Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Bag Ban - again
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:03 am
ugh cant they ever let up!

disposable is safer in this era of Covid!

Tzippy323

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:00 am
Before things changed last March, I went online and purchased 6 black cloth bags that I put in my car so I would always have them. Then I realized that I frequently had my orders delivered because I am handicapped and it is difficult for me to shlep on my own. So if I order from my grocery online, which I dislike doing as they don’t select carefully, they would have to deliver in boxes. But then I remembered that where I shop they had said that they would be charging for the boxes. When I make my Pesach order I usually fill 12 boxes just with groceries. I am really frustrated with this.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:38 am
I moved to a country a few years ago that already had this in place. I quite like it now. We don't collect wasteful shopping bags anymore.

If you're doing shopping with a car, just keep your reusable bags in the trunk. We also keep a plastic laundry basket type of thing (no holes) in the trunk. In some shopping centers, you can just shop in the cart, and bring the cart to your car. When we bring the cart to the car, we unload the fridge/freezer items into the plastic laundry basket, and the rest goes into our reusable bags. (some keep boxes in their car.)

If you're not using a car, it's just a matter of remembering to bring your bags with you. It can be annoying but you'll get used to it.

fleetwood

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:50 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Its not really such a big deal. You just get used to it. Its been this way in Israel for at least 3 years. In the beginning it was very annoying to have to pay for bags. It was 10 agurot for a bag. Those that wanted the plastic bags paid. Those that didnt brought non disposable bags.
Now? 3 years after the law was passed, its not even an issue. It takes time to get used to it, but then it just becomes part of life.

It's problematic Bec many of us stop off at stores on the walk home from the subway or from work..we don't walk around with our totes all the time for," just in case" shopping.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:03 am
I'm just annoyed that now I'll have to pay for bags to bag diapers. I have 3 in diapers so we don't waste any shopping bags

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:05 am
Right we reuse our plastic shopping bags -- now we need to buy plastic bags to use for tossing diapers, garbage, carrying, and the like?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:14 am
We have a bag ban for a couple of years now, but only the major supermarkets and chinese supermarkets have them. Those places don’t have that you can buy it anymore, only the reusable. What I find is ironic is the straw ban. You can’t get a straw anymore in the kiosco’s, but the tubs of ice-creams from the ice-cream stores are sold in styrofoam containers and it’s hard to find paper hot cups, only styrofoam. Starbucks only have paper straws. What an oxymoron, paper straws that is!! It’s liquid....paper falls apart in liquid. The straws are not as strong as hot paper cups.

Teomima

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:32 am
fleetwood wrote:
It's problematic Bec many of us stop off at stores on the walk home from the subway or from work..we don't walk around with our totes all the time for," just in case" shopping.

So you develop new habits. I keep a handful of netted cotton bags and nylon reusable bags, the kind that fold up super small, in my purse with me at all times. They're small and lightweight but unfold into nice strong roomy bags, perfect for when I happen to be picking up groceries on the way home.

I started doing all this for environmental reasons long before the stores here in Israel stopped giving out bags. It's so not worth spending time worrying about it. You get used to it in no time.

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:47 am
flowerpower wrote:
#priorities.

Exactly.

I don't think the plastic bag ban is a big deal, but covid has led to a huge increase in all sorts of packaging (plastic bags, take-out containers, etc etc etc). Let's let people and businesses do what they can to deal with the pandemic and clamp down once we get things a bit more under control.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:58 am
Time to buy that case of plastic bags.
In rain/snow my boys put their hats into shopping bags, hang it on their handlebars, and bike to school.

Shopping bags are also used for diapers, carsickness, full egg cartons, shoes- anything with potential for a wet, sticky, dirty, smelly mess. Plastic protects.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:59 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
The stores will sell you shopping bags

But why is the thread entitled "bag ban"?

That's so misleading!

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:02 am
In a few Rockland stores I was told not to use my bags because the stores were worried about covid-19. I took the items out in a wagon and transferred to my bags at the car.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:31 am
yksraya wrote:
K, so now no bags either... I can already see all those spilled groceries on just about every parking lot. I sometimes buy the reusables to avoid such incidents, but then would forget to take them along with me next time, so need to buy new ones again.

They are also huge germ carriers, because many people forget to clean them in between shoppings.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:44 am
fleetwood wrote:

Then you’ll change the way you do things or you’ll buy the bag.

Seriously don’t get all the hand wringing anxiety over all this. You’ll be fine. Other states and other countries have been doing this for years now.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:46 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:

It takes a tremendous amount of privilege for that not to be a big deal.

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:00 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:

To be fair, one could argue that it takes a tremendous amount of privilege to just assume you can will be handed a non-recyclable plastic bag free of charge whenever you feel like shopping.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:02 am
No, because the stores want that and the people want that. It is only the interference of a third party that stops it from happening.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:08 am
The ability to complete a transaction that both parties agree to is not privilege, it's basic freedom, and if people don't recognize that, there's a problem.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:14 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:

How much do they charge for a bag?

fleetwood

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:14 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:

Seriously don’t get all the hand wringing anxiety over all this. You’ll be fine. Other states and other countries have been doing this for years now.

There is no buy the bag option in certain stores. I guess I'll just have to figure out a way to store a tote in my pocket all the time.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries