Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How far can you trace back
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 12:21 pm
I'm curious how many ppl can say im yeshivish, my parents are yeshivish, grandparents and great grandparents. Same for Chassidish, MO, Sephardi and others.

Me personally parents are Chassidish, grandparents yeshivish/Chassidish. Husband is a mix of yeshivish and Chassidish. Great grandparents from all sides were either MO or not frum. Going back a few generations we have some Sephardi blood.

ETA forgot I have Yekkish blood too from one grandparent

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 12:23 pm
I thought this thread was locked lol

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 12:24 pm
I think this thread is in better taste than the other one.
I can trace back to the Maharal and from there back.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 12:26 pm
(Hi there, OP of the locked thread! Thanks for giving this a more positive spin 😉)

My father is a genealogy buff and can trace branches of our family back to the 1400s.

His mother was a giyores so we can trace ourselves back to the Mayflower on that side.

My husband’s father just stam isn’t Jewish and is part Native American (Choctaw tribe).

My brother in law can trace his ancestry back to Rashi, and therefore back to David HaMelech.

We’re all equally Am Yisrael.

giselle

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 12:28 pm
I’m JPF going all the way back to Avraham Avinu. Direct line.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 12:28 pm
ShishKabob wrote:

I did Teshuvah.

That's really cool!

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 12:31 pm
My mother's father was a Kohen, and my father is a Levi. So I guess my family goes a ways back.

amother
Linen

adam harishon.

amother
Ginger

We are JPF. On one side, we can go back to Rabi Akiva Eiger. On the other, we were likely secular for a very long time, but somehow managed to keep the mesorah of being Kohanim.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 12:34 pm
We are direct descendants of Baal Shem Tov and now are staunch yekkes

Go figure.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 12:34 pm
Belz for 7 generations, basically on all sides.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 12:40 pm
My parents are BT from russia, but became chassidish when they came to NY. But on my dads side we somehow originate from the family of the baal hatanya, not sure exactly how. And on moms side too, a great grandparent was a cousin to the family of the baal hatanya.

Paternal grandfathers family is originally from germany, but Lubavitchers.

Paternal grandmothers family I'm not sure if Lubavithers, or originally more litvish. They definitely had some foods that are not chassidish, nor Russian, but Jewish foods not sure from which kind. Maybe Lubavitch back then had those foods.

Dh's family can trace back to many ravs, including the nodah B'yehuda, and goes all the way back to Rashi, that means it goes back to dovid hamalach.

samantha87

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 1:43 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:

Go figure.

Wow! I want to meet you and discuss family trees Smile

On all sides dh and I can't go back more than 175 years, but none of us have really tried.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 1:50 pm
I am a direct descendent of the GRAs brother on my mother’s side, the family tree goes way back several generations before him, and it states that there was a ktav yuchassin that went back to David Hamelech. I am 3/4 parts Litvak on my mother’s side, and 1/4 lapsed Gur chassid (my great grandfather).
On my father’s side it’s a mix of Eastern European Jews, from Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania, and Ost Yuden German - but they weren’t really frum, so no clear derech - probably just plain frum before they became just plain Jewish.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 1:55 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
My parents are BT from russia, but became chassidish when they came to NY. But on my dads side we somehow originate from the family of the baal hatanya, not sure exactly how. And on moms side too, a great grandparent was a cousin to the family of the baal hatanya.

Paternal grandfathers family is originally from germany, but Lubavitchers.

Paternal grandmothers family I'm not sure if Lubavithers, or originally more litvish. They definitely had some foods that are not chassidish, nor Russian, but Jewish foods not sure from which kind. Maybe Lubavitch back then had those foods.

Dh's family can trace back to many ravs, including the nodah B'yehuda, and goes all the way back to Rashi, that means it goes back to dovid hamalach.

Which foods are you referring to?
Honestly people back then were happy with a potato or an egg.

Wife1

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 1:58 pm
ShishKabob wrote:

So can we😀

Ben achar Ben until me

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 1:58 pm
Traced back over 350 years of Jewish life in England on my fathers side. Probably originally Sephardi, but no sign of that in the family today.

Living in one country for so long means we have been able to identify a lot of different branches of the family tree. Seventh cousins, five times removed kind of thing. As far as we can tell, we are the only branch of the family who is still Jewish. It's rather sad.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 2:04 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:

Go figure.

How did that happen?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 2:08 pm
My father is a descendant of an Indian chief from an Indian tribe that were located in the Canadian region. He wore face paint and a feathered head piece and braids. The real thing.

My mother is a descendant of frum Russian Jews who lived in the same village at the same time as the Chofetz Chaim.

My FIL believes he may be a descendant of Marranos. He was actually born in Spain.

This mix of background resulted in frum children and grandchildren who are heimish/Chasidish/ JPF and MO.

My DH said that when Moshiach comes we will all know our true ancestry and there will be many surprises.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 2:10 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Which foods are you referring to?
Honestly people back then were happy with a potato or an egg.

My grandma used to make eggplant sort of like Spanish eggplant, but no Spanish or sephardi origin. Her chicken soup was a veggie chicken soup (diced veggies, always had tomatoes in them too). Her fish was without gefilte etc. She liked flavorful stuff that is not Hungarian style, and based on the foods on my maternal side, I think it's not Russian style either. But maybe yeah, maybe she's just originally from a different part of russia where those foods where common. Not sure.

My dad also used to remember there being schug at his grandparents, but maybe that was his paternal side, not sure.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics