Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Mir vs. Chaim Berlin vs. Cheder
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:26 pm
Can I have the advice of some experienced mothers in these yeshivos?

I am trying to decided where to apply for my son. Our family would be described as yeshivish/heimishe. Both parents are working. Looking for a place with supportive Rabbeim that encourages good middos and provides an excellent hebrew and secular education.

Thank you for your help!

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:28 pm
All yeshivos are similar..

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:31 pm
So how do people decided where to send? I'm finding this decision so overwhelming.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:32 pm
I’m very happy in Mir. Great Rebbeim and other staff and very nice parent body (all types). Secular education is not the greatest but not worse than most Brooklyn yeshivas probably. They are trying to improve.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 12:33 pm
None provide excellent secular education.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 1:04 pm
Educationally similar.

Overlap in parent body.

Where you can pick on to differentiate-

Cheder - most good middos & not "fancy"

Mir - more heimish than others

Chaim Berlin - most yeshivish hashkafa

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 2:10 pm
Sorry, but WADR, the Cheder is definitely the most yeshivish of the 3 (then Mir, then CB), and Mir is the most "simple" of the 3. Don't know enough to comment on middos.

You may also be interested to check how each is handling the current Covid shutdown situation and safety measures, if that's of interest. I know that the Cheder is busing classes to Staten Island at the moment, not sure what the others are doing. Hopefully parents in those schools can comment on what they're doing.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 2:24 pm
I would agree that Mir is the “simplest” and I love it for that. No shtick. They are having classes in different houses for the morning and secular studies classes are over the phone in the afternoon. Before throwing tomatoes, the boys are with the same kids they’re exposed to in school. I can’t say for sure, but they would probably allow a parent to have her son call in for the morning portion if wanted. They are wonderful at working with the parents

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 2:34 pm
In the same boat as op. If anyone has any experience with Torah temima, veretzky and Torah vdaas please comment. Tx

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 3:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I am trying to decided where to apply for my son. Our family would be described as yeshivish/heimishe. Both parents are working. Looking for a place with supportive Rabbeim that encourages good middos and provides an excellent hebrew and secular education.

Thank you for your help!

I’d suggest applying to all 3 and see what happens. Not many get accepted to the Cheder. They think they’re better than everyone else. We (the parents) were treated horribly by the hanhala during our child’s interview, and I’m thinking if those are the middos of the hanhala, imagine how they’re going to teach my child. What a bad taste they left in our mouths. We went on to Chaim Berlin. The boys middos are beautiful, one boy ran down the stairs to open the door for me when I approached it. That tells me something.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 9:50 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
In the same boat as op. If anyone has any experience with Torah temima, veretzky and Torah vdaas please comment. Tx

Probably a better idea to start your own thread

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 9:58 pm
I considered the same three schools for my son and went with Chaim berlin. There is a lot of overlap between all three schools and a huge factor in my decision was that I lived in a very Chaim berlin neighborhood and that’s where most of my neighbors sent.

The cheder is definitely the most yeshivish and exclusive. Mir is definitely the simplest.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 10:11 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I would agree that Mir is the “simplest” and I love it for that. No shtick. They are having classes in different houses for the morning and secular studies classes are over the phone in the afternoon. Before throwing tomatoes, the boys are with the same kids they’re exposed to in school. I can’t say for sure, but they would probably allow a parent to have her son call in for the morning portion if wanted. They are wonderful at working with the parents

My son is in the mir and currently home and doing phone conference in the morning. He was home before the yeshiva closed and the rebbe called him everyday to listen in and be a part of the lesson.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 10:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Thank you for your help!

Do you have any girls in school yet?
What do you mean by heimish? Chassidish background?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Oct 22 2020, 10:18 pm

Veretsky is an amazing school. Very warm and caring. The kids mostly come from heimish backgrounds but not at a yeshivish. Mostly everyone has a tv so if that bothers you it’s probably not for you.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 7:54 am
Thank you everyone for your help!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 7:55 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Do you have any girls in school yet?
What do you mean by heimish? Chassidish background?

I don't have any girls in school. Yes, that's what I mean by heimish. Like learning a little yiddish would be a plus, but not a deal breaker.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 10:52 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Veretsky is an amazing school. Very warm and caring. The kids mostly come from heimish backgrounds but not at a yeshivish. Mostly everyone has a tv so if that bothers you it’s probably not for you.

Really? I thought it was more of a yeshivish and Yiddish speaking crowd

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:42 am
Really? I thought it was more of a yeshivish and Yiddish speaking crowd

They are into yiddish due to their heimish clientele, but it's not as yeshivish a parent body as OP's other options. I'm still surprised to hear that MOST families there have televisions.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:44 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I'm still surprised to hear that MOST families there have televisions.

They don’t have televisions- but that’s not the identifier that it was 15 years ago. What they have, is Netflix and YouTube. Probably filtered, in the majority of the homes. But if you don’t want your kids going to school with kids who watch videos- it’s not for you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries