Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is this ok?!

English3

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 6:01 am
My son came home telling me that he and another five boys are in another room for the afternoon. He is four years old and looks like the teachers can't cope with the class. They have 21 kids and three teachers from one day to the next they took out six kids. I was fuming, I spoke to the teacher and she said that there is loads of difficult kids in the class so the principal decided to split the class. The principal said that the teacher should not inform the parents. Is this not crazy? Why should my child be punished BC the teachers can't discipline, she said that this will be till after Pesach.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 6:04 am
It depends what they're doing in that other room? If they're learning the same lessons just in a smaller group, what's the issue?

I have started sending kids for small group support in my classroom and only sent the parents an email letting them know after a few days where I see if it's good for the kid. (I always discuss with the parents ahead of time that I'm considering this because XYZ if ABC happens, do they mind?)

English3

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 6:09 am
Yes they are learning the same stuff but I was not informed. I hate it that they are going behind my back.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 6:25 am
English3 wrote:
Yes they are learning the same stuff but I was not informed. I hate it that they are going behind my back.

Has this been going on for days or was this the first day and they were trialing it to see if it helped/ was the right mix of boys for the other room and they would let you know once it was finalized?

English3

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 6:41 am
It been going on from Monday it bothered me that the principal said that they shouldn't tell the parent

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 6:49 am
English3 wrote:
It been going on from Monday it bothered me that the principal said that they shouldn't tell the parent

Then that's strange that they were davka told not to tell.

I would prefer my kid be in a small group than uncontrolled class though.

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 6:57 am
My guess is they didn't want parents pushing on how their kid should be in the smaller group.

Your DS probably got lucky. Stop and take an impartial look, to the best of your ability, as to how DS is doing with this.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 8:59 am
I would be peeved also if I wasn’t informed.

Important information should be coming from adults. I hate when I find out stiff from my young child. I’m happy that he shares everything but I get annoyed with the adults for not telling me n

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:08 am
If it's just for afew short weeks, I don't think it's such a big of a deal that you're hearing it from your child. Do they take out different kids every day or the same kids go every day? Are they out all day?

professor

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:13 am
When your son told you about it, did he sound upset? Neutral? Excited? Did you ask if he had fun in school that day? Did his morah teach him the same as always?

I would love it if my child gets a group of only 6 kids for a few hours. So unless he was made to feel like it's some sort of punishment, I would not be concerned.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:14 am
Where I work, we've done things like splitting classes. But we would always tell parents, we're thinking of doing x and will trial it for the coming week, and if it goes well, we'll continue with it. I wouldn't be so impressed if my kids school did it to me without telling me. But from being on the other side of organizing things and I know how easy it is to forget telling people.

OOTforlife

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:17 am
I would be fine with the temporary class division and also would not consider it a big deal that they didn't mention it.

I would be very disturbed if they affirmatively instructed the kids to keep it a secret from their parents. That is an inappropriate instruction to give. And anyone who works in education should know that. It is unprofessional and unhealthy for the kids.

That being said, I would want to confirm that the second thing happened before getting upset about it. Maybe your child misunderstood what was said.

Edit: I think I misunderstood. Sounds like the teachers were the ones instructed not to tell, not the kids. I don't love it, but it's much less problematic than my original understanding.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics