Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Bag Ban - again
1  2  3  Next

pause

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:04 pm
It went into effect March 1 and was halted due to a lawsuit. (I thought due to corona, but oh well.) It is starting back up tomorrow.

Can we discuss this INSTEAD of corona for just about half-hour pretty please?

Last edited by pause on Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

yksraya

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:07 pm
K, so now no bags either... I can already see all those spilled groceries on just about every parking lot. I sometimes buy the reusables to avoid such incidents, but then would forget to take them along with me next time, so need to buy new ones again.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:08 pm
Eh. We rehashed it so many times at the beginning of the year. I'm over it. After covid, not a big deal. I'll deal with it.

ohmygosh

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:15 pm
Are they seriously focusing on bags again with all that's going on in the world?

Politicians Banging head

pause

amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Eh. We rehashed it so many times at the beginning of the year. I'm over it. After covid, not a big deal. I'll deal with it.

Sometimes it's the little things that put you over the edge.

amother
Chocolate

The stores will sell you shopping bags

GetReal

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:16 pm
pause wrote:
Sometimes it's the little things that put you over the edge.

Exactly. We have so much to worry about already, why are they adding to it?

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:24 pm
Can we use bags as masks and masks as bags?

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:31 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Can we use bags as masks and masks as bags?

My DS came home one day with a shopping bag, each side hanging over an ear covering his mouth. He'd lost his mask (he went to yeshiva with it), and this was the best he could come up with before running onto the bus. So the answer to the first part of your question is yes, lol.

iyar

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:33 pm
So unsanitary to put fresh produce, meat, chicken, fish, in bags and reuse. What’s the thinking behind this? Are they trying to see if we can culture bigger scarier organisms so we’ll forget the one we’re dealing with now?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:33 pm
Those disposable masks are not so great for the environment either. Not the plastic gloves either... Now littering the streets...

flowerpower

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:38 pm
#priorities.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:44 pm
iyar wrote:
So unsanitary to put fresh produce, meat, chicken, fish, in bags and reuse. What’s the thinking behind this? Are they trying to see if we can culture bigger scarier organisms so we’ll forget the one we’re dealing with now?

You'll need to sanitize your bag after every trip, and quarantine it for 6 days before it's safe to reuse. Can't Believe It

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:48 pm
iyar wrote:

They are still letting the plastic bags on the produce and meat departments. You just can't put those into a larger plastic bag with handles to take home Rolling Eyes

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:48 pm
I thought the bag ban was already in effect. In the general stores (Homegoods, Shop-rite, DSW, Department Stores, they have not had plastic in ages. My butcher and Amazing Saving do, but that doesn't say anything.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 4:18 am
Its not really such a big deal. You just get used to it. Its been this way in Israel for at least 3 years. In the beginning it was very annoying to have to pay for bags. It was 10 agurot for a bag. Those that wanted the plastic bags paid. Those that didnt brought non disposable bags.
Now? 3 years after the law was passed, its not even an issue. It takes time to get used to it, but then it just becomes part of life.

Goldie613

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 4:21 am
I wonder how much the stores will actually follow this. Some chains have been saying "no" to plastic bags for months, others started with the ban and then switched off due to virus concerns. I know of one chain store (which probably means that there are others) that specifically says they do NOT want you to use your own bags due to virus concerns (I guess they don't want to take a chance that you"ll bring germs into their stores).

When this started I basically kept a few shopping bags in my pocketbook so I'd have some with me. I still find this whole thing nuisance-y, but I doubt it will really stick or be enforced now. All a store will have to say is that they are afraid of germs and that will be the end of it (at least for now).

I've seen paper bags in pharmacies (free with prescriptions, 5 cents for other stuff) and Target recently got these cheap reusable bags for a nickel, but most stores charge $1 + if you don't have a bag with you. Or you get really creative and just take it home without enough bags...

nchr

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 4:21 am
I personally like the bag ban and don't see the big deal about it. We don't need so many bags - it's wasteful. I wouldn't want to use reusable bags for the grocery but I order that in boxes anyways so that is moot.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 4:25 am
Is it a ban or does it mean you will have to pay something like 10c per bag?

Here the big supermarkets introduced 5c per little plastic bag, and I think the demand crumbled by 90% vs. free bags... bigger bags are 20c or more, and they have been at this price for decades already...

Goldie613

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 4:40 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Is it a ban or does it mean you will have to pay something like 10c per bag?

Here the big supermarkets introduced 5c per little plastic bag, and I think the demand crumbled by 90% vs. free bags... bigger bags are 20c or more, and they have been at this price for decades already...

It's a ban - no plastic shopping bags except for a few rare categories (I think take out food and maybe one other). The pharmacies will give you paper bags for your medicine, but most stores charge you 5 cents for paper bags (if they have that option - not all stores do) or you can buy a reusable bag for $1 (give or take).

I think if NY would have just had a "pay for it if you need it" option like what you're describing, it would have gone over a lot better.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries