Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Should I test my kids before they go back to school?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 8:55 am
I tested positive for covid. I was supposed to back to work tomorrow but still feeling under the weather from covid so will see. The doc told us we should not test the kids.

My daughters school said that she could come back tomorrow. Should I test her just to make sure she is negative?

What about my other kids if they have colds and low appetite can we take them out (to stores) or should we rather test them first?

I am feeling guilty not testing...

Please let me know your thoughts.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 8:55 am
I wouldn't

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 8:57 am
You had covid and your kids have symptoms. Why does anyone think they shouldn't be tested? Yes, you should test them. Otherwise they will very likely pass it right along to someone, and you may have a lot to answer for after 120.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:00 am
How long has it been since you tested positive? Their are some doctors who hold not to bother testing kids if they have symptoms and clear exposure but you are supposed to assume they are positive and quarantine in that case. Never heard of not testing and taking them out.

mha3484

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:02 am
You can test positive for months after recovering so testing positive does not mean your contagious. If you all quarantined for the correct amount of time I would not test my kid unless they had symptoms.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:03 am
mha3484 wrote:
You can test positive for months after recovering so testing positive does not mean your contagious. If you all quarantined for the correct amount of time I would not test my kid unless they had symptoms.

She said her kids have colds and low appetite. Those are symptoms.

chestnut

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:07 am
I don't understand why the Dr said not to test them. Did you all quarantine? This would be the only reason not to test them.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:09 am
chestnut wrote:
I don't understand why the Dr said not to test them. Did you all quarantine? This would be the only reason not to test them.

The point of quarantine is to stay home in case symptoms develop and you're contagious before you detect them. Once you have symptoms you can either continue to stay home and assume you're contagious for another ten days. Or test and find out whether your symptoms are covid or something else.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:12 am
I work in a school
A class was shut down because students tested positive
They had been exposed to family members
If your kids don’t feel well and you don’t test then please DO NOT send them to school.
Just as a btw- there were kids and staff members who tested for strep which also necessitates being out of school

clowny

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:13 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
She said her kids have colds and low appetite. Those are symptoms.

I don’t know how old her kids are, but if it’s younger kids, chances are it’s flu symptoms.
Remember the flu??? It seems to be forgotten.

chestnut

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:18 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
The point of quarantine is to stay home in case symptoms develop and you're contagious before you detect them. Once you have symptoms you can either continue to stay home and assume you're contagious for another ten days. Or test and find out whether your symptoms are covid or something else.

How long should the first quarantine be, to see if you're contagious? Up to 14 days? And then if have symptoms, another 10 days?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:18 am
clowny wrote:
I don’t know how old her kids are, but if it’s younger kids, chances are it’s flu symptoms.

Chances are, they have what their mother has. And most kids with the flu have more severe symptoms, whereas with covid they don't usually.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:21 am
chestnut wrote:
How long should the first quarantine be, to see if you're contagious? Up to 14 days? And then if have symptoms, another 10 days?

Now they're saying it enough to wait 10 days and see if symptoms develop. If so, start counting 10 days from when symptoms develop. Obviously someone still symptomatic should remain at home.

naomi2

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:37 am
Personally, I would not test but I would keep them home until they are no longer symptomatic for whatever they have.

Miri1

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 12:33 pm
clowny wrote:

Where would they catch the flu if they've been quarantined?
Flu incubation is 1-5 days, so it is most likely they have what their mother had.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics