Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Share the News?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 8:14 am
My oldest is 8 yrs. She gets really upset when everyone seems to be taking about popular news stories at school and she feels not so informed. They do have age appropriate current events with the basic story but not to the last details like her friends. It sounds like some of them are getting the details overhairing older sibling because they are not 100 percent accurate. I dont want to alarm her with details that don't impact her life in anyway. We also have no newspaper or radio at home. Most of my news is from my smartphone which is not accesable to her and one jewish magazines has a small section of news tidbits. Is telling her, or letting her read the news more nessariy.
Like she knows biden won and trump was not happy with the results is it necessary to fill her in on the details of the capital story now?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 8:22 am
It sounds like she wants to be in the know.
And is coming home with incorrect information.
She's hearing it anyway. Don't you want her to have the details right? To hear it from a Torah perspective/your perspective? This is your chance to empower her.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 8:28 am
I did because it was tragically historic and I wanted my dc to know that Trump is not moshiach, as some of my dc's teachers and classmates seem to think.

Makehumusnotwar

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 8:29 am
Yes, if everyone is talking about it then you have to give her accurate and age appropriate information. Not to scare her, but to educate her, and give her skills to analyze information and news.

rzab

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 8:30 am
ra_mom wrote:
It sounds like she wants to be in the know.
And is coming home with incorrect information.
She's hearing it anyway. Don't you want her to have the details right? To hear it from a Torah perspective/your perspective? This is your chance to empower her.

I agree with this. I tell my kids about these things bc I would much rather them here it for me and get the correct info then here a skewed version from their friends that might be more scary
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics