Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Healthier Baked Goods

jewishmom6

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:02 am
Looking for ideas & recipes for healthier baked goods that I can make for succos
- think cakes, cookies or bars.

Thanks!

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:28 am
What is your definition of healthier? Lower fat? Whole wheat flour? Less sugar?

In my opinion, most of the theoretically healthier baked goods aren't that healthy anyway - at least the ones that are served for dessert and aren't whole grain breads.

Again in my opinion, what you eat for dessert on special occasions doesn't matter as much as what you eat every day and for meals. Better to eat something that tastes fabulous in smaller quantities and not as often than eating stuff that isn't really healthier.

I mean is Banana Bread actually healthier than Chocolate Cake because it has a banana or two?

Not being snarky but a lot of what was thought to be healthy baked goods isn't really - sugar is sugar whether it comes in the form of brown or white or even honey - for example.

Obviously there are some desserts that are more decadent than others - cheesecake is generally higher calorie than a slice of Angel Food Cake with fresh strawberries for example. But it is it really that much healthier than a slice of Devil's Food Cake - and which one will really satisfy you?

I think having truly healthy dessert choices like a bowl of wonderful fruit salad and a tray of berries along with some dessert choices that can be eaten in smaller portions is a good way to approach things since it leaves people with the option of how they want to eat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics