Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do you get out of bed?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 1:56 pm
When your kids wake up early, do you get out of bed or you stay in bed and listen out for them? Do you tell them to stay out and play? What happens in the morning? I am talking about little kids ages 3 and 4...

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 1:59 pm
After my 2 year old is out of his crib I’ll sometimes stay in bed and let him play and come in and out of my room.

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 1:59 pm
Depends how early. If my kids come knock on my door before 6am I tell them they can lay with me and rest longer. If its more like 6 or 6:30 and I am just not ready to get up yet I will let them have some screen time until I am ready to wake up and get myself going.

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 2:02 pm
I tell my 4 year old to play nicely, while I doze in bed. He usually comes knocking on the door several times, that he wants to eat, or I should give him a certain toy.

jewishmom6

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 2:04 pm
depends how early and depends which kid!
My dd age 3 usually makes me get out of bed.

cbg

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 2:17 pm
I have a friend who has a special traffic light
She has taught her kids
If the light is red they must stay in bed. They can read in bed
If the light is yellow they can play in the room
If the light is green they can come out and wake mommy up

essie14

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 2:44 pm
My 3 yr old wakes me when she wakes up. I don't want her doing anything unsupervised anyway.
If there is no school that day or it's before 6:30, she snuggles with me. Otherwise DH and I get up and we get our day started.

happy chick

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 3:06 pm
cbg wrote:
I have a friend who has a special traffic light
She has taught her kids
If the light is red they must stay in bed. They can read in bed
If the light is yellow they can play in the room
If the light is green they can come out and wake mommy up

That's a very cute idea, but who exactly is the traffic cop? I'm really not looking for any extra jobs right now Laugh

silverlining3

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 3:11 pm
My memory is so foggy. I really can't remember what I actually did, but I think I didn't came out before 7, for the day. My kids are 2 together so they have each others company.
As I'm typing, I'm thinking, I probably came out to give them food and then went back to bed.
Sorry for my unclear answer.

Teomima

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 3:20 pm
My 2 and 4 yo share a room and usually wake up together/wake each other up. The 4yo can be very independent in the morning, going to the bathroom and fixing breakfast for herself and her little sister (we live in a small apartment and I sleep with the bedroom door open so I can always hear them, even if I'm asleep, so no one's in any danger). Usually the 2yo will come wake me up, either to snuggle or if her diaper is dirty. If they wake me from 6 on, I'll get up and get the day started (if they seem to need me. But if they're managing fine and just need the occasional snuggle, I'll stay in bed, half awake, a little longer). Lately they've been waking me even earlier so I pulled out the light I used when my 4yo was 3 and needed to learn not to get up in the middle of the night. It's just a blue night light on a timer that goes on at 6. The idea is to encourage them to stay in their beds, or at least their room and play quietly until then (obviously bathroom and dirty diapers are acceptable reasons to leave). Ideally though they'd let me keep sleeping till 6:30, if not later.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 3:27 pm
My 4 year old sometimes wakes up a little early. She can either play in her room, or get dressed, or come snuggle with mama and papa. I tell her I'm not getting up until it's light outside, and she's welcome to go back to sleep either in my bed or in hers. Sometimes she'll do that, sometimes she's not tired anymore and just wants to color or whatever. Often times it means I have to get out of bed to either tuck her back in, or to set her up with her crayons or whatever.
If I see it happening a few nights in a row then I'll just put her to sleep a little later and see if it helps.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 4:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When your kids wake up early, do you get out of bed or you stay in bed and listen out for them? Do you tell them to stay out and play? What happens in the morning? I am talking about little kids ages 3 and 4...

The one time I stayed in bed my twin 2 year olds started a fire. B"H my husband was there and awake. Not paying any attention to the kids, but at least awake enough to realize what was going on before it got out of hand and real damage was done.

suremom

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 4:46 pm
I prepare special morning toys for one very early riser. Toddler, I get out of bed as soon as he is up. Whoever wakes up needs to quietly leave their room so not to wake others. They can play with quiet toys only in my room.
You'd think that since moving the clock the kids would get up later. Aint happening. Child that used to get up 6 now gets up 5...

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 5:43 pm
suremom wrote:
I prepare special morning toys for one very early riser. Toddler, I get out of bed as soon as he is up. Whoever wakes up needs to quietly leave their room so not to wake others. They can play with quiet toys only in my room.
You'd think that since moving the clock the kids would get up later. Aint happening. Child that used to get up 6 now gets up 5...

When we move the clocks in the fall that’s what happens... they wake up earlier...

Mindys_mommy

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 5:43 pm
I get out of bed whenever the kids wake up which is usually 6:30 sometimes earlier... kids are ages 3 and 1.

Fave

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 5:52 pm
happy chick wrote:
That's a very cute idea, but who exactly is the traffic cop? I'm really not looking for any extra jobs right now Laugh

You preset it with the time the lights should change (similar to an alarm clock)

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 6:46 pm
Fave wrote:
You preset it with the time the lights should change (similar to an alarm clock)

Yes but that’s assuming it’s an obedient child who will listen to the lights.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 10:04 pm
I don't get out of bed until 6 and on weekends I try to push it as close to 7 as I can.
My one year old has the habit of waking up early and I happen to love cuddle time so we have a daily routine where she comes into my bed around 5am and we snuggle until 6. Sometimes she isn't in the mood to sleep so it's basically her jumping on me, rolling around, pulling on my hair, patting my face, etc while I try to half sleep. But we do not get out of bed until 6. haha. I do NOT want it to become habit that we wake earlier!
My 4 year old happens to sleep in past when we wake up usually but once in a while he will wake up early and usually plays quietly until we wake up. He's welcome to help himself to breakfast but he likes to wait until either my husband or I wake up.
It depends on your kids really and how much you trust them to be on their own. Otherwise you can always let them play in their/your room until you are ready to get up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics