We're in the US and have relatives in Canada so we get passports for the kids as soon as we get their birth certificates.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 10:26 pm
Yes my 5 year old is on her 2nd. BH she’s a well travelled child.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 10:41 pm
[quote="amother [ Pearl ]"]Yes, except for one kid whose passport expired during the shutdown. I've been meaning to renew it but I'm not sure about taking him for passport pictures now where he'd obviously have to remove his mask.

We're in the US and have relatives in Canada so we get passports for the kids as soon as we get their birth certificates.[/quot

It would only be for a few minutes. Sounds a bit much not to take pics for that reason. But I remember there being a passport pic app that you can use from your phone and order pics to be sent.

All my kids have their passports. Did that in January when I thought maybe we don't belong in America anymore.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 10:58 pm
None of my 4 kids had current passports as of a few months ago. I got flak from some relatives on a regular basis but they weren't offering to cover the $600 in fees. I could not justify spending it. It's not like we could afford to travel anywhere.

We applied for passports for my eldest daughters back in January because they were supposed to go to Israel over Pesach to help my sister who had a baby then. (Someone else paid for the tickets) of course that was cancelled and now we're out the $300 Can't Believe It

For all those who say "Jews should always have passports" sorry but that's in the old world. When the document meant you could run and hide. In today's world with "Do not fly" lists etc... thr passport is a worthless piece of paper if they want to keep you from leaving or getting in. And that was BEFORE the pandemic. How are your passports helping you now? Getting any travel in? LOL

amother
Green

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 12:22 am
My Husbands Canadian and American passport are expired. Myself and 1 out of 3 kids have a passport (traveled to London once with the 1, needed passport).
We wanna make for the other 2 kids and renew. But since corona happened, nothing doing. Hoping to get it done sooner than later.

We feel it's always good to have, emergencies can pop up at any time.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 12:27 am
Yes. One of the first things I did after each kid was born was get them passports. Both my parents are the children of 2 Holocaust survivors. They very much drilled into my head that a Jew must always have a passport and be ready to leave in a moments notice. I keep on top of everyone's passport and renew them way ahead to never have any issue.

miami85

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 12:48 am
We don't have valid passports at the moment, I wish they weren't so expensive. My husband could renew by mail, but I got one at 15 so I would have to do it all over again. I wish I could justify it for my family without an international trip coming up it feels like a waste of money but I understand the importance of having it right now.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 12:58 am
Thank you for the reminder!! I will be making appointments for next week.

rivkam

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 12:58 am
Yes especially because alot of my family dont live in Israel. I always want to be able to travel at a moments notice if something good or bad happens. Israeli passports are pretty cheap though so it's not an issue financially

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 1:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If yes or no, please explain your reasoning.

Yes.
Reason: We took trips abroad over the past few years (not this year, obviously).

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 1:04 am
I always keep my family passports current.
I wish we had EU or Canadian passports, but alas, non.
US passports aren't as desirable as they once were.

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 1:11 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I always keep my family passports current.
I wish we had EU or Canadian passports, but alas, non.
US passports aren't as desireable as they once were.

Except for travelling into multiple EU countries, US passports are still pretty handy.

I don't see that US became any more problematic, only that, with the agreements between EU countries, a EU passport became more convenient within the EU.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 1:20 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
None of my 4 kids had current passports as of a few months ago. I got flak from some relatives on a regular basis but they weren't offering to cover the $600 in fees. I could not justify spending it. It's not like we could afford to travel anywhere.

We applied for passports for my eldest daughters back in January because they were supposed to go to Israel over Pesach to help my sister who had a baby then. (Someone else paid for the tickets) of course that was cancelled and now we're out the $300 Can't Believe It

For all those who say "Jews should always have passports" sorry but that's in the old world. When the document meant you could run and hide. In today's world with "Do not fly" lists etc... thr passport is a worthless piece of paper if they want to keep you from leaving or getting in. And that was BEFORE the pandemic. How are your passports helping you now? Getting any travel in? LOL

Passports never helped them hide. It was stamped with Jude.
It helped them leave without much notice.
Forged documents may have helped them hide.

amother
White

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 1:26 am
I do. We have family overseas and we went to visit last year. All of them together cost a fortune.

Mayflower

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 3:09 am
We do (EU passports). We usually travel abroad at least once a year so we really need them. But even without travelling, I don't think I'd be comfortable with them not having valid passports.

We make a passport as soon as the child is born, so we never have to make passports for all the kids at the same time. It spreads the costs (although it does mean we have to make multiple trips to the embassy).

Teomima

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 3:43 am
Absolutely. Yes they're expensive and you have to replace kids passports frequently. But I feel freedom of movement and travel is a basic right and since doing so is only possible with a passport, I consider it a vital part of citizenship. Since all my children are dual citizens, they each have two passports. They are eligible for a third through my dh's native country but he hasn't done the paperwork for that.

I would hate to be in a situation where I needed to travel for an emergency and couldn't because I didn't have a valid passport. Same goes for my kids. And if you have immediate family in another country, then definitely.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics