Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Did a teacher ever label you?

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 3:32 pm
For me it happened tons.

When I was in preschool some teacher said I was mildly [crazy].
In first grade through 4th grade I was labeled “slow”
(I did have learning issues, but later when I learnt all that....imagine how I felt!)
In 6th grade some teacher said I was socially a loner. My grandmother had passed away that year and for some reason I refused to speak unless I had to and I withdrew into myself and I barely socialized or participated so that was the only thing that made sense.
(I guess that’s when I started getting depressed...it lasted till I was 17)

7 and 8th grade I had this teacher who just made school hard for me. Remember I was dealing with some heavy stuff, my grandmother had passed away a year before and we moved places and changed schools...change was hard for me. She made me look at her in the eye when I spoke (I still have a hard time with that...I find eyes intimidating lol) and made me do more presentations to get me out of that silence (she made it worse, to be honest) my mother hates her guts lol. Also that teacher labeled me as having aspergers with learning issues just cuz I was reading up and researching Judaism (my interest started shortly after my grandma died.) intensely.

High school was better, BH.

But I did struggle with the way I thought of myself because of these teachers. It took a long long time and lots of help and encouragement to believe I was capable of anything.

To this day my mother says “I’m proud of you even if you left us to go to New York...somehow you survived and made it through and now you’re married and gave me a grand baby.”

ETA wow I just realized how much I went through in all 24 almost 25 years of my life.

Stars

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 3:34 pm
Yes, but I mostly blocked out my school years, so I don’t remember the details.

(((Hugs)))

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 3:34 pm

Window

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 3:40 pm
I wasn’t the best behaved in class, but when I got to 6th grade, the teacher was absolutely terrifying and I behaved like an angel. I slipped up once, and she went a whole 10 minute rant to the whole class how I’m mischievous and she didn’t believe the other teachers who told her that, now she finally sees for herself..... blah blah blah. Old lady who lost her temper 🤣

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 3:40 pm
Teachers, not that I recall; parents and siblings, yes.

paperflowers

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 3:49 pm
I had teachers who told my parents I was lazy, but they didn’t say it to my face.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 3:50 pm
Wow Sad(

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 4:02 pm
Dh was told in HS by the dean/rabbi of the school that he would amount to nothing.

Dh wasn't the strongest student.

Yet, he taught both of my boys the material they needed for their HS enterance exam. (He spent months learniing it and then teaching it to them) My boys knew it in their sleep and DH was so proud. So much for amounting to nothing.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 4:18 pm
I had a teacher who labeled me as “troubled” and used that as a way to do inappropriate things. But since I was so “troubled,” I caught on quick. Not as quick as I would’ve liked, but quick enough that nothing too extreme happened.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 4:20 pm
I was called an apikorus for my questions on yiddishkeit. B"h I found mentors outside school who strengthened my emuna otherwise I probably wouldn't be frum now

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 4:21 pm
Yes. I was constantly labeled "quiet". Each year I would "give the teacher a chance" and try to offer answers to questions, try to be involved in the conversations and in general participate... but as soon as that label came up- I was done. Lips zipped. End of story.

polished

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 4:26 pm
Oh yes. A teacher told my mother in grocery shop where she randomly met her!!! That I won’t get anywhere in life and I’m lazy. My mother said it made her cry.

In hindsight her lessons were boring, so I spaced out. And I turned out great!!! I got to plenty places in my life Smile

SuperWify

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 4:32 pm
Yes. I was called a liar when I was 8 and got a 1/2 lecture for it in front of my whole class.

bernadette

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 4:34 pm
I think I’m labeled till today since I come from a divorced home.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 5:41 pm
I was labeled by a member of the hanhalah the problem child. He was upset my little sister wasn't going to the same high school I did.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 6:18 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Yes. I was constantly labeled "quiet". Each year I would "give the teacher a chance" and try to offer answers to questions, try to be involved in the conversations and in general participate... but as soon as that label came up- I was done. Lips zipped. End of story.

I'm curious why you perceived "quiet" to be negative.

little neshamala

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 6:20 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Yes. I was called a liar when I was 8 and got a 1/2 lecture for it in front of my whole class.

Oh thats awful

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 6:21 pm
SuperWify wrote:

I was called a cheater and then a liar by a chashuve rebbetzin in seminary. After she falsely accused me and shamed me , she lost all chashivus in my eyes and I never forgave her. It’s been 20 years and it still bothers me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics