Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DC still coughing over a week- UPDATED BH
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:27 am
My preschooler has a deep cough for over a week. Her breathing isn't wheezy, but you can hear an undercurrent of... I don't know what.

It started off with her hardly coughing, and add time goes on, she coughs more and more each day.

No other symptoms. Just as happy and jolly as ever bh

Don't want to go to dr because they will freak out abt covid.I

Any ideas?

hodeez

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:28 am
They won't freak out about covid. They'll check her lungs and maybe do a test. Bad coughs can become horrid if ignored

ETA is she producing more mucus/ runny nose?

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:31 am
Please call doctor.

Success10

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:34 am
Find out if your doctor's office is going to allow you in with a child who is actively displaying Covid symptoms. They might tell you to do a test first. If it comes back negative, then they'll see her. Either way, you can't ignore this. Call up the doctor for more info. Please don't be afraid of them freaking out about Covid. They get this all day.

clowny

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:42 am
Avoiding the doctor is not a very smart idea. She might need antibiotics for a bronchitis or a pneumonia. Or it might just be nothing. A cough in young children is so common. All my preschoolers suffer on coughs, especially during the winter. It usually goes away on its own but could take 2-3 weeks.
Does it get worse at night? If yes, it’s probably just nothing. But in any case, it has to be checked out. Don’t think about covid. Call your pediatrician and they’ll guide you.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:44 am
There's a kind of gravelly heaving sound every few breaths.

I can't imagine my dr will let her in. Very cautious about covid. To the point that I don't want to call the office. Very judgy

What do you think it could be?
Could it really be something serious it she is totally fine behaviorally and energy level?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:45 am
hodeez wrote:
They won't freak out about covid. They'll check her lungs and maybe do a test. Bad coughs can become horrid if ignored

ETA is she producing more mucus/ runny nose?

I don't think nose is running. Maybe a drop stuffy?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:46 am
clowny wrote:
Avoiding the doctor is not a very smart idea. She might need antibiotics for a bronchitis or a pneumonia. Or it might just be nothing. A cough in young children is so common. All my preschoolers suffer on coughs, especially during the winter. It usually goes away on its own but could take 2-3 weeks.
Does it get worse at night? If yes, it’s probably just nothing. But in any case, it has to be checked out. Don’t think about covid. Call your pediatrician and they’ll guide you.

No, it doesn't get worse at night. It's constant.but

She suppresses it. I ask her to cough hard, too get it out, but she won't.

Success10

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Could it really be something serious it she is totally fine behaviorally and energy level?

It could turn serious c"v if you ignore it.

I don't think your dr is judging you. I would call. It's important.

clowny

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I can't imagine my dr will let her in. Very cautious about covid. To the point that I don't want to call the office. Very judgy

Behavior and energy has nothing to do with how serious this could get if left untreated. By the time you notice a difference in behavior and energy it might be too late.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don't know where you are located. BH my doctor is not scared of his patients lol.

But if I have had great experiences at pediatric urgent care by me when necessary. By me it's called PM pediatrics. Many of them also have x-ray machine and can take a chest x-ray on site.

Call ahead make sure they have the machine to take chest x-rays and see if you can go.

Motherhood

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:54 am
Ds just had this. I took him to the urgent care and asked for him to listen to his chest. He gave him medication and told us to do the nebulizer with him until symptoms pass.
Go to an urgent care that won’t freak out so fast

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:59 am
Your child needs to see a doctor to ensure that this is not serious.

If you don't like your current pediatrician, find a new one.

But its really doubtful that any doctor will see a patient who is exhibiting covid symptoms without a covid test. Would you want the doctor to treat her for flu symptoms without a flu test, or strep symptoms without a strep test?

Hope she's better soon.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 12:14 pm
Motherhood wrote:
Ds just had this. I took him to the urgent care and asked for him to listen to his chest. He gave him medication and told us to do the nebulizer with him until symptoms pass.

Thank you.
Might do urgent care, or call the dr office after hours so won't have to deal with judgey staff Sad

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 12:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Can't Believe It

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 12:18 pm
You need to get child tested for Covid to make sure you arent passing it around. Once you have a negative test the doctors office won’t be judgy.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 12:20 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
You need to get child tested for Covid to make sure you arent passing it around. Once you have a negative test the doctors office won’t be judgy.

I hear. But it takes at less 24 hrs for results. Dr doesn't believe in rapids

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 12:21 pm
Motherhood wrote:

They gave him a nebulizer for breathing difficulties without attempting to determine the cause of the difficulties, and without a covid test?

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 12:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The FDA also does not believe in rapids. They are just not dependable.

Call your Dr and follow their advice, even if you do not love their tone. This can be just a cough or it could be something else.

And refuah shlemah!

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 12:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You have been waiting a week, what’s another 24 hours? Just do it.
Or as others have said go to urgent care, they are seeing people with Covid symptoms.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics