Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School Applications Fun

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:52 pm
So.. ftm and time to register my DC for school.

Here are some questions I would love if you all can help me fill out. Not because I want to lie, but I feel like a lot of the people on this site can put it down on paper better than me.

1. What is your relationship with your family Rav?
It wants his name and number.

We have our shul rav who dh maybe says good shabbos to.

We have a rav dh was close to when he was single but its been years and he last spoke to him over a year ago.

2.What are your views about tv in the home? Its not applicable. Not sure what to write.

3.What are your views about internet in the home?
We have internet. I think its a tool that can be used for good and bad.

What are your views about Children's use of technology and media? Like above I think it can be good and bad, I don't want to limit my childrens use completely. I want to teach them how to use it.

4.if you have Internet in your home, are you willing to meet with a TAG Representative (Technology
Awareness Group) to review what you need to do in order to protect your home from the dangers of internet?
Honestly, no.
Its a question though, so it sounds like an option, but I don't know if its a trick question.

Please don't quote in case I want to delete soon

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:06 pm
Interesting application. What do you think they want to hear? Do you know what the parent body is like?

Do shul Rav. You don't have Rav you ask questions to?

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:30 pm
I see no reason not to meet with a TAG person. They're very real, and will tell you things you might not have thought of. I don't know what the school requires of you, but TAG doesn't make you do anything. I assume you already have or want to have some sort of filtering, based on your views. Keep in mind that "meeting" is likely a phone call, maybe a Zoom.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:25 am
Bump

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:29 am
Is this a school you REALLY want to apply to? With questions like these that you seem uncomfortable with?

I know thats not what you asked.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:50 am
1. Need more info from you. Does the shul rav teach any classes that your DH has attended? Have you two ever asked him a shaila? Probably you should just say "shul rav" and put the info. It might be nice for DH to let him know that you put him on the form, depends on the community whether that makes sense.

2. What do you mean by not applicable? You don't have one? Then say, "We don't have a television in our home."

3. They're probably interested in seeing that you filter internet, especially for kids, or are open to doing so. If neither, and you monitor your kids, you can say if the computer is in a public space (not kids room) where someone checks regularly to be sure they are using it appropriately.

4. I think you should say yes. Nobody can make you do anything, and who knows, you might learn something interesting.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:01 am
watergirl wrote:
Is this a school you REALLY want to apply to? With questions like these that you seem uncomfortable with?

I know thats not what you asked.

I'm not really uncomfortable with the questions.
I just don't know how to answer them.

What makes it seem like I'm uncomfortable?

(I appreciate your input!)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:03 am
imasinger wrote:
1. Need more info from you. Does the shul rav teach any classes that your DH has attended? Have you two ever asked him a shaila? Probably you should just say "shul rav" and put the info. It might be nice for DH to let him know that you put him on the form, depends on the community whether that makes sense.

2. What do you mean by not applicable? You don't have one? Then say, "We don't have a television in our home."

3. They're probably interested in seeing that you filter internet, especially for kids, or are open to doing so. If neither, and you monitor your kids, you can say if the computer is in a public space (not kids room) where someone checks regularly to be sure they are using it appropriately.

4. I think you should say yes. Nobody can make you do anything, and who knows, you might learn something interesting.

.thanks this is helpful

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So.. ftm and time to register my DC for school.

Here are some questions I would love if you all can help me fill out. Not because I want to lie, but I feel like a lot of the people on this site can put it down on paper better than me.

1. What is your relationship with your family Rav?
It wants his name and number.

We have our shul rav who dh maybe says good shabbos to.

We have a rav dh was close to when he was single but its been years and he last spoke to him over a year ago.

Do you have a rabbi to whom you address shailas? One with whom DH learns?

amother [ OP ] wrote:

2.What are your views about tv in the home? Its not applicable. Not sure what to write.

We do not have a television in our home.

amother [ OP ] wrote:
3.What are your views about internet in the home?
We have internet. I think its a tool that can be used for good and bad.

In today's society, I believe that internet in the home is an essential tool, much like a blender or an oven. While it can undoubtedly be used for bad things, the good -- such as communication, shopping, shiurim, and news -- outweighs the bad. It is important to us that care at all times be taken with use.

amother [ OP ] wrote:
What are your views about Children's use of technology and media? Like above I think it can be good and bad, I don't want to limit my childrens use completely. I want to teach them how to use it.

It is inevitable that children will use the internet. We recognize that. We intend to teach them how, and closely monitor use in an age-appropriate manner, so that they will have an understanding of its powers and its dangers.

amother [ OP ] wrote:
4.if you have Internet in your home, are you willing to meet with a TAG Representative (Technology
Awareness Group) to review what you need to do in order to protect your home from the dangers of internet?
Honestly, no.
Its a question though, so it sounds like an option, but I don't know if its a trick question.

We would be willing to consider meeting with a representative of TAG or another organization to discuss how best to meet the goal of ensuring that our children engage in internet use in a safe and age-appropriate manner.

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please don't quote in case I want to delete soon

Sorry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics