Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What did you use your stimulus money on?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

What did you use your stimulus money on?
Straight into savings  
 31%  [ 50 ]
Debt/mortgage  
 19%  [ 31 ]
Big purchases  
 11%  [ 18 ]
Just used it all around  
 19%  [ 31 ]
Paying off debt and the rest into savings  
 8%  [ 14 ]
Other  
 8%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 157

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 1:06 pm
1st round we used to pay off credit card debt.

2nd round was much smaller. Used for daily life.

3rd round I want to set aside for upcoming moving expenses.

Fox

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 1:13 pm
My cleaning lady/housekeeper is here illegally, She was brought to the U.S. from Mexico as a 12-year-old and spent 3 days locked in the back of a cargo van with a single 16-ounce bottle of water.

I asked around and found her a good immigration lawyer and paid the retainer. He discovered that she is eligible to apply for a specific type of visa, and that paperwork has now been filed. She is on the path to a residency permit and eventually citizenship. The whole process will likely take about a decade.

It's really heartwarming, though. She is very excited to be filing taxes this year even though she'll have to pay. She says that complaining about taxes makes her feel like a "normal" American.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 1:14 pm
Lots of dept built up over last few years, and lots more from covid. I was out of job for few months, my husband's was cut down alot, and overall covid-related expenses, including paying for subs for out jobs when I was out with covid for close to a month this year. I was able to file for unemployment for some of the time, but not for all.
First 2 went to pay up all that debt, and third will help get us back into a good place iy"H. Yes, here and there I did spend some on non-essensials, but I think that's just the human thing to do.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 1:16 pm
Look at the poll and see how many just on Imamother used the stimulus for everything other than debt or food.

This stimulus bill is garbage. Hard working tax payer dollars to go into people’s savings account or buy a new dishwasher, or a brand new iPhone.

Guess what, I pay heavy taxes, but I own very little savings, have no dishwasher at all, and live in a 2 bedroom apartment for almost 20 years.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 1:16 pm
Day to day expenses. I'm still out of a job, but don't qualify for unemployment. My husband's business took a huge decrease in sales around then, and was closed for a bit.
But which third? We got one.

TravelHearter

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 1:29 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Look at the poll and see how many just on Imamother used the stimulus for everything other than debt or food.

This stimulus bill is garbage. Hard working tax payer dollars to go into people’s savings account or buy a new dishwasher, or a brand new iPhone.

Guess what, I pay heavy taxes, but I own very little savings, have no dishwasher at all, and live in a 2 bedroom apartment for almost 20 years.

While you may have a point, you can’t use a poll from Imamother to base your opinion on. I don’t think majority of those on here work in grocery stores or as delivery drivers or Uber etc (if you do, great. I just don’t think it’s a large percentage). These stimulus checks help out those struggling financially due to being laid off from low income/lower class jobs.

I think as frum people we have a lot more expenses so we generally make more money and are on a different income bracket than most non Jews. We do end up spending every dime etc on Jewish things (school etc).

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 1:31 pm
My husband used it as an investment to grow his business.

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 1:32 pm
Didn’t get it

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 1:33 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Thanks to dh not having a SSN, I never got the first payment (though since they changed the rules I now hope to be able to get it after filing my taxes). The second one was relatively small and just went to daily expenses since I lost out on a lot of income this year. The third round we hope to use to help put in a new bathroom. We haven't done any work on our home and have been living here well over a decade and it was already extremely run down when we moved in.

how has not having a ssn effect getting the stimulus
do you mean he is not an american citizen?

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 1:38 pm

A stimulus check is not the same thing as an unemployement check.... the idea is to go out and spend it... on anything. Its not earmarked to cover basic needs.

in other words....

A stimulus check is a check sent to a taxpayer by the U.S. government. Stimulus checks are intended to stimulate the economy by providing consumers with some spending money. When taxpayers spend this money, it boosts consumption and drives revenues at retailers and manufacturers and thus spurs the economy..

Further... what makes you think its your tax dollars that are funding this??

TravelHearter

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 1:40 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Day to day expenses. I'm still out of a job, but don't qualify for unemployment. My husband's business took a huge decrease in sales around then, and was closed for a bit.
But which third? We got one.

There were two and a third is getting approved

chanchy123

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 1:40 pm
Fox wrote:
My cleaning lady/housekeeper is here illegally, She was brought to the U.S. from Mexico as a 12-year-old and spent 3 days locked in the back of a cargo van with a single 16-ounce bottle of water.

I asked around and found her a good immigration lawyer and paid the retainer. He discovered that she is eligible to apply for a specific type of visa, and that paperwork has now been filed. She is on the path to a residency permit and eventually citizenship. The whole process will likely take about a decade.

It's really heartwarming, though. She is very excited to be filing taxes this year even though she'll have to pay. She says that complaining about taxes makes her feel like a "normal" American.

Wow such an amazing chessed

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 1:47 pm

You win the "most victimized/poorest" prize on Imamother today! We're so proud of you.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 2:29 pm
I wish tuition were an option because it would probably win. That’s where mine went.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 2:39 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
You win the "most victimized/poorest" prize on Imamother today! We're so proud of you.

Really I can be the winner, cause we have $0 in savings, and live in a tiny old broken rented apartment with big kids who have ADHD.
Our check will go Straight to pay off our large balances.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 2:40 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Really I can be the winner, cause we have $0 in savings, and live in a tiny old broken rented apartment with big kids who have ADHD.
Our check will go Straight to pay off our large balances.

I can't be the winner. I will hand over the prize! Do you want it in chocolate?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 2:41 pm

Why do you think that those of us who received the stimulus don’t pay heavy taxes? And 2 bedrooms??! Luxury! I live in a 1 room studio.

Your bitterness won’t get you anywhere. Let it go

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 2:53 pm
Rent

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 2:58 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
I wish tuition were an option because it would probably win. That’s where mine went.

Me too. Tuition and camp.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 3:01 pm
Savings. They'll probably eventually go for a down payment.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics