Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Not complaining just explaining
1  2  Next

tweety1

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 9:32 am
Making a menu for the week is sooo hard. Deciding what to make each day ain't easy. Why I do it? Because I like to make a grocery/butcher order Sunday/Monday and shop everything at once rather than having to run but ingredients every day. The only thing I buy last minute is fresh fish if I'll make a fish dish. I used to buy on demand and changed. In the end I like it so much better but Sunday mornings are stressful.
Bh I'm not complaining let it be the least of my worries but nevertheless it's a pressure. Tnx for listening.

elisheva25

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 9:37 am
Try alternating schedule
This is what we do and makes things easier to plan
Sun dairy / Mon meat Shabbos left overs / Tue dairy/ Wed meat / Th dairy

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 9:37 am
Do your stores have sales? That’s how I decide. Then I scroll my Pinterest boards (where I save most of my recipes) for inspiration. Some weeks I like new recipes but some weeks I like old faves

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 9:39 am
We have Monday Macaroni Nights as a rule (the kids get mad if we skip it), so that makes it easier. Sunday is leftovers, Monday pasta, and then there's just 3 suppers left.

Frumme

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 9:52 am
I've mentioned this before-- make a bi weekly meal plan and alternate. It doesn't have to be exact meals but could be meal ideas. E.g. Mondays during week A are italian night. So you could do spaghetti and meat balls, chicken picatta, ravioli, etc. Or Mondays during week A could be schnitzel every time. I like the former method because it still lets you shop sales and have variety while giving you direction.

Ideas include pizza night (could do paninis or even meat "pizzas" to change it up), Israeli night, dairy night, Asian night, burger/sub night, Hispanic night. Etc

And then on top of that do a simple run through. Meals should have a protein, carb, and veggie/fruit. It's ok if you're light on one part if you balance it out throughout the day. For example if you had a lot of protein for lunch (black beans and rice) it's ok if dinner is mac n cheese with a side of steamed broccoli. Likewise if you have pancakes for breakfast, make sure you have more veggies and proteins in later meals

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 9:57 am
I make a menu for the month I love it that way I also know how often I have certain stuff etc.
sundays is my hardest day sometimes chicken or hotdogs always diff
Monday’s are cutlets
Tuesdays are ground meat or chicken
Wednesday’s milchig
Thursday’s I alternate between chulent and chicken

tweety1

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 9:57 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Do your stores have sales? That’s how I decide. Then I scroll my Pinterest boards (where I save most of my recipes) for inspiration. Some weeks I like new recipes but some weeks I like old faves

I decide based on what I'm in the mood of making. For exp, meatballs and spaghetti is not hard dinner, but the last couple of weeks I'm just not in the mood of it so I can't make it. I'm craving cabbage salad for a full week already, so it's on the menu this week. Yea my brain is kinda wacky.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 9:58 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I make a menu for the month I love it that way I also know how often I have certain stuff etc.
Monday’s are cutlets
Wednesday’s milchig

You make chulent during the week?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 10:00 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
You make chulent during the week?

Thursday nights it’s a major hit I do it like every 3/4 weeks!!

tweety1

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 10:00 am
Monday’s are cutlets
Wednesday’s milchig

I find milchig suppers the hardest. Because I find it pretty hard to make filling. On my menu this week Wednesday I actually put down fish. Not sure yet what though. I want it to be delicious, not salmon, don't mind a bit of patchka either. So I'm busy searching my cookbook library for something I'll be in the mood.

tweety1

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 10:03 am
Thursday nights it’s a major hit I do it like every 3/4 weeks!!

Sundays and Thursdays I do what I call a lazy supper. Today I making roasted broccoli and cold cut pizza. I bough ready baked pizza dough. Thursdays I wanna do so kind of instapot chicken, bake frozen potato blintzes, and Nish nosh salad. All these besides sauteeing the cold cuts take under 2 min to prepare.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 10:06 am
tweety1 wrote:
I find milchig suppers the hardest. Because I find it pretty hard to make filling. On my menu this week Wednesday I actually put down fish. Not sure yet what though. I want it to be delicious, not salmon, don't mind a bit of patchka either. So I'm busy searching my cookbook library for something I'll be in the mood.

I actually make a soup most times with milchig cause I find it not so filling
Lasagnas
Brinner breakfast for dinner (big hit) I let everyone choose what egg they want I cut up a ton of veggies get fresh rolls.
Ziti
Fresh fish only salmon goes by us
Tuna patties or salmon patties
Tuna with noodles
Cheese latkes

Frumme

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 10:24 am
tweety1 wrote:

Filling milchig dinner ideas:
Quesadillas with black beans or refried beans
Chana masala/Dal makhani
Parmesan crusted lemon tilapia (If you mix dairy with fish)
Grilled cheese with sprouted grain bread (e.g. like Angelic Bakehouse. They also sell sprouted wraps for quesadillas)
Lasagna with tofu ricotta
Burritos or burrito bowls with all of the fixings
Quiches
Scrambled eggs (or huevos rancheros)
Omelettes
Veggie burgers with or without cheese
Salad with flaked salmon and feta

If you don't feel weird about it, you can also use fake meat alternatives in your dairy cooking. E.g. TJs fake ground "beef" in a vegetarian chili & you can top it with shredded cheese or sour cream.

Motherhood

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 10:32 am

I also have a monthly menu and I love use! Re milchig, I usually make parve Wednesday such as fish and vegetables or any other side dish.

tichellady

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 10:37 am
I wish I was together enough to make a menu.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 10:39 am
tichellady wrote:
I wish I was together enough to make a menu.

It takes work for those not used to doing it but try it. You will get used to it and love it

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 10:47 am
If you write down what you had for supper every day, for a month, you have a ready menu, the next.
Now is the time to use up chametz ingredients, so check your pantry.
Scroll the "what's for supper" thread for inspiration.
There is also imamother cookbook for a year.
Check out the sales online, of your supermarket, before planning your menus

I used to make a menu plan, write down all ing & then head to supermarket.
Today, I go first & according to the sale items, I decide on the menu in the grocery.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 10:48 am
I make a weekly menu based on sales and/or family requests (or personal cravings). The circulars come on Thursday so from Thursday- Saturday night I work on my grocery list (I use an app so I edit as needed). I place my order to be delivered on Sunday.

tweety1

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 10:49 am
It takes work for those not used to doing it but try it. You will get used to it and love it

It takes alot of work. But in the end I love it. I'm not doing for long at all, only a few weeks, so it will take time getting used to for sure.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 10:55 am
OP I hear you.
My sundays/mondays are so stressful. To menu plan and shop. I don't have leftovers to rely on. Not even last night. And I make a ton for shabbos every week.
Instead of menu planning exact details, I figure 5 proteins: chicken legs, chicken breast, ground beef, some of these I use twice. Or something easy like falafel or hot dogs or chicken wings or shwarma.

Then I make sure I have 5 starches on hand: noodles, couscous, potatoes, rice, French fries

And I buy lots of fruits and vegetables.

That way I can last minute decide what to cook, whatever I'm in the mood of.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics