Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Monsey high schools
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 6:23 pm
Is there a BY high school in Monsey that is down to earth; a school that doesn't push kollel, teachers don't have head in the clouds-married to guys in kollel or with shtelers and can't give over a balanced approach to yiddishkeit to the girls; a school where the hanhala and the parent body are on the same page.

Please don't use thus thread to bash any school. Only bring up a school that you know fits the criteria, no need to list the ones that don't.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 6:35 pm
YSV fits this description best.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 6:36 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

High schools. I hope no elementary schools are talking about kollel.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 6:36 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

They don’t have a high school but I believe bais yakov of Ramapo don’t push kollel etc.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 6:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
High schools. I hope no elementary schools are talking about kollel.

Oh Sorry.
Bais Yakov or Ramapo High school is the closest option.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is there a BY high school in Monsey that is down to earth; a school that doesn't push kollel, teachers don't have head in the clouds-married to guys in kollel or with shtelers and can't give over a balanced approach to yiddishkeit to the girls; a school where the hanhala and the parent body are on the same page.

Please don't use thus thread to bash any school. Only bring up a school that you know fits the criteria, no need to list the ones that don't.

BY D'Rav Hirsch aka YRSRH aka (but not encouraged) Brueurs of Monsey

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 8:00 pm
Looks like every school.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 8:11 pm
Breuer’s and ramapo are your best options. Not sure about peer and Sheeras Miriam- they’re new - and Bais Yakov Monsey is traditional old school bais yakov, with emphasis on kollel and most teachers married to kollel type guys.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 8:16 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Breuer’s and ramapo are your best options. Not sure about peer and Sheeras Miriam- they’re new - and Bais Yakov Monsey is traditional old school bais yakov, with emphasis on kollel and most teachers married to kollel type guys.

Right.
Bais yakov monsey is typical bais yakov kolel emphasis etc.
Bais yakov of ramampo and BY drav hirsh are more open minded bais yakov-great solid hashkafa, but not necessarily pushing kolel.
Pe'er and shiras miriam havent really defined themselves in real life yet...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 8:23 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Right.
Bais yakov monsey is typical bais yakov kolel emphasis etc.
Bais yakov of ramampo and BY drav hirsh are more open minded bais yakov-great solid hashkafa, but not necessarily pushing kolel.
Pe'er and shiras miriam havent really defined themselves in real life yet...

I think shiras Miriam is the frummest of all. Pe'er not sure. Kollel aside, which high school has rules that align with the families sending there and the Hebrew teachers are teaching them realistic hashkafah.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 8:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think shiras Miriam is the frummest of all. Pe'er not sure. Kollel aside, which high school has rules that align with the families sending there and the Hebrew teachers are teaching them realistic hashkafah.
I identify as jpf/ yeshivish light/ black hat Friday night type. I went to BYM as did most of Monsey lol, and didn’t find the school rules to clash with the families. Most of it is respect and decorum related, not frumkeit. Like shirts tucked in, no sitting on the floor, etc. these rules are in school only. Very few out of school rules (no Florida for midwinter vacation) also, while the teachers were heavy duty hardcore, the hashkafa was definitely realistic. This is probably bec it’s a very text based school, so there was Very little opportunity for “fluff”
My point is you need a different set of criteria here. I think it’s personality dependent, and the more significant difference between the schools are in the type of girl that will excel there.
Unless things changed a lot- most girls and families easily fit into any of the schools.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 9:43 pm
I identify as jpf/ yeshivish light/ black hat Friday night type. I went to BYM as did most of Monsey lol, and didn’t find the school rules to clash with the families. Most of it is respect and decorum related, not frumkeit. Like shirts tucked in, no sitting on the floor, etc. these rules are in school only. Very few out of school rules (no Florida for midwinter vacation) also, while the teachers were heavy duty hardcore, the hashkafa was definitely realistic. This is probably bec it’s a very text based school, so there was Very little opportunity for “fluff”
My point is you need a different set of criteria here. I think it’s personality dependent, and the more significant difference between the schools are in the type of girl that will excel there.
Unless things changed a lot- most girls and families easily fit into any of the schools.

So no big shabatton with the theme being Torah or Tznius? Maybe this is actually good. Very academic actually gives you hashkafah straight from Torah instead of made up.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 10:00 pm
Bais Yaakov of Monsey has veered more to the right in recent years. It used to be more of a "community" Bais Yaakov where everyone went.
Both Bais Yaakov of Ramapo and BYDRH (Breurs) fit what you are looking for.

Shiras Miriam and Pe'er are more right leaning.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 10:22 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Bais Yaakov of Monsey has veered more to the right in recent years. It used to be more of a "community" Bais Yaakov where everyone went.
Both Bais Yaakov of Ramapo and BYDRH (Breurs) fit what you are looking for.

Shiras Miriam and Pe'er are more right leaning.

Its not about right or left. It's about being realistic. Some schools are to the left but they teach hashkafah and kids get all excited about all these utopian ideals and eventually 10 years later they turn cynical. Anyone know what I mean? I'm actually very right leaning myself. I just don't think it means you should live in heaven.

I remember once going to an elementary school interview. More to the left and the principal said very proudly that amongst middos and tznius they stress Torah. And I was thinking, what exactly do you stress?

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 10:47 pm

Maybe it changed a lot since you were there, but Bais Yakov of Monsey does have a lot of out of school rules, such as no going to 7/11 or Yofee cofee, getting a manicure is against halacha,they have vacation rules etc

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 11:40 pm
I went to bais yaakov monsey. My sister's there now. Personally, I did not find that they really pushed kollel. I did not marry someone learning, nor did most of my friends. Bais yaakov of monsey has the biggest mix of girls from all the schools. Lots of my grade was actually not yeshivish. I know lots of girls there now from regular working families. Shiras miriam it's supposedly a very frum school. It is considered more yeshiva than bais yaakov monsey. I know two people who interviewed there and the principal was very not nice to them on the interview.
Peer is the new school in town, it's also very frum.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 12:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So no big shabatton with the theme being Torah or Tznius? Maybe this is actually good. Very academic actually gives you hashkafah straight from Torah instead of made up.
every bais Yakov does something along those lines. BYM probably has a yom iyun (a day dedicated to the topic) and not a shabaton, but if you are looking for a bais Yakov school, Torah and Tzniyus are core values of the system.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 12:19 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Maybe it changed a lot since you were there, but Bais Yakov of Monsey does have a lot of out of school rules, such as no going to 7/11 or Yofee cofee, getting a manicure is against halacha,they have vacation rules etc
I’m very surprised. They don’t really ban things. (Not to say a teacher won’t advise against something) Except Florida midwinter is a big one. Or maybe one teacher spoke negatively about manicures. But against Halacha? There was some sort of blow up my year with someone saying skirts need to be 4” below knees. The next day there were print outs of rav Moshe’s teshuva in Hebrew and English hanging in the hallways, saying that knees must be covered and that’s all. It’s really not a fluffy school. Very hardline, for better/worse.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 2:46 am
BYM has changed a lot recently. Like in the past few years. There was a change in the people who run the school and they are no longer accepting the varied types of girls they were a few years ago. And yes, they added many new rules as well.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 3:22 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:

I don't live in Monsey currently but most of my friends and some of my family lives there, so I do plan on moving there as soon as I have enough money saved up. I've visited numerous times, but maybe I don't get it because I don't live there. Can you explain what exactly is wrong with yofee?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics